I'm sorry, but I don't find Michael Moore, or his fans, remotely credible. - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2004, 08:55 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:38 PM
oops double post

Old 08-13-2004, 08:55 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Really? Dont they have different views on education, health care, war, blah blah?

One of em must say something that sounds less worse than the other.

Can I just say, as someone who lives in the Rest of the World, that I would quite like it if politicians in the USA always considered the international ramifications of their actions the world may be a better place.

Old 08-13-2004, 09:52 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lilac

Exactly, this Bono is 'ours' hahaha crap is stupid Are you not allowed to like his music if you don't agree with everything he says?

Right, or Buddhist, Hindu, Jewish, or Wiccan. Like the political position, it shouldn't matter if you like the music.

Or are we back to the old 'real fan' stuff again?
Oh give me a fucking break! Ok, I'll bite. No, I don't think you have to be liberal to be a 'true' U2 fan.

However I do think it is fairly clear that Bono has held somewhat liberal sentiments on any number of issues, for many years... and yet, he's ok? Michael Moore is not Ok, but Bono is?

Or to stretch this one to breaking point, what about the Dixie Chicks? Are they ok? I mean maybe they sing some nice songs, but they said all those anti-war things, right? But that doesn't matter right, you don't have to agree with everything someone says to be a fan? Right?

I never said Bono is 'ours'. Fact is I am utterly sick of U2 so I hardly identify with them. There is no 'we', there is only me.

Look guys, I quite like Bob Dylan, but just for the tunes.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:04 PM   #64
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:38 PM
Surely no one actually cares what Bono thinks? I cringe every time this vacuous argument arises.

I also hate Bob Dylan

Nice work, K.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:09 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Well let's not get too carried away here. Bob Dylan is quite good. His 'live at the Albert Hall' concert is a religious experience for me...

Look guys, this thread needs to be moved to Bang and Clatter.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:11 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:38 AM
Thank you shant. According to you I'm not even remotely credible simpy because I read someone's books and see his movies.

Thank you.

I await my apology.

Old 08-13-2004, 10:13 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville

Look guys, this thread needs to be moved to Bang and Clatter.
I want it moved to Its Official. Lets discuss
Old 08-13-2004, 10:53 PM   #68
The Fly

Local Time: 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville

Oh give me a fucking break! Ok, I'll bite. No, I don't think you have to be liberal to be a 'true' U2 fan.
Hey don't jump on me, I was only agreeing with someone else (misty) who brought it up first, and she was responding to someone who left the impression if you don't agree with liberal politics how could you be a U2 fan. So that's the background.

Quote:
However I do think it is fairly clear that Bono has held somewhat liberal sentiments on any number of issues, for many years... and yet, he's ok? Michael Moore is not Ok, but Bono is?
Bono has yet to put out a large scale propaganda movie trying to sway others to his views.

Quote:
what about the Dixie Chicks? Are they ok?
IMO, no. I do not care for their music, regardless of their politics. Their song "Earl" makes me sick. If men had sang a song about killing their wife, they'd be accused of sexism No I'm not 'taking it too seriously' it just came up when I was thinking of their music.

Quote:
Look guys, I quite like Bob Dylan, but just for the tunes.
I like Bob Dylan's songs. I don't care what he thinks about politics.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:06 PM   #69
ONE
love, blood, life

Moore has has absolutly nothing to do with celebrities who become activists, he is an activist who became a celebrity.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:12 PM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lilac
Bono has yet to put out a large scale propaganda movie trying to sway others to his views.
I am sorry, but I cannot name a current rockstar who has spewed more liberal propaganda (whether you agree or disagree with it) than Paul "bono Vox" Hewson - an I am SURE he is doing it to "sway others to his views."

Michael Moore and Bono are like twins in this category
Old 08-13-2004, 11:18 PM   #71
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:38 AM
I am going to be sick... MM and Bono twins?

ALso what is with this apology crap. I have crossed the boarder and defended liberals in this forum when I see people attacking them. Short of Verte coming to my defense and Anitram....very few have sent that courtesy my way when I have been publicly attacked. There have been PLENTY of blanket statements about idiots who support Bush ect. Cry me a river....Don't hold your breath there are no aplogies in here, and blanket statements run rampant, there have been plenty about Evangelical Christians or Catholics that could have been taken personally, but because no one directly uses other posters names so it slides.

I cannot wait until this election is over. The crap in here is starting to stink worse than the campaign ads.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:22 PM   #72
The Fly

Local Time: 01:38 PM

Bono does not 'spew liberal propaganda"

I'm not talking about some quote dragged out of some obscure 20 year old magazine article, or some loose interpretation of some song. The only issue Bono is openly and actively 'spewing' about is the Jubilee/DATA thing, which is bipartisan and has the backing of the not so liberal Pope, as well as people from all ideological spectrums.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:26 PM   #73
ONE
love, blood, life

Bono embraces common causes that people can generally agree with, most things that may be bigger than partisan politics. Moore on the other hand directs personal attacks against his targets and critics, he supports those murdering US troops then reminds people not to question his patriotism, he makes out like he's the little guy when in fact he is a multi-millionaire who commands his own media kingdom. He deliberately works to piss people off, to bash his opponents credibility and when they are fully smeared walk away victorious, without having achieved a damn thing. What has Moore got to show for all his achievements, a few moderately funny TV Shows and "documentaries" and some throwaway books that appeal to the populist lowest common denominator of "my leader is a dumbass, lets laugh at him". He is doing it all for the money and the publicity, frankly he is a liability to the "left" because if he represents the mainstream, how the hell can there be any decent debate and discourse, politics is only as good as each side and when Moore takes center stage it is just going to be nasty bashing and character assasinations with no in depth discussion of real issues.

Bono is not Moores twin when it comes to swaying other to his views, unless of course Bono goes out and deliberately smears everyone who he disagrees with and writes books to the style of "I hate this man because...". He will try to sway those on all sides of the political spectrum, he has achieved much more than Moore ever did and has maintained his credibility all the while.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:35 PM   #74
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I am going to be sick... MM and Bono twins?
hold me closer, tiny dancer.

FYM REALLY lacks a sense of humor!

Lighten up people...if you can't see the humor in Michael Moore and Bono "pratically being twins..." then you you need to push your chair away from the computer and go outside for a bit. Don't take YOURSELF so seriously.

The one thing that I have always hated about FYM is the lack of people with a sense of humor.

Old 08-13-2004, 11:42 PM   #75
ONE
love, blood, life

Oh I have humour, but the thought of comparing Moore and Bono makes me feel ill. Moore and Limbaugh, Moore and Leni Riefenstahl thats pretty funny but Bono - WTF?