In a Democracy....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
In a Democracy do the citizens have a right to know everything? Or does the nature of the United States being Republic mean we should have faith that the people who represent us are chosing wisely for us?

Peace to all......

That we elected certain ppl..I think its our way of saying-
"We trust you to handle the affairs of our country"..

If they break the law then that is a different issue..

dB9

You're using the terms interchangably, which is incorrect. In a democracy, by definition, the people have direct involvement on their own governing. So, yes, in a democracy, citizens do have a right to know everything. In a republic, which is what the United States was founded on, citizens are represented by elected officials who vote for them; hence, the question becomes a bit grayer.

However, in practice, the United States is more of a hybrid democratic republic, perhaps thanks to Progressive activism in the first third of the 20th century. In essence, what I think we have is the inevitable outgrowth of this conflict between the government that the Founding Fathers created--a republic--and the de-facto emergence of democracy. What is different is the American public itself, where there was a high disparity between the education levels of the elected officials and the populace, which was highly incapable of running itself. Even Plato admitted that a democracy was contingent on an educated populace, which was absent in the foundation of the United States.

Things have changed, though, and we have many citizens who are smarter than our elected officials. Perhaps as a tribute to our never-ending inquisitiveness, we demand a more active involvement in how our elected officials operate. In theory, our elected officials are supposed to represent their district, but, as we all know, that is often not the case. Partisanship seems to be the name of the game, and the platform that these individuals are elected on are often so vague that we all know it is deceptive. The republic, itself, is becoming a failure, as our elected officials are failing in their duty to their district, primarily to be honest in what they plan on doing in office. Democracy is the natural outgrowth of this distrust, and, as such, that is why citizens do have the right to know the truth, rather than be fed a bunch of lies to protect those in power.

Melon

I think its not correct to say that citizens have the literal right to Know "everything". Historically, to many military operations and lives would have been compromised and lost if, citizens knew everything. If you or I knew everything, then so would the enemy. That would put our security in jeopardy and therefore, our freedom as well.

STING2 said:
I think its not correct to say that citizens have the literal right to Know "everything". Historically, to many military operations and lives would have been compromised and lost if, citizens knew everything. If you or I knew everything, then so would the enemy. That would put our security in jeopardy and therefore, our freedom as well.

:up:

melon said:
You're using the terms interchangably, which is incorrect. In a democracy, by definition, the people have direct involvement on their own governing. So, yes, in a democracy, citizens do have a right to know everything. In a republic, which is what the United States was founded on, citizens are represented by elected officials who vote for them; hence, the question becomes a bit grayer.

However, in practice, the United States is more of a hybrid democratic republic, perhaps thanks to Progressive activism in the first third of the 20th century. In essence, what I think we have is the inevitable outgrowth of this conflict between the government that the Founding Fathers created--a republic--and the de-facto emergence of democracy. What is different is the American public itself, where there was a high disparity between the education levels of the elected officials and the populace, which was highly incapable of running itself. Even Plato admitted that a democracy was contingent on an educated populace, which was absent in the foundation of the United States.

Things have changed, though, and we have many citizens who are smarter than our elected officials. Perhaps as a tribute to our never-ending inquisitiveness, we demand a more active involvement in how our elected officials operate. In theory, our elected officials are supposed to represent their district, but, as we all know, that is often not the case. Partisanship seems to be the name of the game, and the platform that these individuals are elected on are often so vague that we all know it is deceptive. The republic, itself, is becoming a failure, as our elected officials are failing in their duty to their district, primarily to be honest in what they plan on doing in office. Democracy is the natural outgrowth of this distrust, and, as such, that is why citizens do have the right to know the truth, rather than be fed a bunch of lies to protect those in power.

Melon

melon said:

Melon

Excellent Post Melon....The terms are not interchangable in our case....but I think the nature of Republic is a bit contrary to the nature of Democracy? Yes no?

melon said:

Melon

you are definetely correct that the american public is much more educated now than at any other time in the past, melon. however, i am unconvinced that this level of education translates into a more 'responsible' citizenship, for lack of a better word. increasingly, the american public is at the mercy of a highly centralized mass media, with few owners and diverse interests.

i don't know that the american people, or the people of any nation, are better off in spite of increasing education levels.

Let's throw this out, and then run away

kobayashi said:

increasingly, the american public is at the mercy of a highly centralized mass media, with few owners and diverse interests.

Which our elected officials have allowed to take place because of their personal and financial ties to these media owners.

STING2 said:

Sting,

This is one thing that concerns me. WHen do the citizens have the right to know everything. Is it months, years, decades from the event?

My fear is that this can be used to manipulate the people living in the country.

I do recognize that in many cases it is important for secrecy. Just concerned.

Peace to all.

Back
Top Bottom