Imus Calls Rutgers Women's Basketball Team "Nappy Headed Hos" - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2007, 11:10 AM   #196
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

but we do not all agree about the severity of the harm done nor the over-the-top media circus that has followed (and which took several days to build).

i always go after the Right and their addiction to what Phillip Roth calls "the ecstacy of sanctimony." we're all prone to it.

really, what are we accomplishing by beating Imus up? what are we learning? what's the value in this other than getting to extend a finger at Imus and screaming "sexist! racist!" and then rushing over to protect a group of delicate, sensitive women who have somehow suffered grevious harm from three words?
The women themselves have said they were hurt by the comments. See anitram's post, as well as numerous news articles and the news conference transcript. BTW, at the news conference the coach did most of the speaking and only two players made statements. The other players merely stated their name, class, and hometowns.

Is silence the answer to Imus' comments? Perhaps it is for some, but people have the freedom to express their opinions on the matter, just as Imus did. Perhaps what can be accomplished is a dialogue and the creation of a deterrent to prevent similar incidents in the future.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:12 AM   #197
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
Here is an observation I have noticed. Anyone of any color(except white) can say anything about pretty much anyone and you will hardly hear the word bigot, racist, anti-semite. A caucasian says it and boom, The NAACP, La Raza, and more will come at you. So why no equality. You all keep saying how racist words should be long forgotten but you laugh when it's being used on stage, so I guess that means those words are acceptable because their being used in a funny way???
I'm not sure how anyone on here can make it any clearer to you, we've tried.

Show me a comparable example. Please!!! You are comparing apples to oranges!

And the humor aspect we've driven into the ground, and you've even stated in other threads where you understood the difference. So you've either forgotten since the last time we had this discussion or you're just trying to make an argument again...

Old 04-11-2007, 11:23 AM   #198
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Show me a comparable example. Please!!! You are comparing apples to oranges!

For Fucks sake. I showed you a video of a person as bad or worse as Imus and it gets shot down, why because he does not have celebrity status. Thats what I am getting here from all of this.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #199
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24

For Fucks sake. I showed you a video of a person as bad or worse as Imus and it gets shot down, why because he does not have celebrity status. Thats what I am getting here from all of this.
No, it's because he doesn't have credibility!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2007, 11:28 AM   #200
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar
The women themselves have said they were hurt by the comments. See anitram's post, as well as numerous news articles and the news conference transcript. BTW, at the news conference the coach did most of the speaking and only two players made statements. The other players merely stated their name, class, and hometowns.

what else are they going to say once this has become big news and there's a media circus, should they in fact choose to say anything?

Quote:
Is silence the answer to Imus' comments? Perhaps it is for some, but people have the freedom to express their opinions on the matter, just as Imus did. Perhaps what can be accomplished is a dialogue and the creation of a deterrent to prevent similar incidents in the future.
no one is saying that they had no right to have a conference, and Imus has every right under the sun to say whatever he wants. they will both suffer consequences, and ultimately whether or not Imus stays at MSNBC will be a purely business decision. and, again, Imus is the one who has the explaining to do, not the women, who, in my opinion, have merely validated his comments with the "but i'm not a ho" conference.

we're acting as if a crime was committed here. it wasn't. i'm happy people spoke up and said that the comments were racist and offensive. they were. but let's not treat this like Imus smacked one of the players across the face or robbed them at gunpoint. this is also not an example of someone with actual power -- a Senator, a university administrator -- using derogatory words. and it's quite different from the Macaca comment of a certain former Sen. Allen. when people who actually shape laws and are in positions of real power use racist language, then it becomes a much bigger deal. Imus represents no one but himself, and he makes no laws. we're steering dangerously into thought police territory.

again, as Headache has pointed out, this was in a comedic section of a complex radio program. to me, a fair analogy would be when Mike Meyers made fun of Chelsea Clinton on SNL. it was a bad joke in very poor taste, and she was a minor, and he apologized for it the next week on SNL and that was that.

let's move on and talk about Iran and Gonzales, you know, stuff that matters.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:31 AM   #201
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

http://thatvideosite.com/video/4208 --the Phelps who were they, No one until the media decided to do a story on them. So lets gang up on them for calling people who support gay people "Fags"

But a man who wants to exterminate an entire race like Hitler started to do, ehh he is no one so just leave him be.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:35 AM   #202
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I give up Justin, you don't get it. You're bitching about a tree falling in a forest when no one is around.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:37 AM   #203
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
I give up Justin, you don't get it. You're bitching about a tree falling in a forest when no one is around.
You give up because you don't understand the unfairness that is going on.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:04 PM   #204
Blue Crack Addict

Did anybody watch nightly news last night? Apparently the basketball team is going to have a private meeting with Imus. No details about when/where.

I think this is the most brilliant response to such an episode. Obviously, the guy has done his share of apologizing since the incident. So, I honestly don't think they are expecting him to apologize anymore. Instead, it is a very commendable gesture. I'm tired of the media exploding on this. Both parties have had their weekends ruined due to the media onslaught (esp if any of them celebrated holidays). Now they can finally meet one another and create a positive connection.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:34 PM   #205
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:45 AM

Some debate is fine, but there seems to be kind of a nasty tone here, let's keep it nice.

Since you both say you've given up though, there should be no problem.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 04-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #206
Refugee

Local Time: 01:45 AM
i really don't condone what Imus said on air...but it does point out a cruel double standard

Imus can go out and make a passing (but ultimately cruel) remark about a womens basketball team and get suspended for 2 weeks

Rosie O'Donnell can go out and spread conspiracy theories, swear that the government killed its own people, accuse British sailors of basically kidnapping themselves, and still stay on the air week after week

hmmm
Old 04-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #207
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by europop2005
i really don't condone what Imus said on air...but it does point out a cruel double standard

Imus can go out and make a passing (but ultimately cruel) remark about a womens basketball team and get suspended for 2 weeks

Rosie O'Donnell can go out and spread conspiracy theories, swear that the government killed its own people, accuse British sailors of basically kidnapping themselves, and still stay on the air week after week

hmmm

where's the double-standard?

no one gets fired because they said something. people get fired because of the reaction of what they say and the pressure there might be on certain sponsors to withdraw advertising from whatever program.

remember a week or two after 9-11 when Bill Maher said that terrorists were not "cowards" -- he lost his show because of sponsors pulling the plug on their advertising dollars. whether or not Imus stays or goes will depend upon similar economic evidence. and the same would apply to Rosie.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:44 PM   #208
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by europop2005
Bill Maher got pulled from the network TV air for remarks about 9/11.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:08 PM   #209
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:45 PM
I wonder what Howard Stern's take on all this is?

oh, here it is \/

"He does nothing. He mumbles, he can't speak English, he can't be understood. He was never funny. You listen to the show, I defy you to laugh."

"He's completely insane."

"Go away. Really. It's time."

"There's probably a 70 percent chance [CBS Radio and MSNBC are] going to have to fire this guy.... He's in for a sh*tstorm because the girl's basketball team is going to have a press conference, and that's going to look real bad."

"I guarantee you the wife leaves him. If he loses his job, she leaves him within a year. [And if that happens,] I will leave Beth (Stern's fiancee) to f**k her."

"If it was me and I did something stupid like that I would just go on and say, 'I'm not going on Al Sharpton's show. Al Sharpton is a piece of s**t. He's just a human being that is bankrupt, and he should pay his bills.... I would rather just leave the radio than apologize to that man.... I like Al Sharpton, by the way."

"I mean, come on, Al Sharpton. Imus, get some f***ing dignity." [Burps.]

"I've never seen a 67-year-old guy look that bad."

"Imus is a moron."
Old 04-11-2007, 03:59 PM   #210
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Those who have been called "jigaboos" and "nappy-headed" when the race was enslaved and lynched.

Those are poisonous words. They have no place in the context in which they were used.
I'm with martha & deep on this one.

I work in an office run by women. We're a very professional bunch. We are also not bad looking. A few years ago word got back to us that one of our grantees had referred to us as "those sex kittens." He was--you guessed it--a white man in his 60s. It was such a bizarre and left-field comment as we'd done nothing but help this individual and his business. He literally would have gone under without our aid. We'd done nothing to offend him that we were aware of yet he was spreading this vile image of us. It wasn't hate speech, it wasn't against the law, it was just false and reflected much more on him than us.

He no longer receives our funding and his business is failing.