Imus Calls Rutgers Women's Basketball Team "Nappy Headed Hos" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2007, 02:34 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:30 AM
there is a very thin line between comedy and racism. one that many try to tip toe, and sometimes that causes them to step over that line. all great comedy (which i'm not saying imus is) comes dangerously close to that line... be it seinfeld, chris rock, richard pryor, etc. etc.

i suppose many who of those who are calling imus a racist now weren't listening to the great interview he had last week with the widow of bishop g.e. patterson.

perhaps mister aaaymus should have used chaaaracters.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:44 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Well in my experience as a female-whenever I might start to feel good about myself or any of my accomplishments, there's always at least one male who knows how to make me feel like crap about myself, and who will. That's not a blanket sexist statement, it's simply my life experience. There are plenty who won't-but sadly they really can't completely make up for the one who does.

But I'm not an African American female, and I don't have to be degraded in a national platform.Their looks and race have zero to do wtih their performance as athletes or their accomplishments. And they are certainly not "hos" and no one has the right to call them hos.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:57 PM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

if it were a female who called them ho's, would we be having this discussion?

a regular character on imus was john cardinal o'connor... who was portrayed as the stereotypical irish immigrant.

they use mets GM omar minya is a character, portraying him as the sterotypical hispanic.

it's the show... it's a comedy show. it tip toe's the line. it's not for everyone... some like it, some don't. a large number of the biggest political movers and shakers are regular guests on the program... black, white, hispanic, male, female alike.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:06 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:30 PM
Well, nappy-headed hos", I think that cuts every line.
It can't be considered joke really.
There are just words that are not necessary in comedy, especially when the "targets" are not media professionals or something that can cope with some more.
These are normal college girls, and there you should watch your mouth.
People in the media should sometimes think before they open their mouths, especially about the person they are aiming it.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:07 PM   #20
She's the One

Local Time: 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega
People in the media should sometimes think before they open their mouths, especially about the person they are aiming it.
Then the US media would cease to exist.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
it's the show... it's a comedy show.
Really? I don't listen to it much, but I thought Howard Stern is more of a comedy show. I guess some people consider Ann Coulter a comedian too, and brush off her comments as well, but I don't. Imus has used similar epithets as Coulter has in the past.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:21 PM   #22
Forum Moderator

video clip of the segment from MSNBC
Quote:
if it were a female who called them ho's, would we be having this discussion?

it's the show... it's a comedy show. it tip toe's the line. it's not for everyone... some like it, some don't. a large number of the biggest political movers and shakers are regular guests on the program... black, white, hispanic, male, female alike.
Can you honestly imagine a trio of female broadcasters saying that stuff? How would you feel if one of those players were your daughter, or if you were their coach?

I'm not familiar with Don Imus, so I don't have much context as to what his show is usually like. But I don't see any skillful comic wielding of hot-button stereotypes to make a point there, just three men mean-spiritedly deriding a group of ordinary college athletes who weren't up to anything more than playing in a championship game. I could see shrugging it off if they'd left it at the "rough girls, they got tattoos...whoah!" bit, but the rest of the interchange went several steps beyond an idle passing dig. "Hardcore nappy-headed hos", "jigaboos vs. wannabes"-- the intended sentiment was that 'tough'-looking black female athletes are grotesque freaks of nature and an insult to the eyes, that much was very clear. I don't see the daring risque humor in that at all, and I can't imagine he'd say that to any guest's face.

At least he did publically apologize...I can't really understand saying "Ah, that's just Imus for ya" though.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-08-2007, 12:33 AM   #23
War Child

Local Time: 08:30 AM
He can make fun of catholics and crackers, not to mention just about everybody under the red sun, all he wants. but make a remark which is so flippant and vague to be taken as a direct racial perjorative.......

This is a pathetic discourse we have in this country.

Wake up.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:43 AM   #24
War Child

Local Time: 08:30 AM
My point above being....

We have such a sensitive nature to certain things and such a blind eye to things standing in the same ballpark as the other.

We as a society bring about uproar to pull out apologies just for the sake of stomping out the small fire.

Who gives a flying fuck?

Don Imus talks about all kinds of issues on his show, from corruption in government to autism in children, he's also a very GREEN friendly program.

Say something flippant, well.......

Fuck this 'ready to be offended' crowd who is interested in NOTHING you have to say up until the point you say something that might be offensive .

