Imus Calls Rutgers Women's Basketball Team "Nappy Headed Hos" - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2007, 09:50 PM   #466
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:35 AM
[Q]Well Imus has certainly cashed in on years and years of his slur filled speech.[/Q]

Yep, it certainly wasn not the quality guests and political analysis that went on that helped him "cash in" cause only biggots and hate filled people would send him $$$$.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:39 AM   #467
Blue Crack Addict

I never said people who listen to his show are bigots and wouldn't say that, but if you want to insist that's what I mean for whatever purpose go right ahead I'm talking about what various stations paid him (he wasn't paid by listeners other than more listeners= more sponsors), and they let him go on with that speech for years and years-in addition to his interviews and non-slur filled speech.

It's sort of the point of this whole incident that it took it before such an accomplished African American woman was offered an autobiography-when did Imus write his and how many books has he written? Imus was famous long before she could and would ever be famous.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:48 AM   #468
Blue Crack Distributor

not that it matters, but he's written one novel, and he and his wife have issued a few other books... cookbooks, photobooks, etc... to benefit his ranch. he's never written an autobiography.

and for the record, i never said it was a bad thing that the rutgers coach is using this incident for her own financial gain, or that the press conferences were used as recruiting tools, or any of that. they weren't asked to be dragged into this, they might as well get what they can from it.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:52 PM   #469
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:05 AM
Quote:
Prank call to Chinese eatery ignites new shock jock uproar
Last Updated: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 | 1:10 PM ET
CBC Arts

CBS Radio has suspended two New York City shock jocks after they broadcast a racially charged prank call to a Chinese restaurant.

Jeff Vandergrift and Dan Lay, hosts of WFNY-FM's The Dog House With JV and Elvis, are in hot water over a prank call that involved asking one Chinese man to "tell me about your tiny egg roll" and placing an order for "very large slimp flied lice."

CBS is still recovering from the Don Imus scandal, involving racially charged comments about the black members of a women's basketball team. New York shock jock Imus was fired over his remarks, which sparked an outcry from African Americans.

The Imus scandal sparked a renewed sensitivity over the kind of language used on radio and over the so-called humour practised by shock jocks.
http://www.cbc.ca/arts/media/story/2...ock-jocks.html
Old 04-24-2007, 05:22 PM   #470
Blue Crack Addict

(CBS) NEW YORK Three female minority police officers claim they were insulted with the same language radio host Don Imus used. But they said the abuse came from fellow officers.

The three officers said they were denigrated and insulted by two other officers in their stationhouse.

"We felt violated, hurt, humiliated," officer Tronette Jackson said.

The officers' attorney, Bonita Zelman, had a much more colorful characterization.

"The Imus virus has spread to the New York City Police Department," Zelman said.

The three women said the incident happened where Abner Louima was assaulted a number of years ago, the 70th Precinct stationhouse in Brooklyn. It was April 15, a few days after Imus was fired by MSNBC and CBS Radio for referring to the members of the Rutgers women's basketball team as "nappy headed hos" on his nationally syndicated radio show.

"Sgt. Mateo addressed roll by stating, 'stand up hos,'" Zelman said. "My clients refused to stand. At that time, Officer Montenez stated, 'Sarge, they are not just hos, but nappy-headed hos.'"

Said police officer Karen Nelson: "I was stunned and humiliated almost to the point of disbelief. It was an experience I will never forget."

Added officer Maria Gomez: "We just couldn’t believe we cold hear that at a place we work by own supervisor."

The sergeant has already been transferred and stripped of his supervisory duties.

And this isn't the only alleged case. Another officer said it happened to her in Queens three days earlier.

Detective Aretha Williams, working Queens Narcotics, said a white sergeant made a similar remark to her.

Williams said the supervisor -- now on leave -- told her not to give him "lip," or he'd call her "a nappy-headed ho."

"If it did happen, it's totally unacceptable," NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly said. "It's reprehensible. We simply will not tolerate it."

Kelly said investigations are underway in both incidents that could result in further disciplinary action.

All four women have filed complaints with the NYPD's Office of Equal Employment Opportunity.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:58 AM   #471
Blue Crack Distributor

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Former radio talk show host Don Imus has hired one of the country's top trial lawyers to sue CBS Radio following his dismissal last month for making racial and sexual on-air comments about members of the Rutgers University women's basketball team.

Attorney Martin Garbus told CNN Wednesday that he has agreed to represent Imus in a wrongful breach of contract suit against his former employer.

Garbus would not disclose when he was retained by Imus but said he plans to file an action against CBS in the near future. Calls made to Imus by CNN were not returned.

A CBS spokesman declined comment.

Imus had $40 million remaining on a multiyear contact that began in 2006 and included a clause that CBS wanted him to be "irreverent" and "controversial," according to CNN legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin, who was shown part of the contract.

"Company (CBS Radio) acknowledges that Artist's (Imus') services to be rendered hereunder are of a unique, extraordinary, irreverent, intellectual, topical, controversial and personal character and that programs of the same general type and nature containing these components are desired by Company and are consistent with Company rules and policies."

Toobin said the legal issues in the Imus case are simple: "Did Imus breach his contract by saying what he did about the Rutgers basketball team?"

CBS dismissed Imus on April 12, eight days after he called the Rutgers players "nappy-headed 'hos" on his radio show, "Imus in the Morning."

"What stands out in the contract is he is supposed to be controversial and irreverent. That's what his statement about the Rutgers basketball team was," Toobin said.

"How is CBS going to argue that what he said was so controversial and so offensive that it isn't what they asked for in the contract?"
Old 05-03-2007, 09:07 AM   #472
She's the One

Local Time: 10:35 PM
It might be interesting to see CBS squirm and claim to be shocked, shocked I tell you that Imus said something stupid and offensive, when that's exactly what they were paying him to do.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:47 PM   #473
The Fly

Local Time: 12:35 AM
Good for Imus! I hope he wins. He shouldn't have been fired.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:39 PM   #474
Blue Crack Addict

make dem hos pay
Old 05-03-2007, 01:41 PM   #475
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:35 PM
Imus really sounds contrite now.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:23 PM   #476
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Smallville
Good for Imus! I hope he wins. He shouldn't have been fired.
I agree.

It seems like there was some sort of pressure from the media where if you didn´t agree that he should have been fired then you were being racist as well or at least conding racism.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:24 PM   #477
Blue Crack Addict

Al Sharpton should have to pay 38 of the 40 million.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:41 PM   #478
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy

It seems like there was some sort of pressure from the media where if you didn´t agree that he should have been fired then you were being racist as well or at least conding racism.
Absolutely, people are foaming at the mouth in this country to call someone a racist, well as long as they are white.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:54 AM   #479
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:35 AM
Irreverant? I thought that was just conservative-speak for racist/sexist/bigoted. As in, if I say pics of Serena Williams belong in National Geographic some old tired white con would call me "irreverant" but to the rest of the world I'm a racist.

CBS are the hypocrites here...they wanted him to do exactly what he did, and then fired him for it. This could be kind of fascinating depending on how far it goes...I'm guessing not far, and they settle on some amount to make him go away.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:20 AM   #480
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by CTU2fan
Irreverant? I thought that was just conservative-speak for racist/sexist/bigoted. As in, if I say pics of Serena Williams belong in National Geographic some old tired white con would call me "irreverant" but to the rest of the world I'm a racist.
don imus is far from conservative.