Imus Calls Rutgers Women's Basketball Team "Nappy Headed Hos" - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-11-2007, 07:22 PM   #226
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 03:59 PM
Since when does a private corporation owe to keep people on the air? They have a right to remove people from their roster, and advertisers have a right NOT to pay. You want to force them to keep supporting him financially?

You are the one who keeps bringing up freedom of speech even though you're wrong every single time, but you keep at it. His freedom of speech IS not being infringed. He is welcome to say whatever the hell he wants. He is NOT being censored from saying anything. He's just not being financially compensated for it. Which part of that is so difficult for you to understand?
__________________

__________________
anitram is online now  
Old 04-11-2007, 07:24 PM   #227
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Justin24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Mateo
Posts: 6,716
Local Time: 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Since when does a private corporation owe to keep people on the air? They have a right to remove people from their roster, and advertisers have a right NOT to pay. You want to force them to keep supporting him financially?

You are the one who keeps bringing up freedom of speech even though you're wrong every single time, but you keep at it. His freedom of speech IS not being infringed. He is welcome to say whatever the hell he wants. He is NOT being censored from saying anything. He's just not being financially compensated for it. Which part of that is so difficult for you to understand?
But I keep hearing for people to Fire him, not just advertisers what don't you get about that?
__________________

__________________
Justin24 is offline  
Old 04-11-2007, 07:26 PM   #228
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 02:59 PM
So now you're all for standing up for freedom of speech??

Are you related to John Kerry by any chance?
__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 04-11-2007, 07:27 PM   #229
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 03:59 PM
So what??

If NBC wants to fire him because of pressure or because their employees feel uncomfortable or because they can't get advertisers dollars, that is their right. What are you confused about? They are not censoring him. They do not owe him a duty to keep him on the air or keep him paid. He was released from his contract and that is their absolute right.

He can say what he wants. NBC doesn't have to keep him as an employee. You have no argument here, and frankly I realize I'm just wasting my time.
__________________
anitram is online now  
Old 04-11-2007, 07:32 PM   #230
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Justin24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Mateo
Posts: 6,716
Local Time: 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
So what??

If NBC wants to fire him because of pressure or because their employees feel uncomfortable or because they can't get advertisers dollars, that is their right. What are you confused about? They are not censoring him. They do not owe him a duty to keep him on the air or keep him paid. He was released from his contract and that is their absolute right.

He can say what he wants. NBC doesn't have to keep him as an employee. You have no argument here, and frankly I realize I'm just wasting my time.
Waisting time because you only want things in your favor and don't like to look at all angles?
__________________
Justin24 is offline  
Old 04-11-2007, 07:32 PM   #231
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24


But I keep hearing for people to Fire him, not just advertisers what don't you get about that?
That is the public outcry that may well force the hand of his employers to get rid of him is not an issue of free speech; it is about how those employers have the right to fire an employee who is a liability.

Free speech issues would be if he was going to be put on trial for hate speech in a court or if some outside authority forced the network to censor the program.

I say that as somebody who is consistently pro-free speech and thinks this makes a better example of how a free society should deal with bigotry than the inevitable defending of any number of racists or fanatics right to protest or speak.
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 04-11-2007, 07:33 PM   #232
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Justin24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Mateo
Posts: 6,716
Local Time: 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
So now you're all for standing up for freedom of speech??

Are you related to John Kerry by any chance?
No hahahah but I should be huh. LOL

http://break.com/index/duke_lacrosse..._apology3.html

Anitram where is their apology?
__________________
Justin24 is offline  
Old 04-11-2007, 07:35 PM   #233
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Justin24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Mateo
Posts: 6,716
Local Time: 01:59 PM
Please tell me why Isaiah Washington wasn't fired!!!! Is it because he is a minority? Or that he went to take therapy classes? Where was Jesse Jackson or Al Shaprton to say what a asshole Washington is? Or were they busy swindling money having sex with woman from their congregation?
__________________
Justin24 is offline  
Old 04-11-2007, 07:43 PM   #234
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 02:59 PM
Justin, you are WAY out of your depth and need to calm down and back off.

And don't ever go around calling people hypocrites for not protecting freedom of speech when you had an entire thread based on the notion of taking away the freedom of speech of someone you didn't agree with.
__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 04-11-2007, 07:44 PM   #235
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 09:59 PM
Washington wasn't fired for want of a public outcry--did you not read the thread in here about that? Furthermore, he doesn't have his own show and didn't make those remarks on GA so it's a bit different.

NO ONE in this thread advocated Imus being "fired", and Dread and Irvine were the only people I saw explicitly advocating a temporary suspension. I think you're confusing posters supporting the right of others to speak out against him publically with the reactions of advertisers and networks to that. This will all blow over in a couple weeks anyhow, so personally I'm surprised MSNBC had the reaction they did. Anyhow his show will still be on the radio so far as I can tell.

And I agree with Diemen that you're getting way too worked up about this. No one else in here on either "side" is that agitated.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 04-11-2007, 07:46 PM   #236
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Justin24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Mateo
Posts: 6,716
Local Time: 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
Justin, you are WAY out of your depth and need to calm down and back off.

And don't ever go around calling people hypocrites for not protecting freedom of speech when you had an entire thread based on the notion of taking away the freedom of speech of someone you didn't agree with.
Actually if you look at the other thread and this one they coinside. Why????

The other one is asking/demanding their sons name be removed from the memorial, but you say no because it's freedom of speech. Don Imus says some comments and people, and corporations demand he be removed thus taking his job/freedom to speak and then being feathered and tarred for his comments.
__________________
Justin24 is offline  
Old 04-11-2007, 07:48 PM   #237
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 09:59 PM
And is there a corporation in a position to remove the names from the memorial?
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 04-11-2007, 07:49 PM   #238
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Justin24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Mateo
Posts: 6,716
Local Time: 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
Washington wasn't fired for want of a public outcry--did you not read the thread in here about that? Furthermore, he doesn't have his own show and didn't make those remarks on ER so it's a bit different.

NO ONE in this thread advocated Imus being "fired", and Dread and Irvine were the only people I saw explicitly advocating a temporary suspension. I think you're confusing posters supporting the right of others to speak out against him publically with the reactions of advertisers and networks to that. This will all blow over in a couple weeks anyhow, so personally I'm surprised MSNBC had the reaction they did. Anyhow his show will still be on the radio so far as I can tell.

And I agree with Diemen that you're getting way too worked up about this. No one else in here on either "side" is that agitated.
The reason I am so aggiated is because the unfairness of the situation.

Even though it's not his show, would you want a bigot to remain on the show, that could possibly lower raitings?
And the reason there was no outcry is because what Irvine has been saying that Homosexuality is the last hold out on Hate.
__________________
Justin24 is offline  
Old 04-11-2007, 07:50 PM   #239
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Justin24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Mateo
Posts: 6,716
Local Time: 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
And is there a corporation in a position to remove the names from the memorial?
No but it's common sense.
__________________
Justin24 is offline  
Old 04-11-2007, 07:52 PM   #240
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
trevster2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,330
Local Time: 05:29 PM
There is no such thing as common sense anymore. Common sense is bad, exceptional sense is better.
__________________

__________________
trevster2k is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com