Imus Calls Rutgers Women's Basketball Team "Nappy Headed Hos" - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2007, 06:03 PM   #151
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:49 PM
Re: why so much empathy for the homophobe?

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

do you think if he only said "these girls are ruff, they are thugs"

we would even be talking about this?

no. and that's where Imus fucked up.

in trying to be funny, he instead called upon racist stereotypes. why? is he a racist? who knows.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:07 PM   #152
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
The Rutgers team just wants to be human beings Justin, and be recognized for their achivements in the same way that everyone is. And having Imus call them nappy headed hos the day after they reached the pinnacle, well that was a slap in the face and a hard thing to take. That has nothing to do with Sharpton or Jesse Jackson or tit for tat or hypocrisy. It is about them.

but this isn't about Imus belitting the women's basketball team.

it's about Imus making a racist remark about the women's basektball team.

his comments never betlittled them to anyone in anyone's mind. no one for a second believed they were "nappy-headed hos." the issue here is what Imus invoked in order to be funny, what is not at issue is the achievements of these women. the issue is racial stereotypes, not women's sports.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:19 PM   #153
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:49 AM
Quote:
Sharpton said, "You are not a racist you are a good person that made a racist remark"
I hope someday homophobic remarks / behavior will be treated the same way as racists remarks.

We have clear examples of racists and anti-Semites - Klansmen and (Neo) Nazis

people like Imus and Mel Gibson are just people that have made bigoted remarks,
they do not have a history of advocating racists views or anti-Semite beliefs.

I just think it might not be a bad thing if Imus ends up with a different kind of program
and sends his sidekicks down the road to fend for themselves.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:24 PM   #154
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

I think perhaps what you mean, and what I agree with, is that in doing that press conference they are no longer just the "victims" of Imus and the "nappy headed hos" (not that they are obviously, but in light of these comments they are being called that). They are individuals, they have names and faces and personalities, they are a team. They are not famous enough that most people know them by name and face, let alone about their athletic and academic achievements. Reading about them isn't the same-so the press conference was about that, not about answering for or to anything.
And another, more practical reason for doing the press conference could have been to get the media stalkers off their backs.

From the Rutgers website, regarding the players:
"We would ask the media to stop trying to call or text message them and remind them that we have departmental policies about contacting student-athletes and the media understands any requests for contact must come through the Athletic Communications Office. Nothing should tarnish the magnitude of the team's accomplishments this year.
"
Old 04-10-2007, 06:33 PM   #155
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

People should watch the sharptom imus interview

When Imus said "I am not a Racist, I am a good person"

Sharpton said, "You are not a racist you are a good person that made a racist remark"
I totally 100% felt that Sharpton handled the situation on his radio show perfectly.

I also felt that other when Imus went after the other news reporter, he did a great job.

I was impressed with the two of them, and it gives me hope that some good can come of this.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:49 PM   #156
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
All People are fucking Hypocrites. Example. http://break.com/index/double_standard.html

Where was Al and Jesse to Condem this. Or will I hear, the usual "Oh well it's different if it is political or said by some one that is not white. This is why I hate the Word "Race" it's a word more racist that nappy, jiggabo, cracker, spick and so on. Why can't we just be human beings.
Are you going to post this video everytime a thread on race comes up?

Come on Justin, you can't possibly think this is the same thing. One is a popular DJ with a huge following who makes his living on his views, some of which are often sexist, racist, and homophobic. The other is an extremist with a following of about 5.

And you can't possibly think the word 'race' is more racist than 'spick' or 'jigaboo'.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:59 PM   #157
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Are you going to post this video everytime a thread on race comes up?

Come on Justin, you can't possibly think this is the same thing. One is a popular DJ with a huge following who makes his living on his views, some of which are often sexist, racist, and homophobic. The other is an extremist with a following of about 5.

