Imus Calls Rutgers Women's Basketball Team "Nappy Headed Hos"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: why so much empathy for the homophobe?

deep said:

do you think if he only said "these girls are ruff, they are thugs"

we would even be talking about this?

no. and that's where Imus fucked up.

in trying to be funny, he instead called upon racist stereotypes. why? is he a racist? who knows.

MrsSpringsteen said:
The Rutgers team just wants to be human beings Justin, and be recognized for their achivements in the same way that everyone is. And having Imus call them nappy headed hos the day after they reached the pinnacle, well that was a slap in the face and a hard thing to take. That has nothing to do with Sharpton or Jesse Jackson or tit for tat or hypocrisy. It is about them.

but this isn't about Imus belitting the women's basketball team.

it's about Imus making a racist remark about the women's basektball team.

his comments never betlittled them to anyone in anyone's mind. no one for a second believed they were "nappy-headed hos." the issue here is what Imus invoked in order to be funny, what is not at issue is the achievements of these women. the issue is racial stereotypes, not women's sports.

Sharpton said, "You are not a racist you are a good person that made a racist remark"

I hope someday homophobic remarks / behavior will be treated the same way as racists remarks.

We have clear examples of racists and anti-Semites - Klansmen and (Neo) Nazis

people like Imus and Mel Gibson are just people that have made bigoted remarks,
they do not have a history of advocating racists views or anti-Semite beliefs.

I just think it might not be a bad thing if Imus ends up with a different kind of program
and sends his sidekicks down the road to fend for themselves.

MrsSpringsteen said:

I think perhaps what you mean, and what I agree with, is that in doing that press conference they are no longer just the "victims" of Imus and the "nappy headed hos" (not that they are obviously, but in light of these comments they are being called that). They are individuals, they have names and faces and personalities, they are a team. They are not famous enough that most people know them by name and face, let alone about their athletic and academic achievements. Reading about them isn't the same-so the press conference was about that, not about answering for or to anything.

And another, more practical reason for doing the press conference could have been to get the media stalkers off their backs.

From the Rutgers website, regarding the players:
"We would ask the media to stop trying to call or text message them and remind them that we have departmental policies about contacting student-athletes and the media understands any requests for contact must come through the Athletic Communications Office. Nothing should tarnish the magnitude of the team's accomplishments this year.
"

deep said:

People should watch the sharptom imus interview

When Imus said "I am not a Racist, I am a good person"

Sharpton said, "You are not a racist you are a good person that made a racist remark"

I totally 100% felt that Sharpton handled the situation on his radio show perfectly.

I also felt that other when Imus went after the other news reporter, he did a great job.

I was impressed with the two of them, and it gives me hope that some good can come of this.

Justin24 said:
All People are fucking Hypocrites. Example. http://break.com/index/double_standard.html

Where was Al and Jesse to Condem this. Or will I hear, the usual "Oh well it's different if it is political or said by some one that is not white. This is why I hate the Word "Race" it's a word more racist that nappy, jiggabo, cracker, spick and so on. Why can't we just be human beings.

Are you going to post this video everytime a thread on race comes up?

Come on Justin, you can't possibly think this is the same thing. One is a popular DJ with a huge following who makes his living on his views, some of which are often sexist, racist, and homophobic. The other is an extremist with a following of about 5. :|

And you can't possibly think the word 'race' is more racist than 'spick' or 'jigaboo'.:huh:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Are you going to post this video everytime a thread on race comes up?

Come on Justin, you can't possibly think this is the same thing. One is a popular DJ with a huge following who makes his living on his views, some of which are often sexist, racist, and homophobic. The other is an extremist with a following of about 5. :|

And you can't possibly think the word 'race' is more racist than 'spick' or 'jigaboo'.:huh:

Well it does not matter. Imus is just like all of us. The only difference is the amount of money he makes.

How can you say that it's nothing compared to what Imus said. Both men are equal scum bags. I hear plenty of Hip-Hop stations joke around about Woman, gays, etc... but no one really cares.

Irvine511 said:

do you really think these women were paralyzed with hurt? do you really think they cried themselves to sleep at night?

Well one of them said, and I quote:

"This has scarred me for life....I've experienced racism before....it's something I will remember and tell my granddaughter about someday."

So I'm not sure anyone on this thread is the best gauge of how they felt. They have a right to be offended if they were offended. I don't know that the press conference was necessary (I think it probably wasn't), but at the same time, this is not what is at the root of the issue. It's not the press conference or its necessity, it's not Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson either.

Justin24 said:

Imus is just like all of us.

In what way?

Justin24 said:

How can you say that it's nothing compared to what Imus said. Both men are equal scum bags. I hear plenty of Hip-Hop stations joke around about Woman, gays, etc... but no one really cares.

When those hip hop stations have the same size audience as Imus, believe me people will say something.

Oh, and to say "all people are hypocrites" is just as bad as a generalization as anything.

keep this in mind about the press conference

they have been at the center of a media circus

there is something to be said for asserting yourself, taking control of a situation

instead of being the victim and having to react to it.

I think this one press conference will give them back a lot of control over their lives
that was taken from them

BonoVoxSupastar said:

In what way?

When those hip hop stations have the same size audience as Imus, believe me people will say something.

Oh, and to say "all people are hypocrites" is just as bad as a generalization as anything.

In what way?? Do celebrities breath different air than us. Do they eat, sleep, drink, smoke, have sex, etc.... All that is different is the amount of money I have compared to the amount he has. So any one is ceceptable to racial slurs. And we all make the same mistakes.

On your hip hop raido comment. Does that mean they are just as racist as Imus and are the people who listen, call in and laugh and agree as guilty as imus?

Justin24 said:

In what way?? Do celebrities breath different air than us. Do they eat, sleep, drink, smoke, have sex, etc.... All that is different is the amount of money I have compared to the amount he has. So any one is ceceptable to racial slurs. And we all make the same mistakes.

On your hip hop raido comment. Does that mean they are just as racist as Imus and are the people who listen, call in and laugh and agree as guilty as imus?

You're not understanding what I'm saying. Yes a racist comment is a racist comment, a sexist comment is a sexist comment...

But the impact is different. If you're a national DJ or celebrity it's going to get heard by many more than if you said something.

So Al Sharpton isn't going to go after you, that's just a given.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You're not understanding what I'm saying. Yes a racist comment is a racist comment, a sexist comment is a sexist comment...

But the impact is different. If you're a national DJ or celebrity it's going to get heard by many more than if you said something.

So Al Sharpton isn't going to go after you, that's just a given.

No I do understand what you are saying. But let's just say I decided to say all black people are nappy headed jiggaboo when a reporter comes up to me and asks for my opinion. I can guarantee you Sharpton would be at my door step in a second.

The speaker in that Cspan Video was televised nationally, yet there was no outcry?

Justin24 said:
But let's just say I decided to say all black people are nappy headed jiggaboo when a reporter comes up to me and asks for my opinion. I can guarantee you Sharpton would be at my door step in a second.

there you go

you made a flawless argument

we all just better give up, right now :bow:

Justin24 said:

But let's just say I decided to say all black people are nappy headed jiggaboo when a reporter comes up to me and asks for my opinion. I can guarantee you Sharpton would be at my door step in a second.

No, he wouldn't bother. You would just be written off as another ignorant racist redneck.

Just like that guy was written off as another extremist.

deep said:
keep this in mind about the press conference
they have been at the center of a media circus
there is something to be said for asserting yourself, taking control of a situation
instead of being the victim and having to react to it.

I agree-and I forgot what they said about being hounded by the media, they said it really disrupted their Easter holiday with their families.

