Imus Calls Rutgers Women's Basketball Team "Nappy Headed Hos" - Page 34 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2007, 02:29 PM   #496
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:59 AM
As a comedian you have to consider your audience.
An IT geek who makes a joke about some technical stuff to a an audience overwhelmingly made up by people who are happy to know how to start their PC wouldn't get you much laughs.

And especially if you make jokes like he did, which are perceived very differently, you need to be sure that it comes across as the joke. So if some background knowledge is inevitable, but clearly not there, it's your fault as the comedian.

So, your sarcastic "each and every" doesn't work.

And the question is again, did he ask his guest seriously and expected an answer, or did he in some way indicate where he is coming from, especially since his show seems to be a mixture of comedy and serious talking?
A stand-up comedian standing on stage and doing his programme will get away with such jokes more easily, because it is clear to the audience that it was meant as a joke. So even if they don't know the background they will react differently.
When it's not that clear, you shouldn't make jokes no one gets as such.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:23 PM   #497
Forum Moderator

I don't understand why anyone who knows the movie would see that scene as a good source of humorous radio banter in the first place; I could perhaps see ascribing it to a made-up character to underline how pathetic or f*ed up they are in a way that might be bleakly funny, but it's not really a line that works as camp or straight comic irony. I don't know that any line associated in a movie with incitement to rape, torture, or maim an archetypally helpless character would be.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 05-07-2007, 08:07 PM   #498
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:59 AM
i was just watching scrubs and they had a joke about a guy who was overcome with depression and hung himself.

that alone is not funny. in the context of the show? funny... to me. if i knew someone who had hung themselves? maybe i wouldn't find it funny.

i've heard many people, myself included, make "witty" references to the guy from silence of the lambs... it puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.

if i knew someone who was a victim of a serial killer, perhaps i wouldn't find these jokes/references funny.

everything is offensive to someone. so either let's get rid of every sort of edgy comedy out there and be a society of knock knock jokes, or let's just let reasonable adults make up their own minds as to what they find funny and what they don't.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:34 PM   #499
She's the One

Local Time: 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
let's just let reasonable adults make up their own minds as to what they find funny and what they don't.
And reasonable adults didn't find Imus funny this time.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:45 AM   #500
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I have a very black humor myself.

Maybe you didn't get my point.
Scrubs is all about being funny, it's a comedy. The sequence where he made the A Clockwork Orange reference was during a rather serious sequence of his show, so it can come across wrongly very easily.

And I have yet to get some more of the context, i.e. what happened around this question?
Old 05-08-2007, 05:58 AM   #501
Forum Moderator

As this thread has reached the post count limit I'm going to close it. If someone wants to create a sequel and continue the discussion feel free.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης