Important Senate Vote TODAY for the Environment!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
PLEASE take the time today to let the Senate know how you feel about this issue:

21 June 2005

I have worked for Greenpeace for 14 years, and I've fought against many efforts to exploit the environment during that time. But today, I'm outraged by a proposal in Congress to allow seismic testing along our entire coastline to explore for oil and gas. Seismic blasts have a decibel level of 260 - that's more than twice as loud as an ambulance siren! Whales, dolphins and other marine mammals rely on their sense of hearing to navigate, to locate food and to communicate with each other. Exposure to this level of sound can cause deafening disorientation and can lead to permanent damage, brain hemorrhaging and even cause entire pods of whales and dolphins to beach.

The Senate will vote on this dangerous clause TODAY, so your help is urgently needed.

TAKE ACTION! Protect our Marine Mammals.

I'm asking you to help me win this fight to protect our marine mammals and our sensitive coastlines. It's urgent that your senators get an earful from you about the dangers of seismic testing for whales and dolphins.

Thank you,

Lisa Finaldi
Campaigns Director

P.S. This issue is serious, and we need all the support we can get. Once you've taken action, please, send this alert to your friends and family too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Listen Up! Reject Seismic Testing

For 26 years, there have been bans on offshore oil and gas drilling, and for good reason. Seismic blasts have a decibel level of 260 - that's more than twice as loud as an ambulance siren! Whales, dolphins and other marine mammals rely on their sense of hearing to navigate, to locate food and to communicate with each other. Exposure to this level of sound can cause deafening disorientation and can lead to permanent damage, brain hemorrhaging and even cause entire pods of whales and dolphins to beach.

Right now, the Senate Energy Bill includes a seismic survey of the entire coastline of the continental United States and Alaska. According to our research, that would mean at least 285 million seismic blasts, or the equivalent of 2.6 billion tons of TNT.

TAKE ACTION >> Give your senators an earful about the impacts of seismic testing.
This action is limited to residents of United States

PLEASE go to http://www.greenpeace.org to GET INVOLVED and support this petition!

Thanks.

Hm....I can't support Greenpeace b/c of their stance on GMOs (especially ones that can help combat poverty and famine in Africa), but I didn't know about the whale/dolphin thing before. Are there any scientific articles about this?

and when are are no more marine mammals to swim the seas, we'll remember your position, A_Wanderer.

unfortunately it will be too late.:ohmy:

In the time and energy it would take to explore and drill that oil, we could build a bunch of nuclear plants and generate hydrogen fuel.

Melon

Jamila said:
and when are are no more marine mammals to swim the seas, we'll remember your position, A_Wanderer.

unfortunately it will be too late.:ohmy:
No; as long as we allow whaling to take place for "scientific purposes" it will be getting too late; geological surveys are expensive and have rigourous environmental impact oversight, preventing exploration.

Whales have been beaching themselves long before mankind began geological surveys, using sonar or screw propellors

...but NOT on the levels that they have been in the last 30-40 years.

If one does a search on this issue even on a mainstream site such as http://www.discovery.com or http://www.animalplanet.com one can find many articles about this subject by scientific organizations.

Very sad that we turn our faces away from a situation like this because dollar signs blind our eyes.

No nuclear plants until nuclear fusion becomes a viable option and get the world off of oil dependence of any sort. How great would it be to see Exxon similar companies go the way of the dinosaurs.

Back
Top Bottom