I agree with anitram, no one else is the best judge of how they felt or should feel about the remarks-all that truly matters is how they feel. I think their achievements are part of the issue-and they do as well. The timing of it is important in that regard too- it was the day after (or thereabouts as far as I understand) they reached the pinnacle athletically. The fact that no one believes they are nappy headed hos (and I would dispute that, there are people in the world who would believe that or something similar) is irrelevant to how the young women feel. Personally if I was a young woman on that team or any such team and someone like Imus called me a ho, let alone nappy headed, I would feel belittled. I have been called a ho (whore to be exact) more than once and have felt that way. It's a slur that some people like to use when they have nothing else to say, and it's a weapon in that way. No matter who says such a word to me, I feel belittled. It hurts the most if it's someone you care about, but it hurts at the time and in the future. The fact that he said it on a radio show and not to their faces really doesn't make much difference-and it must be worse because it's on a national stage.

Justin24 said:

No I do understand what you are saying. But let's just say I decided to say all black people are nappy headed jiggaboo when a reporter comes up to me and asks for my opinion. I can guarantee you Sharpton would be at my door step in a second.

The speaker in that Cspan Video was televised nationally, yet there was no outcry?

The guy in the video has some serious issues with insanity, and that isn't cured by giving him more attention than he deserves.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

What do you not get?:huh:

I have explained it many times and you have read it. This shit is totaly biased. First off I though we were a nation that is supposed to set an example. We are supposed to be people of tollerence a people who wants to get rid of bigotry,racism, homosexual hate remarks.

I do not agree with what Imus said. But look at how the media and the different group pounce him for his remarks. Yes he is a public figure and he should know better and he made a mistake. Now a professor in African American Studies Mr. Kamau Kambon spoke out against congress and white people in General, calling for their extermination on TV where Millions of people watch.

But what I see here is let's hang Imus, but oh the not so important racist Kamau Kambon oh let's just slide that under the rug. Why do we slide it under the rug, is it because the white man is the devil and has to be looked upon differently from other people of color?

Can we just forget about the color barrier for once?

Vincent Vega said:

The guy in the video has some serious issues with insanity, and that isn't cured by giving him more attention than he deserves.

So Mr. Vega. I know you don't live in the US, but can you tell me why the media and black leaders ignored this man?

Even though he may a nobody, words and ideas can carry on.

Justin24 said:

But what I see here is let's hang Imus, but oh the not so important racist Kamau Kambon oh let's just slide that under the rug. Why do we slide it under the rug, is it because the white man is the devil and has to be looked upon differently from other people of color?

See now you are being ridiculous and YOU are now playing the race card.

Show me someone of the same stature and you will have a point, but right now you are comparing a forest to a plant.

Justin24 said:
We are supposed to be people of tollerence a people who wants to get rid of bigotry,racism, homosexual hate remarks.

But look at how the media and the different group pounce him for his remarks.

Can we just forget about the color barrier for once?

Justin ...

If we want to get rid of the remarks, why should the media not pounce on him for his remarks?

Your post is contradictory. You want the remarks to go away but criticize the media for jumping on the remarks?

Weren't you just complaining about the media not jumping on other people?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

See now you are being ridiculous and YOU are now playing the race card.

Show me someone of the same stature and you will have a point, but right now you are comparing a forest to a plant.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Now I know how you feel sometimes.

I am not being fucking ridiculous, but this is so true of what I said, but as usual it's not a valid view or point.

Justin24 said:
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I am not being fucking ridiculous,

So it's ok to compare a forest to a plant?

How many times do white people say something and it goes unnoticed by the media?

Come on Justin!!!

Last edited:
Justin24 said:

So Mr. Vega. I know you don't live in the US, but can you tell me why the media and black leaders ignored this man?

Even though he may a nobody, words and ideas can carry on.

Because you live in the country of free market economy, where the media is interested in making a buck.

The media is selective.

What should they do about it? They also don't make a big issue out of every white man talking shit. Only if it sells.

What this man said is way more ridiculous, but do you want to act as a soundboard by giving him more attention?

Cases are different, reactions are different and these things have a very own dynamic.

I like the idea of him having to go to the games and promote the team and do features about them, that's much better than firing him.

"The wise and all-knowing council that I meet every morning at Peet's Coffee strongly suggested that I not waste my time writing about the Don Imus fiasco. It is one of those issues where reasonable people need not spend many hours musing over whether Imus' statement crossed the line.