And you can't possibly think the word 'race' is more racist than 'spick' or 'jigaboo'.
Well it does not matter. Imus is just like all of us. The only difference is the amount of money he makes.

How can you say that it's nothing compared to what Imus said. Both men are equal scum bags. I hear plenty of Hip-Hop stations joke around about Woman, gays, etc... but no one really cares.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #158
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

do you really think these women were paralyzed with hurt? do you really think they cried themselves to sleep at night?
Well one of them said, and I quote:

"This has scarred me for life....I've experienced racism before....it's something I will remember and tell my granddaughter about someday."

So I'm not sure anyone on this thread is the best gauge of how they felt. They have a right to be offended if they were offended. I don't know that the press conference was necessary (I think it probably wasn't), but at the same time, this is not what is at the root of the issue. It's not the press conference or its necessity, it's not Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson either.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:08 PM   #159
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Imus is just like all of us.
In what way?

Quote:

How can you say that it's nothing compared to what Imus said. Both men are equal scum bags. I hear plenty of Hip-Hop stations joke around about Woman, gays, etc... but no one really cares.
When those hip hop stations have the same size audience as Imus, believe me people will say something.

Oh, and to say "all people are hypocrites" is just as bad as a generalization as anything.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:08 PM   #160
Blue Crack Addict

keep this in mind about the press conference

they have been at the center of a media circus

there is something to be said for asserting yourself, taking control of a situation

instead of being the victim and having to react to it.

I think this one press conference will give them back a lot of control over their lives
that was taken from them
Old 04-10-2007, 07:12 PM   #161
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

In what way?

When those hip hop stations have the same size audience as Imus, believe me people will say something.

Oh, and to say "all people are hypocrites" is just as bad as a generalization as anything.
In what way?? Do celebrities breath different air than us. Do they eat, sleep, drink, smoke, have sex, etc.... All that is different is the amount of money I have compared to the amount he has. So any one is ceceptable to racial slurs. And we all make the same mistakes.

On your hip hop raido comment. Does that mean they are just as racist as Imus and are the people who listen, call in and laugh and agree as guilty as imus?
Old 04-10-2007, 07:17 PM   #162
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

In what way?? Do celebrities breath different air than us. Do they eat, sleep, drink, smoke, have sex, etc.... All that is different is the amount of money I have compared to the amount he has. So any one is ceceptable to racial slurs. And we all make the same mistakes.

On your hip hop raido comment. Does that mean they are just as racist as Imus and are the people who listen, call in and laugh and agree as guilty as imus?
You're not understanding what I'm saying. Yes a racist comment is a racist comment, a sexist comment is a sexist comment...

But the impact is different. If you're a national DJ or celebrity it's going to get heard by many more than if you said something.

So Al Sharpton isn't going to go after you, that's just a given.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:22 PM   #163
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

You're not understanding what I'm saying. Yes a racist comment is a racist comment, a sexist comment is a sexist comment...

But the impact is different. If you're a national DJ or celebrity it's going to get heard by many more than if you said something.

So Al Sharpton isn't going to go after you, that's just a given.
No I do understand what you are saying. But let's just say I decided to say all black people are nappy headed jiggaboo when a reporter comes up to me and asks for my opinion. I can guarantee you Sharpton would be at my door step in a second.

The speaker in that Cspan Video was televised nationally, yet there was no outcry?
Old 04-10-2007, 07:27 PM   #164
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
But let's just say I decided to say all black people are nappy headed jiggaboo when a reporter comes up to me and asks for my opinion. I can guarantee you Sharpton would be at my door step in a second.
there you go

you made a flawless argument

we all just better give up, right now
Old 04-10-2007, 07:28 PM   #165
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

But let's just say I decided to say all black people are nappy headed jiggaboo when a reporter comes up to me and asks for my opinion. I can guarantee you Sharpton would be at my door step in a second.

No, he wouldn't bother. You would just be written off as another ignorant racist redneck.

Just like that guy was written off as another extremist.