Imus Calls Rutgers Women's Basketball Team "Nappy Headed Hos"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
joyfulgirl said:
deep, what would you like to see happen with Imus?

It is not for me to say

I can only respond to what others say is right
when I believe that is is wrong.

I think the comedy show / news interviewer defense is very poor

I think he has been given too much latitude for a long time because he makes a lot of money for his networks

and sadly there is an audience for racists, sexists, homophobic remarks

I think he has exploited his relationships with politicians and doing some charity, his wife's environmentalism to get all his bigoted skits and and remarks overlooked

I am at a loss for the amount of sympathy and support he has received

it kind of reminds of when Cheney got drunk and shot that guy in the face

he went TV awhile later,
after he sobered up, in a controlled interview
and appeal to viewers to feel bad for him because this has been so hard on him

What has really happened to Imus
he has become extremely rich
doing some good things
while all along throwing things like this out there

there is a better argument for Mel Gibson, he had one major fuck up

Imus is a repeat offender, he was sober as a church mouse and very aware he was on national TV

it was not an "open mike" slip up

What should happen?

white males should stop empathising with bigoted behavior

if this is a dividing place
there really is only one side of the line common human decency would choose

do I sympathise with Imus?

absolutely, I find it painful to watch this slow death by a thousand razor cuts

this is not like the O'Rielly / Rivera shout down where each side agitated the other and could fend for themselves

Imus is 100% responsible for the unfortunate situation he is in.

Anyone that throws any resentment at the girls, in my opinion has some issues.

EDIT to ADD

cbs just fired him

he will land someplace else

i could post a list
of quite a few that this has happened to

and many did much less than Imus

Last edited:
I'm not sure where he will land, given the consolidation in the media industry. There are only a handful of media companies, and he is too risky to hire right now.

Maybe Sirius with Stern.

Last edited:
Firing Imus will simply mean that some other chain of radio stations will pick him up for his demonstrated drawing power. If that doesn’t happen, he can always go to satellite radio, as did Howard Stern, and where FCC regulations and other rules of civility and good taste do not exist. Curiously, Imus has profusely thanked and praised two other exiles to satellite radio, Ope and Anthony. It was these two shock jocks, it will be remembered, who staged a contest to see who could have sex in the most unlikely locale. The winners were a couple who allegedly did the big nasty in St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York City. So if Imus considers Opie and Anthony supporters and compatriots, perhaps he really doesn’t get it.

Imus indicated this morning he would be gone....and here we are end of the day....and he was correct.

Imus doesn't get it? nah...he gets it.

Do we get it? I am so confused about how I feel on this issue. I guess I truly belive the firing was too much.

It's about money for CBS-loss of advertising revenue. It has nothing to do with their feelings about his statements, if they care so much about that where were they during all of his other comments? Of course now the media attention to this incident is more intense, and that created more pressure on CBS to do something.

He'll probably go to satellite radio and make even more money.

deep said:

It is not for me to say

I think he has been given too much latitude for a long time because he makes a lot of money for his networks

I think he has exploited his relationships with politicians and doing some charity, his wife's environmentalism to get all his bigoted skits and and remarks overlooked

he went TV awhile later,

doing some good things

Imus is a repeat offender, he was sober as a church mouse and very aware he was on national TV

What should happen?

this is not like the O'Rielly / Rivera shout down where each side agitated the other and could fend for themselves

EDIT to ADD

cbs just fired him

i could post a list

:up:

As I said earlier, I was ready to move on after his apology. But I don't listen to his show, don't know his history really except for what I've read surrounding this issue, so you've given me a better perspective.

He apologized and yet the Stripper did not after ruining 3 peoples lives and I still have not hear Jackson and Sharpton apologize to those men.

Fucking pieces of shit. MLK would be ashamed of Jackson and Sharpton and Jesus would no doubtly show show what forgivness is to those fuck tards jackson and sharpton.

Dreadsox said:
Imus indicated this morning he would be gone....and here we are end of the day....and he was correct.

Imus doesn't get it? nah...he gets it.

Do we get it? I am so confused about how I feel on this issue. I guess I truly belive the firing was too much.

Based on his remarks he gets it

and he does not.

Is this too much?

Many will feel this way.

Do you think he would have stayed and cleaned house?
And stopped doing all that questionable material?

Nothing really that bad happened to him.

He will just end up doing something somewhere else.

Justin24 said:
He apologized and yet the Stripper did not after ruining 3 peoples lives and I still have not hear Jackson and Sharpton apologize to those men.

Fucking pieces of shit. MLK would be ashamed of Jackson and Sharpton and Jesus would no doubtly show show what forgivness is to those fuck tards jackson and sharpton.

