Imus Calls Rutgers Women's Basketball Team "Nappy Headed Hos" - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2007, 09:04 AM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:52 PM
If I said such a thing in the work place or in the National Guard, I would be reprimanded or even fired.

As a society, we have agreed this sort of talk "crosses the line" of decency and appropriateness.

If he worked for me, he would probably be fired. Maybe I would give him one more chance, but since he is such a “visible” employee – I would probably have to let him go. MSNBC is free to do what they need/want to.

In Northern California, I work at a place that has a great mix of different races and backgrounds. However, in order for us to all work together, we must agree to obey certain ground rules. And one of those ground rules is not making racially insensitive comments. Perhaps it is unfair, but if you allow it – then escalation becomes an issue.

In general, when I witness borderline comments – I will take the engineer aside and calmly counsel them about why such talk is not only ethically wrong, it is also damaging to the team spirit.

My “intolerance” works both ways.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:59 AM   #92
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:52 AM
Well the politicians will continue to go on his show, but

Baseball star Cal Ripken Jr., who was to appear on Imus' show later this week to promote a book, has canceled his appearance, according to the Washington Times.

With his two week suspension it won't matter, but at least he took a stand. I'm not surprised, he is and always has been a class act.

Don Imus has a consistent pattern of these types of comments. Yes he's supposed to be a "shock jock" and they get away with such comments-until they cross a certain line and get called on it. It requires intelligence to come up with better "humor" than that, but that type is easy and obviously they get an audience. I'm sure he has other content that's informative and fun to listen to, so why does he have to sink to that level?

I saw William Cohen on CNN last night and he mentioned how much Imus' comments about his interracial marriage hurt him and his wife (he made comments about "jungle fever" and some other awful comments about his wife). And yet they were willing to go on his show and talk about their new book about their marriage-which is in part about the racism and racist comments they have faced.

Something tells me that if Don Imus met with those young women from Rutgers, they would outclass him by miles in how they treated him and forgave him for what he said. He didn't put their interests above himself by making those comments, or by making any of his other numerous offensive comments over the years. Yeah Gwen Ifill is a real "cleaning woman", how could anyone defend that? Is Imus jealous of her accomplishments or something? Why would he say something like that? When someone has a consistent pattern of these types of comments, regardless of being a "shock jock", it has to come from somewhere.

I think Rabbi Gellman summed it up well, he's a very wise man. Imus should listen to him.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:31 AM   #93
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Well Al Sharpton is a piece of shit anyways. A man of God judging and demanding blood instead of doing what his Master (God) asks for and that's forgiveness. I don't agree with what Imus said, but it's a free country and he can say what he wants and he knows by saying words like that can lead to him being called Racist. So in the end screw Sharpton and Imus.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:47 AM   #94
Blue Crack Supplier

and i just walked by the TV in the lobby and the entire basketball team was holding a news conference.

this whole thing has been blown way, way out of proportion.

he should have just called them "faggots" and then no one would have actually cared.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:53 AM   #95
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

this whole thing has been blown way, way out of proportion.

he should have just called them "faggots" and then no one would have actually cared.
I agree with both these statements.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:00 PM   #96
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I agree with both these statements.
I agree, and Al Sharpton was the one who blew it out proportions and the media.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:05 PM   #97
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
and i just walked by the TV in the lobby and the entire basketball team was holding a news conference.
They need to show people their faces and personalities in order to dispel Imus' characterization.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:14 PM   #98
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:52 AM
^ I tend to agree that's a good idea, although it would've been better if they'd done it sooner, IMO.

I'm still surprised he was suspended, really didn't see that coming.

Gellman's article is the best thing I've seen come out of all this so far, and it applies to lots more than just Don Imus and his show, I think. Unfortunately that sort of thoughtful reflection on how these kinds of things matter (and how they don't) tends to get drowned out by all the spectacle-mongering.

