Imus Calls Rutgers Women's Basketball Team "Nappy Headed Hos" - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2007, 05:37 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Inner El Guapo
He can make fun of catholics and crackers, not to mention just about everybody under the red sun, all he wants. but make a remark which is so flippant and vague to be taken as a direct racial perjorative.......

This is a pathetic discourse we have in this country.

Wake up.
This statement illustrates your ignorance about the most basic dynamics of racism in this country.

Wake up, indeed.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:39 AM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

I do find it incredibly interesting how we as human beings can be so very quick to reject the goodness in someone because of other character flaws.

I also think once we have targeted someone with a hate label, there is no coming back for them, no matter what they do in the future.

Just a thought. Not a defense of what he said.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:19 AM   #33
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:47 PM
If one is carelessly tossing around broad-stroke labels like racist or bigot...I agree, and that can actually be a way of falsely simplifying those issues by making them seem more containable than they really are.

However, I still think that to shrug it off (the opposite extreme) is to say the dignity of the people demeaned by it counts for nothing and the cheapening of it is their damn problem.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-08-2007, 07:35 AM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
However, I still think that to shrug it off (the opposite extreme) is to say the dignity of the people demeaned by it counts for nothing and the cheapening of it is their damn problem.
I did not mean to sound like I was saying we shrug it off, but Headache is correct, despite this persons flaws, he does actively do things to help make the world a better place.

I think he is guilty of making broad generalizations about groups of people. In the past I have heard him slam Catholics, yet no outrage, why? He makes fun of Evangelicals, yet no outrage, why? I am trying to think of a group of people he has not made fun of.

If we were talking about a person who was running a non satiracle show making the comments, I would take it differently. This is a guy who has made satire his shtick.

Was it a good skit? Probably not. The women's basketball team is not in politics, generally, the group I associate with the show. Should they be off limits, absolutely. And that is where I find fault. These women were being honored for their excellence. Not because of something political or a poor sense of judgement. That would be why I am most disappointed and find it inappropriate.

If it were a politician, black white, Jewish Catholic, or Evangelical Church leader who did something stupid, then, YES satire away.

And I think for me that is where he went wrong. And I believe he deserves a suspension of some sort.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:25 AM   #35
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Inner El Guapo
and such a blind eye to things standing in the same ballpark as the other.

So true, just look at your comments.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:34 AM   #36
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

I am trying to think of a group of people he has not made fun of.

Anyone he is a part of...

And that's where I find fault in Headache's statements. Is if this was pure comedy he'd include himself in his "comedy". But he doesn't he elevates himself above these things he "makes fun of".

When Ray Mencia pokes fun of the stereotypes of whites, blacks, hispanics it's comedy. When someone stereotypes others to elevate themselves they are indeed a bigot, radio show or not...
Old 04-08-2007, 10:46 AM   #37
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

I did not mean to sound like I was saying we shrug it off, but Headache is correct, despite this persons flaws, he does actively do things to help make the world a better place.

I think he is guilty of making broad generalizations about groups of people. In the past I have heard him slam Catholics, yet no outrage, why? He makes fun of Evangelicals, yet no outrage, why? I am trying to think of a group of people he has not made fun of.

If we were talking about a person who was running a non satiracle show making the comments, I would take it differently. This is a guy who has made satire his shtick.

Was it a good skit? Probably not. The women's basketball team is not in politics, generally, the group I associate with the show. Should they be off limits, absolutely. And that is where I find fault. These women were being honored for their excellence. Not because of something political or a poor sense of judgement. That would be why I am most disappointed and find it inappropriate.

If it were a politician, black white, Jewish Catholic, or Evangelical Church leader who did something stupid, then, YES satire away.

And I think for me that is where he went wrong. And I believe he deserves a suspension of some sort.
bingo

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Anyone he is a part of...
if you actually listened to a lot of his skits, the one person who imus makes the most jokes about is, in fact, imus himself.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:07 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

you can label him a racist all you want. you can completely ignore his close friendship with the late bishop g.e. patterson. you can call him an asshole. you can completely ignore that he takes thousands of children suffering from cancer, black children, white children, hispanic children... ALL children... to his ranch, on his dime, as an escape for these suffering young kids. you can call him an anti-semite because he's made jokes about jews. you can completly ignore that he's organized a telethon for sudden infant death syndrome only because someone he worked with, who happens to be jewish, had a child die from SIDS... a telethon that has raised millions of dollars towards research for SIDS.

don imus is a good man who gets paid to push the envelope and pushed it a bit too far. i in no way agree with his comments and think he was wrong to say what he said. but to fire him? no way.

it's amazing how many people are quick to jump on a guy, yet have never listened to him on a regular basis and only really know of him by hearsay. i'd like all of those who are outraged to look into their own souls and ask themselves if they've ever said and/or laughed at a joke that was derogitory towards a group of people... be they blacks, whites, polish, irish, gays, jews... whoever. if the answer is no, and it's an honest no, then you're better people than all of us. if the answer is yes, which most of the answers will be, then i think you shouldn't be so quick to judge.
And Michael Jackson did millions of great things for kids, but was destroyed in the media and by the public. If we judged people by their "overall characters", many criminals would go free. Are the anti-gay comments made by public figures that you start threads about more offensive than Imus' comments?

There's a huge difference between jokes told in private, and those broadcast over the airwaves. The airwaves belong to the people and are regulated by the FCC. So there should be a higher standard for what gets broadcast.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:24 PM   #39
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar

And Michael Jackson did millions of great things for kids, but was destroyed in the media and by the public. If we judged people by their "overall characters", many criminals would go free. Are the anti-gay comments made by public figures that you start threads about more offensive than Imus' comments?
yes... i do find remarks made in a serious interview to be more offensive than those said by those involved in comedy.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:33 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:47 PM
And you don't consider the recipient of those attacks?
As far as I understood it this is not a comedy show, is it? And comedy has its limits, and such a derogatory talk as far beyond these limits.
He seems to be a media professional who is doing radio for many years. So he should be a bit more professional when he is on air.

However, he did apologize, and there is not much more he can do.
So I would't blame him for the rest of his life. You can make stupid mistakes, and he obviously did. It's not ok, but it's also not okay to shred him to parts for this.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #41
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

if you actually listened to a lot of his skits, the one person who imus makes the most jokes about is, in fact, imus himself.
I've listened to him enough, and this may be true. When he IS making fun he may joke about himself, but when he's calling people "ragheads", "hoes", "quota hires", or "fags" he's usually excluding any group he belongs to.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:30 PM   #42
She's the One

Local Time: 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
but when he's calling people "ragheads", "hoes", "quota hires", or "fags" .
He uses this kind of language regularly? And people think he's funny? And he's a "good guy" because he's nice to little crippled children?

Some folks have different standards of good guyness than others do, I guess.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:35 PM   #43
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

He uses this kind of language regularly? And people think he's funny? And he's a "good guy" because he's nice to little crippled children?

Some folks have different standards of good guyness than others do, I guess.
Ragheads and fags, he uses quite a bit, the rest I may have heard only a few times...
Old 04-08-2007, 01:37 PM   #44
Blue Crack Distributor

some of the satirical characters on the show may use that language, but to say imus uses those words on a common basis would be a misrepresentation. he does not.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:38 PM   #45
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega
As far as I understood it this is not a comedy show, is it?
you understood wrong.