That story has NOTHING to do with this one, it's a completely different scenario. One of which we don't know the whole truth, so I would hold my judgements if I were you.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

That story has NOTHING to do with this one, it's a completely different scenario. One of which we don't know the whole truth, so I would hold my judgements if I were you.

Really why should I hold my judgments when many accussed them of actually raping her and seeing people trounce on them with out actual proof.

Imus is gone from Radio and there is nothing we can do about it. Sharpton's "Revenge" won over, another proud day for a man who insinuates riots.

deep said:

you don't see the difference between the context of Snoop, Eminem using the word ho (which I personally, do not like)

I don't give hateful speech a free pass based on race/gender/rapper status. :|

and if you, your mother, sister were on TV receiving an Award and a nationally televised person called (any of) you a SAGGY ASS WHORE

people on television for high achievement should not be belittled and ridiculed, even in a quasi comic/ news program

What would have happened if this was a bit in the SNL fake news cast?

If they put the women's Basketball team up and called "nappy headed hos"

Even if a black comic did this,
there would be an up-roar

Sinead paid a heavy price for just tearing a picture in two pieces,
Many think she was right

I would not want to be called a "SAGGY ASS WHORE" just because I did something good.:huh:

Besides I never leave the house without titanium reinforced panti-hose on.

It would be a shame if someone called me a saggy assed whore but really, I wouldn't expect that person to lose their job. :shrug:

deep said:

It is not for me to say

he went TV awhile later,

doing some good things

What should happen?

EDIT to ADD

cbs just fired him

i could post a list

Deep, you know i'm mildly fascinated by you, and no one makes me laugh out loud harder, but i think we'll have to agree to disagree here on the big issues (though we agree on the small ones -- it was a terrible thing to say). understanding is different from empathizing, and criticism of the press conference does not mean one has an issue with the girls themselves, merely the way the situation has been handled. and i don't think any of that deserves to be twisted into some sort of "support" for Imus, or more accurately, more "support" for Imus's remarks. the remarks are indefensible. the man, a bit more so. and i think there's a whole lot more going on here than a racist old white man.

as for Gibson, specifically, he's given us 2.5 hours of the most violent anti-Semitism yet put to film.

Justin24 said:

Really why should I hold my judgments when many accussed them of actually raping her and seeing people trounce on them with out actual proof.

Imus is gone from Radio and there is nothing we can do about it. Sharpton's "Revenge" won over, another proud day for a man who insinuates riots.

I agree people jumped on the guilty bandwagon far too soon, but we don't know the whole story, don't act like you do. You don't know if the woman was raped or not.

And quit blaming Sharpton for Imus' firing, did you even read what Sharpton said about him? Once again your hatred for this man is blurring your judgment.

Justin24 said:

I don't think Imus is gone from radio because of Al Sharpton. Yes he was one part of the media frenzy, but the bottom line reason he's gone is $.

He and Stern can be brothers-in-arms on satellite now, maybe Howard will even end up giving him Beth's ring.

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:

I agree people jumped on the guilty bandwagon far too soon, but we don't know the whole story, don't act like you do. You don't know if the woman was raped or not.

And quit blaming Sharpton for Imus' firing, did you even read what Sharpton said about him? Once again your hatred for this man is blurring your judgment.

Um Sharpton was quoted as saying he should loose his job (aka fired)

What I wouldn't give to have MLK back and get rid of these other two bozo's.

BVS. We both believe in God correct. Sharpton is a man of God. He is a Rev. So don't you think he should have preached forgivness instead of hate, which he did. His actions were as bad as Imuses comment.

deep said:
Headache the impression you are leaving

is that (to you) it is no big deal to call young black women whores

deep

you're full of it

in no way did i ever say it is no big deal to call young black women whores (to me)

you're picking what you want and running with it

taking the fact that i disagree with you

that i don't feel don imus is a racist

and that his show is not racist

and that it's no different than dave chapelle

or jerry seinfeld

ludacris recorded a song called "ho"

in which he disparaged young black women

calling them whores, as you can read in those lyrics

i'm merely pointing out the hypocrisy that lives in all of us

the same hypocrisy in which a company will cave in to the pressure brought on by a man who's actions helped lead to a riot in crown heights that resulted in the death of a jewish student

killed by an angry mob yelling "kill the jew"

another man who once refered to new york as "hymietown"

talking heads put these guys on to tell all of us how racist don imus and his fans are

anti-semites calling others racist

good times, good times

cspan has 6 white guys debating imus' firing

two of them say they should get bill cosby to replace imus

cuddly, non offensive, jell-o pudding eatin' bill cosby

he speaks so well, he doesn't use bad words

now they asked about "that rap music"

asking the black guy first

these fuckers are the real racists

MrsSpringsteen said:

I don't think Imus is gone from radio because of Al Sharpton. Yes he was one part of the media frenzy, but the bottom line reason he's gone is $.