After all, in the 21st century he called the Rutgers University women's basketball team "nappy-headed hos." Case closed.
But with all due respect to my omniscient council this story is too salacious to pass up.

The Imus affair reminds us of the dangers when one mixes privilege, arrogance, and ignorance--it can produce social toxins, as in this case, racism and misogyny. He has over the years offered up inflammatory, politically incorrect statements to titillate his many listeners.

I disagree with those who naïvely hold out that the incident could be the genesis of ongoing dialogue about race, class, and gender. If the aftermath of Katrina did not birth such talks why would the Imus affair be any different?

Beyond the statement itself, Imus may have demonstrated his insensitivity more by failing to comprehend the gravity of his reprehensible remarks by taking two days to apologize.

He could afford to be quite cavalier with the humanity of the women in question without having to pay any price--or so the thought. He saw them as nobodies, certainly beneath his perceived rank in life, definitely posing no threat to his syndicated shock-jock talk show.

I also found a bit of comedic irony in that Imus apologized on Al Sharpton's radio show. Imus' apology, be it forced, unrepentant, or inauthentic still trumps Sharpton who has yet, to my knowledge, publicly apologized for the 1987 media circus known as the Tawana Brawley affair.

What should happen to Imus going forward? Should the two-week suspension he received suffice? Or should he be fired? Two weeks hardly seems sufficient for one who has made a living with periodic insults that clearly cross the lines of decency.

But Imus is unique in that he attempts to walk the unstructured line between serious journalism and shock-jock. He uses well-known media figures of the chattering class to grant him legitimacy as he engages in all of the trappings of AM shock-jock talk radio.

I find the fate of many shock jocks to be reminiscent of drug dealers. Just as the fate dealers often ends in prison or violent death, the shock jock, always in competition to outdo self, will ultimately cross the line of what is acceptable once too often.

But what is to be gained by firing Imus? I understand the visceral cries for his dismissal, but I fear this would only serve as a short-term measure that would soon fade from our collective consciousness.

Practically speaking, someone would hire him and he would no doubt add martyrdom to his list of accomplishments. The final outcome needs to be lasting--something that Imus, his followers, and other shock-jocks would remember.

I would like to see Imus attend every home game for the Rutgers women's basketball team next season. In addition, he should commit time each week on his syndicated radio show featuring the players, what life is like on the Rutgers campus, their challenges as well as their successes as student athletes.

In short, he should profile their lives on and off the court. His legion of devoted listeners should be given of heavy dose of Rutgers women's basketball next season.

Why this as opposed to firing Imus?

Among his many infractions was the dehumanization of a group of young women who just completed an improbable season that left them one victory short of a collegiate the national championship. Blinded by his own arrogance he saw these young ladies as defenseless pawns that could easily be served up on a platter of banter to his early morning listeners.

Furthermore, it requires more time to restore someone's humanity than it does to carelessly tear it down. Given that Imus has spent years destroying his own humanity at the expense of others a simple apology, a two-week suspension, or dismissal may not do the trick."

Byron Williams is an Oakland pastor and syndicated columnist.

Vincent Vega said:

Cases are different, reactions are different and these things have a very own dynamic.

Exactly, Justin, you can't judge each case by the words spoken alone, which is what you are trying to do.

Staples, Bigelow Tea Halt Advertising on Imus's Show (Update2)

By Heather Burke and Mary Jane Credeur

April 10 (Bloomberg) -- Staples Inc. and Bigelow Tea stopped advertising on radio host Don Imus's morning show to protest his racially charged remarks about the Rutgers University women's basketball team.

Staples, the world's largest office-products retailer, ran its last ad on Imus's MSNBC simulcast yesterday, spokesman Paul Capelli said. Bigelow Tea, the closely held maker of specialty teas, suspended its advertising and future sponsorship is ``in jeopardy,'' said Cindi Bigelow, co-president of the company.

``Our company does not condone or support in any way the unacceptable comments made by Imus,'' Bigelow said in an e-mailed statement. ``We are deeply saddened by Imus' remarks.''

The decision by advertisers to withdraw advertising may step up pressure on CBS Radio and MSNBC, which air the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom