I'm sorry, but I don't find Michael Moore, or his fans, remotely credible. - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2004, 02:23 AM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:56 PM
I don't think you guys understand what I'm saying. I don't dislike Moore just because he's an extreme liberal, I just feel like his entire message is based on deception. Like I said before, I know of alot of respectable liberals. For me it's not a matter of liberals and conservatives, more of liars and people who aren't proven to lie.

I used to listen to people like Rush alot more. While I do agree with him alot (or I did... I haven't heard him lately), his attitude kind of annoys me. He's just such a loud mouth. His personal life doesn't make me respect him morally either. I'm not too sure if he's truthful because I haven't listened to him much lately.

Lately I've really liked Bill O'Reilly. You guys probably hate him. The reason I like him is because he doesn't pull stuff out of his arse. If he tells you something you can be sure it was researched and that he looked over ot closely. The fact that what he researches usually ends up leaning more to the right says something to me as well heh heh. I just like people who don't care about right or left, that just care about the truth, even if it sucks.

People that lean too far either way are hard for me too trust. People like Sean Hannity can get on my nerves. He's so inolerant of ANY liberal views it annoys me. Sometimes I'll find myself rooting for Colmes (plus he just seems like a nicer guy).

Moore is just too extreme for me. I would respect him much more if he presented his views in a more... dignified manner. While watching Bowling for Columbine (I haven't see F 9/11 yet) I felt like he was playing with people's emotions so much. I felt like he was trying to make the white, upper classman look evil. the cartoon about black slaves was just ridiculous. He made all whites look like gun crazed jerks, he totally failed to mention ANYTHING aout the whites who fought to free slaves (yes, thousands died for that cause) and he failed to mention that black Africans sold slaves to us. He makes the entire NRA look like gun crazed psychos, which is false. It's proven a miniscule number of NRA memers have ever commited a gun-related crime. He just leaves so many bases (conveniently) uncovered. Same with F 9/11, I've read alot about the film and all of its lies. I've noticed one of Moore's tactics is to tell the half truth. He'll show actual events but he'll show them out of order, giving people the wrong impression, like showing Heston saying the "out of my cold dead hands" line right after the sequence on Columbine, giving the viewers a slightly skewed perspective. He uses half-truths to decieve people.

I'm not saying People like O'Reilly are always a hundred percent truthful, and sometimes I don't like his attitude, but that doesn't really bother me much. I don't watch him for his attitude, I watch him for the facts. I get so tired of people complaining about his attitude and totally evading the issue of if his information is trustworthy. Watch him for his views, not his attitude!!! Plus I've never heard anyone prove him to be a liar, so why should I disrespect him?

Old 08-14-2004, 02:29 AM   #77
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:56 AM
I dont believe people have an issue with you not liking Moore.

Its more (sic) the statement 'I'm sorry, but I don't find Michael Moore, or his fans, remotely credible." and the bit about his followers being ignorant is the issue.

Old 08-14-2004, 02:31 AM   #78
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:56 PM
This place got funny. Hold on let me get some popcorn....ok continue.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:40 AM   #79
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

shart,

By "his fans," do you mean those that simply like him or liked his movie or those who completely agree with him? Because I'd like to state for the record that you can be a fan of someone and not completely agree with them, or in fact disagree with them on several issues. So lumping Moore and his fans in the same boat may be a little premature and unfair.

I'll admit, there are quite a few things about Moore I find annoying, and some things just flat out piss me off. However, I think he does raise some very good points, and if you were to watch the film you might realize that some of the best points are those made when Moore isn't doing the talking.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:00 AM   #80
Refugee

Local Time: 01:56 PM
http://mediabistro.com/tvnewser/orig...ript_july1.htm

Makes O'Reilly sound almost Moore-ish.

Not that this is about tit-for-tat. Just don't assume anyone in the media is telling you the straight "facts." Ever.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:46 AM   #81
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Lilac

Exactly, this Bono is 'ours' hahaha crap is stupid Are you not allowed to like his music if you don't agree with everything he says?
That's always going to be a question related to U2 and their music. They're one of the few bands around that frequently have messages in their songs, and for many of their fans that's what makes them so attractive. I'm not religious, so I'd say "No," you don't have to agree with everything he says. Then again, the ideology of a band or artist does affect me; I'm always repulsed by artists who express far right beliefs, for example. I just don't forget that they wrote "Bullet the blue sky" as a statement against the Reagan administration and very much appeared to support Bill Clinton during his campaign against Bush senior. I remember reading a Bono interview in which he expressed a great deal of optimism after Clinton was elected.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:52 AM   #82
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!

hold me closer, tiny dancer.