On the other hand, I'm sure some would say that's just karma biting Don Imus in the ass.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-10-2007, 12:18 PM   #99
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar

They need to show people their faces and personalities in order to dispel Imus' characterization.

did anyone, anywhere, even for a second, believe his characterization, including Imus?

or was this just a piss-poor attempt at a joke?
Old 04-10-2007, 12:25 PM   #100
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

did anyone, anywhere, even for a second, believe his characterization, including Imus?

or was this just a piss-poor attempt at a joke?
I'm sure some of his listeners believed it. Imus has given his side of the story ad nauseam, and it's only fair that the players give their side.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:38 PM   #101
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I'm sure some of his listeners believed it. Imus has given his side of the story ad nauseam, and it's only fair that the players give their side.

and i think you underestimate ... well, everyone.

people might believe Imus's version of why he said what he said, but no one believes that national champion basketball players are "nappy headed ho's."

what's happened is that a conflict has been created where there needn't be one. these women shouldn't legitimize the bad joke by responding as if it were a serious accusation.

saying, "well, guess what, i'm not a nappy-headed ho," isn't terribly dignified, in my opinion. of course they're not. of course John Edwards isn't a "faggot." a simple statement about how the comments might be hurtful in a larger context -- perpetuating stereotypes about black women, for example -- might be helpful, but this whole standing up to say, "i'm not a ho" makes my stomach turn.

as if John Edwards should have to say, "i'm not a faggot."
Old 04-10-2007, 12:47 PM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

and i think you underestimate ... well, everyone.

people might believe Imus's version of why he said what he said, but no one believes that national champion basketball players are "nappy headed ho's."

what's happened is that a conflict has been created where there needn't be one. these women shouldn't legitimize the bad joke by responding as if it were a serious accusation.
I said some, just like some people believe Iraq was behind 9/11. So I am not underestimating people.

Imus also said other comments that people may be more likely to believe:
“That’s some rough girls from Rutgers,” Imus said. “Man, they got tattoos ...”.

They were right to hold the news conference in order to show that they are not faceless people and to express their hurt over the incident.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:00 PM   #103
Blue Crack Supplier

i guess i have more faith than you do. and if someone believes it, so what? maybe some people think John Edwards is gay because he has good hair and probably uses good products. the point is still that we're making a bigger deal out of this than need be, and we're legitimizing the comments that weren't meant to be accusations, simply a bad joke told from a racist viewpoint.

my goodness, what would happen if every time someone, somewhere said something about gay people had to apologize? would we get an apology from, say, the Texas State Legislature who didn't want "those people" to be able to adopt?

people say stupid things all the time. people are right to turn off Imus. MSNBC is right to suspend him. Imus is right to explain himself. what's pushed me over the edge is this "i'm not a ho" news conference.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:11 PM   #104
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I agree-and in order for them to be able to state how much it hurt them as well. I'm sure they could have turned down that opportunity if they chose. If having that press conference allowed them to say that one of them plays four musical instruments, that they are accomplished students, that they love their teammates and just show them for the beautiful girls that they are then I say bravo-it's their right. How they feel about that being said about them can never be blown out of proportion and has nothing to do with Don Imus or Al Sharpton or anyone else. Don Imus has been all over the media talking about his feelings about the whole thing, so this was their chance. Their meeting with him will be private.

I think there are people in this country who believe that national champion ballplayers are nappy headed hos-they may or may not say so publicly, and they don't have the public airwaves that Imus does.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #105
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
If having that press conference allowed them to say that one of them plays four musical instruments, that they are accomplished students, that they love their teammates and just show them for the beautiful girls that they are then I say bravo-it's their right.

of course it's their right, but that doesn't mean that it's doing anything to help the situation. if all this is true, which it is, why, then, the need to say, "but i'm not a ho."

and i still think this has all been completely blown out of proportion. i see no reason on earth as to why this is more important than the fact that iraq is crumbling before our eyes and Iran just whipped the West in a PR game and exposed, yet again, how things like Gitmo have destroyed the credibility of the United States.