Be offended.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:52 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Inner El Guapo

Fuck this 'ready to be offended' crowd who is interested in NOTHING you have to say up until the point you say something that might be offensive .
It seems as if you are more offended by the reaction to Imus' comments than his comments. Interesting.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:32 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
My point above being....

We have such a sensitive nature to certain things and such a blind eye to things standing in the same ballpark as the other.

We as a society bring about uproar to pull out apologies just for the sake of stomping out the small fire.

Who gives a flying fuck?

Don Imus talks about all kinds of issues on his show, from corruption in government to autism in children, he's also a very GREEN friendly program.

Say something flippant, well.......

Be offended.
Oh, poor Don Imus. He had to apologize for being a racist, sexist boor. My heart just bleeds for him.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:19 AM   #27
She's the One

Local Time: 06:30 AM
Quote:
Who gives a flying fuck?
Those who have been called "jigaboos" and "nappy-headed" when the race was enslaved and lynched.

Those are poisonous words. They have no place in the context in which they were used.

I'm sure others have been offended by his other remarks. Don't assume that they weren't just because you didn't hear their complaints.

And his willingness to offend others doesn't excuse his behavior, nor does his alleged "green" ness.

Your willingness to excuse racism is disturbing.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:55 AM   #28
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar

Really? I don't listen to it much, but I thought Howard Stern is more of a comedy show. I guess some people consider Ann Coulter a comedian too, and brush off her comments as well, but I don't. Imus has used similar epithets as Coulter has in the past.
don imus may have the biggest names in american politics on his show, but he is still a shock jock. it's his job to push the envelope. don imus was a hero of howard stern when stern was young.

you can label him a racist all you want. you can completely ignore his close friendship with the late bishop g.e. patterson. you can call him an asshole. you can completely ignore that he takes thousands of children suffering from cancer, black children, white children, hispanic children... ALL children... to his ranch, on his dime, as an escape for these suffering young kids. you can call him an anti-semite because he's made jokes about jews. you can completly ignore that he's organized a telethon for sudden infant death syndrome only because someone he worked with, who happens to be jewish, had a child die from SIDS... a telethon that has raised millions of dollars towards research for SIDS.

don imus is a good man who gets paid to push the envelope and pushed it a bit too far. i in no way agree with his comments and think he was wrong to say what he said. but to fire him? no way.

it's amazing how many people are quick to jump on a guy, yet have never listened to him on a regular basis and only really know of him by hearsay. i'd like all of those who are outraged to look into their own souls and ask themselves if they've ever said and/or laughed at a joke that was derogitory towards a group of people... be they blacks, whites, polish, irish, gays, jews... whoever. if the answer is no, and it's an honest no, then you're better people than all of us. if the answer is yes, which most of the answers will be, then i think you shouldn't be so quick to judge.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:10 AM   #29
Forum Moderator

I don't see where anyone in this thread said Imus should be fired or was advocating any particular action against him.

I have no idea what kind of human being he is overall, there's no way I could know something like that, and I'm not interested in passing some kind of judgment on his character--just his/Rosenberg's/McGuirk's comments last Wednesday morning. I do know what I would feel like if I were one of those basketball players, their coach, their families or friends, and that's the perspective I'm looking at it from. I doubt it would make them feel better to know he was a close friend of Bishop G.E. Patterson or that he runs a SIDS telethon or supports autism research--why should it?

I don't think he should be fired for this and I doubt he will be, but I also don't see what's so galling about finding their lack of regard for the way that comment might make the (clearly identifiable group of) young Black women athletes it caricatured feel, to be contemptible. It isn't analogous to laughing at a generalized racial joke, and while I'm not "outraged" by the incident and wouldn't waste that level on concern on a radio show, I don't see anything unreasonable at all in condemning it.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-08-2007, 05:34 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
there is a very thin line between comedy and racism. one that many try to tip toe, and sometimes that causes them to step over that line. all great comedy (which i'm not saying imus is) comes dangerously close to that line... be it seinfeld, chris rock, richard pryor, etc. etc.
Usually the best way to avoid stepping over that line is to avoid joking about minorities unless you happen to be a member of that minority group yourself.

Everyone's familiar with old unspoken rule, "I can complain about my mother all I want, but let somebody else start talking about her and we have a problem."

Same principle.