I have long waited to hear these words from your lips.......

but who are you calling tiny?
Old 08-14-2004, 08:55 AM   #83
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen

I'll admit, there are quite a few things about Moore I find annoying, and some things just flat out piss me off. However, I think he does raise some very good points, and if you were to watch the film you might realize that some of the best points are those made when Moore isn't doing the talking.
I would agree with this except for the fact that he has cut, spliced, and put together the clips in ways that do not necessarily tell the whole story. It is misleading. Now, this is not to say the nightly news does not do the same thing. I think that Howard Dean was destroyed not by the scream, but by the way the news portrayed the scream, without the before and after, where you can clearly see he was trying to get his supporters out of the dumps from the loss.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:25 AM   #84
The Fly

Local Time: 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!

FYM REALLY lacks a sense of humor!

The one thing that I have always hated about FYM is the lack of people with a sense of humor.

If you want humor then go back to IO: we are not amused
Old 08-14-2004, 09:26 AM   #85
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:56 AM
Thats the royal we you see
Old 08-14-2004, 11:21 AM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780

Lately I've really liked Bill O'Reilly. You guys probably hate him. The reason I like him is because he doesn't pull stuff out of his arse. If he tells you something you can be sure it was researched and that he looked over ot closely.
You should see the film "Outfoxed" and see what O'Reilly is really all about. He is most definitely all about pulling stuff out of his arse. In fact, the only thing he hasn't pulled out of his arse yet is his head.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:24 PM   #87
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
In fact, the only thing he hasn't pulled out of his arse yet is his head.

Pass the popcorn, BVS.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:46 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Harper

That's always going to be a question related to U2 and their music. They're one of the few bands around that frequently have messages in their songs, and for many of their fans that's what makes them so attractive. I'm not religious, so I'd say "No," you don't have to agree with everything he says. Then again, the ideology of a band or artist does affect me; I'm always repulsed by artists who express far right beliefs, for example. I just don't forget that they wrote "Bullet the blue sky" as a statement against the Reagan administration and very much appeared to support Bill Clinton during his campaign against Bush senior. I remember reading a Bono interview in which he expressed a great deal of optimism after Clinton was elected.
I would say that U2 have a large group of fans that like to lump in all sorts of political views that the band may or may not have. Fact is, most people do not know about the bands political views on a lot of issues. Bullet the Blue Sky was a song slamming the Reagan administration, it was a song that was against the type of intervention the Reagan administration was engaged in, in Central America at the time.

Sunday Bloody Sunday is not a song against all war, but a song against the type of violence and conflict going on in Northern Ireland.

Many liberals lable U2 as pacifist, but in fact, Bono has come out and said that they are not pacifist. Bono and the Edge were disappointed that the United States did not intervene with military action in Bosnia in 1993.( the USA eventually did in 1995)
Bono in the January 2002 issue of HOT PRESS expressed his support for Bush's war efforts at that time and support for the war in Afghanistan. There are many other occasions where Bono has complemented Bush and his administration.

U2 may be consider liberal in Alabama, but in Ireland, I think they are probably considered moderate or middle of the road. But to little is known about many of their views, it is a mistake to lable the band, their fans, or question fans of certain political beliefs because their views may or may not agree with the bands views. I'm sure U2 does not mind the millions of Republican's and conservatives who actually buy their music and pay to see them in concert.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:24 PM   #89
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:56 AM
Interventionist Liberal could describe that, willingness to intervene where human rights are directly threatened and force is the best resolution.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:38 AM   #90
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
In fact, the only thing he hasn't pulled out of his arse yet is his head.
Hehe.

Sorry, but, yeah, O'Reilly does indeed bug me. He's so freakin' arrogant, for one thing...and that's a trait that I'm not fond of in people, I don't care who they are.

Angela