Imus Calls Rutgers Women's Basketball Team "Nappy Headed Hos" - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2007, 01:41 PM   #46
She's the One

Local Time: 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
some of the satirical characters on the show may use that language, but to say imus uses those words on a common basis would be a misrepresentation. he does not.
His show, his call, his responsibility.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:50 PM   #47
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:23 PM
is south park a racist show?

Old 04-08-2007, 02:00 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

yes... i do find remarks made in a serious interview to be more offensive than those said by those involved in comedy.
I don't believe that "comedy" should provide a shield for offensive comments.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:12 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

yes... i do find remarks made in a serious interview to be more offensive than those said by those involved in comedy.
I think Michael Richards tried this argument,
but later accepted that it did not hold up.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:25 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Hehe.....it depends are you of a conservative mind and enjoy it?
Old 04-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Inner El Guapo
My point above being....

We have such a sensitive nature to certain things and such a blind eye to things standing in the same ballpark as the other.

We as a society bring about uproar to pull out apologies just for the sake of stomping out the small fire.

Who gives a flying fuck?

Don Imus talks about all kinds of issues on his show, from corruption in government to autism in children, he's also a very GREEN friendly program.

Say something flippant, well.......

Fuck this 'ready to be offended' crowd who is interested in NOTHING you have to say up until the point you say something that might be offensive .

Be offended.
Agreed.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:02 PM   #52
She's the One

Quote:
No. Neither is Dave Chapelle.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:52 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Is this guy and his show really worth defending?

Quote:
Imus' success has often been a result of his on-air barbs.

"That Imus is in trouble for being politically incorrect is certainly not new," said Tom Taylor, editor of the trade publication Inside Radio. "He's lived his life in and out of trouble. ... This is something CBS will be watching very carefully."

Recent controversies involving Imus focused on a member of his morning team, Sid Rosenberg, who was fired two years ago after a particularly vile crack about cancer-stricken singer Kylie Minogue. Before that, a racially tinged comment by Rosenberg about Venus and Serena Williams stirred another controversy.

The NABJ cited two other incidents in which Imus himself insulted two black journalists. Imus has called PBS' Gwen Ifill a "cleaning lady" and described William Rhoden of The New York Times as "a quota hire," the group said.
Quote:
Fired White Sportscaster Apologizes For Remarks About Venus And Serena Williams; Gets Rehired - Don Imus - Brief Article

A White radio sportscaster who was fired after he called tennis superstar Venus Williams an "animal" and said that she and sister Serena had a better chance of posing nude for National Geographic than Playboy, recently apologized for his remarks and was rehired.

"I want to extend my most sincere apologies to (them) and to anybody else who was offended by my remarks," New York sportscaster Sid Rosenberg said on the air.

"I am not the type of guy that says things that are laced with hatred and bias," he added. "Unfortunately, things got out of hand ... and I took a couple of days of long, hard thinking." He also reportedly sent a letter of apology to the Williams sisters.

Rosenberg, a sportscaster on radio personality Don Imus' show on WFAN-AM in New York City, was fired after he appeared on the June 5 show and said he found the Williams sisters too masculine-looking. "I can't even watch them play anymore. I find it disgusting. I find both of those, what do you want to call them--they're just too muscular. They're boys."

Rosenberg also said, "One time my friend he goes, `Listen, one of these days you're going to find Venus and Serena Williams in Playboy.' I said, `You got a better shot at National Geographic."

Imus responded during the show by calling Rosenberg "a moron" and "a degenerate."

He was fired immediately but later said his comments were not racist. "Nothing could be further from the truth," he told the New York Post. "When I see women that are muscular, classically boys, then that's how I refer to them ..." Imus later rehired Rosenberg. "It's one thing to say things like that--and occasionally stuff gets said on this program by all of us that is inappropriate--but it's quite another to feel that way," Imus explained in the New York Post.

Imus added that he is convinced that Rosenberg "wasn't expressing any deep-held racist views about Black people being an inferior species."
Old 04-08-2007, 08:00 PM   #54
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:23 PM
Quote:
some of the satirical characters on the show may use that language, but to say imus uses those words on a common basis would be a misrepresentation. he does not.
False, I've heard him use this language without any "characters".
Old 04-08-2007, 08:04 PM   #55
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:23 PM
Quote:

you understood wrong.
Quote:
i suppose many who of those who are calling imus a racist now weren't listening to the great interview he had last week with the widow of bishop g.e. patterson.
^ Was that comedy as well?
Old 04-08-2007, 08:09 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:23 AM
He might be doing both serious talking and comedy.
But the quotes posted here are no comedy. Nappy-headed hos and so on rather sounds like "Oh, look there, stupid, ugly girls trying to play a man's game. How could they?"
Old 04-08-2007, 09:36 PM   #57
Blue Crack Distributor

very simple... if you think he's a racist, a bigot... don't listen.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:37 PM   #58
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

No. Neither is Dave Chapelle.
why? it's filled with racist, sexist, bigoted speach... why is it when imus is making jokes it's racist, but when it's done with a cartoon character it's just satire? who gets to draw the line?
Old 04-08-2007, 09:50 PM   #59
Refugee

Local Time: 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Inner El Guapo
My point above being....

We have such a sensitive nature to certain things and such a blind eye to things standing in the same ballpark as the other.

We as a society bring about uproar to pull out apologies just for the sake of stomping out the small fire.

Who gives a flying fuck?

Don Imus talks about all kinds of issues on his show, from corruption in government to autism in children, he's also a very GREEN friendly program.

Say something flippant, well.......

Fuck this 'ready to be offended' crowd who is interested in NOTHING you have to say up until the point you say something that might be offensive .

Be offended.
WOW.......Congrats Inner El Gollum??!! After just reading ONE of your posts you have managed to get on my IGNORE list...that is certainly a first.........be offended
Old 04-08-2007, 10:05 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

I still don't really understand why anyone would listen to him. Certainly you can hear any of these political guests he has on about 6 separate networks per day, not to mention on shows like Stewart or Colbert, not to mention print interviews, Larry King and whoever else is out there.

It isn't as if none of them will appear elsewhere. So unless you find him independently witty or something, I just don't get why anyone would want to listen to him either.