He and Stern can be brothers-on-arms on satellite now, maybe Howard will even end up giving him Beth's ring.

If the media and sharpton did not make this into a media circus and had allowed his original apology to happen the stations would not have lost money.

MrsSpringsteen said:

I agree about the $$. But I wonder how many advertisers would have quietly come back in a few months. . .

I wonder if the crowd clamoring for Imus' firing cared that their actions could have a negative impact on the WFAN telethon going on for SIDS research and the Imus ranch? It was great timing on NBC's part firing him 12 hours before the telethon would have been broadcast around the country. I'm not saying that the firing was right or wrong, but NBC proved to be pretty heartless in their actions.

Justin24 said:

Hey Justin
I liked what you posted about SittingBull.
it kind of made me think what was wrong with people back then that they would call a human being "greasy savage" and other terrible things

perhaps, it could be the same thing that makes a person call people "nappy headed hos" or even "rapists" when they are not?

But a wrong inditment of the Duke students does not have anything to do with what Imus said or if I say some lies about, well nevermind:wink:

Justin24 said:

Um Sharpton was quoted as saying he should loose his job (aka fired)

What I wouldn't give to have MLK back and get rid of these other two bozo's.

BVS. We both believe in God correct. Sharpton is a man of God. He is a Rev. So don't you think he should have preached forgivness instead of hate, which he did. His actions were as bad as Imuses comment.

Sharpton said, "You are not a racist you are a good person that made a racist remark"

^Reading does a mind good.

Justin24 said:

If the media and sharpton did not make this into a media circus and had allowed his original apology to happen the stations would not have lost money.

Well yes it's the media and Al Sharpton-but as far as I know he still doesn't have complete control over the media, in spite of all the power you seem to give him. The media loves this story just like they love the Anna Nicole story-it's something "juicy" and decadent for them to sink their teeth into because it gets ratings. Talking about Iraq doesn't. So it's about money in that way too. And I agree, the advertisers would have probably quietly come back after it blew over.

But ultimately the media didn't say nappy headed hos and all his other comments-Imus did. I don't think firing him does one ounce of anything really worthwhile other than to relieve CBS's guilt over allowing him to get away with so many comments in the past. I suppose perhaps the firing might have a chilling effect on any similar people who might be afraid of losing their jobs.

Justin, Sharpton is not on the same level of the entire media, you give him way too much credit. He didn't even comment on this until it was already a big issue.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

deep

you're full of it

in no way did i ever say it is no big deal to call young black women whores (to me)

you're picking what you want and running with it

taking the fact that i disagree with you

that i don't feel don imus is a racist

and that his show is not racist

and that it's no different than dave chapelle

or jerry seinfeld

ludacris recorded a song called "ho"

in which he disparaged young black women

calling them whores, as you can read in those lyrics

i'm merely pointing out the hypocrisy that lives in all of us

the same hypocrisy in which a company will cave in to the pressure brought on by a man who's actions helped lead to a riot in crown heights that resulted in the death of a jewish student

killed by an angry mob yelling "kill the jew"

another man who once refered to new york as "hymietown"

talking heads put these guys on to tell all of us how racist don imus and his fans are

anti-semites calling others racist

good times, good times

cspan has 6 white guys debating imus' firing

two of them say they should get bill cosby to replace imus

cuddly, non offensive, jell-o pudding eatin' bill cosby

he speaks so well, he doesn't use bad words

now they asked about "that rap music"

asking the black guy first

these fuckers are the real racists

you got some good points there

I have posted that I do not think Imus is a racist

he made a "racist remark"

and has does "racist, bigoted material" of his show.

I have stated I don't think Gibson is an anti-Semite, I reserve those labels for people the take it up as their agenda,

I think we are all capable of bigoted remarks

I am glad I gave you an opportunity to get on the record that you do not believe it is no big deal to call young black women whores.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

And so did his employer and sponsors, do they deserve to be called "fuck tards" as well?:|

I don't think the sponsors or employer would have really cared until the shitstorm arrived. They only ousted him because it would have been a bad image for them. But like all stories this would have gone away in a few days and life would have gone back to what we call normal.

Justin24 said:

I don't think the sponsors or employer would have really cared until the shitstorm arrived. They only ousted him because it would have been a bad image for them. But like all stories this would have gone away in a few days and life would have gone back to what we call normal.

Well you are free to think that, but honestly it has nothing to do with Sharpton and your hated is just making you look silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom