I'm sorry, but I don't find Michael Moore, or his fans, remotely credible. - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-13-2004, 12:35 PM   #31
War Child
 
mistyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Where Life Is Worth Living
Posts: 587
Local Time: 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville
Hey guys, why do you even listen to u2, isn't Bono a liberal and stuff? Jesus Freaking Christ! My head is exploding.
Unless you were being facetious, that's ridiculous to say you have to be a liberal to listen and enjoy U2.

It would be saying "you have to be a Christian" or at least believe in God and Christ to be a U2 fan, since God/Jesus/spirituality is so prevalent to U2's music and 3/4ths of the band members have called themselves Christian at one point or another. Yet U2 has fans who are athiests or agnostics.
__________________

__________________
mistyrose is offline  
Old 08-13-2004, 12:35 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life
 
HelloAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: new york city
Posts: 14,534
Local Time: 07:59 AM
I don't find people who don't question reality and refuse to seek as many viewpoints as possible remotely credible. I find people who out and out damn other people and make sweeping generalizations highly offensive and very unnecessary. Just because you are Right wing doesn't make you right. Just the same for left wingers too.

MM gives a voice to those of us who know that the goverment limits our knowledge of certain things/areas on the news. There are more answers out there than we are getting. The President is NOT infallible. You don't have to be what some people call "extreme left wing" to understand that MM is just trying to get people to question what they're being told - at least for my purposes. There ARE other truths out there, and if you honestly believe that our Presidents - be them Rep or Dem - are always truthful, non corrupt and out for everyone's best interest and safety, you are very mistaken. That is NOT a conspiracy theory, that is being realistic and smart.
__________________

__________________
HelloAngel is offline  
Old 08-13-2004, 01:48 PM   #33
The Fly
 
Lilac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 231
Local Time: 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel
I don't find people who don't question reality and refuse to seek as many viewpoints as possible remotely credible. I find people who out and out damn other people and make sweeping generalizations highly offensive and very unnecessary. Just because you are Right wing doesn't make you right. Just the same for left wingers too.

MM gives a voice to those of us who know that the goverment limits our knowledge of certain things/areas on the news. There are more answers out there than we are getting. The President is NOT infallible. You don't have to be what some people call "extreme left wing" to understand that MM is just trying to get people to question what they're being told - at least for my purposes. There ARE other truths out there, and if you honestly believe that our Presidents - be them Rep or Dem - are always truthful, non corrupt and out for everyone's best interest and safety, you are very mistaken. That is NOT a conspiracy theory, that is being realistic and smart.
Gee you sure sound defensive. Due to several references I am quite sure you are referring to my post. Well the 'sweeping generalizations' do occur on both sides, read ThatGuy's and Danospano's posts in both this and the "bush on larry king" thread where people who do not hate Bush are called "stupid" "ignorant" and "don't deserve respect" I hope you are including both sides in that because that's what's happening. Another thing that's happening is, as the lady with bumper sticker mentioned, things are more polarized now than they've been in a long time. There is much more of an 'us vs them' thing than I've ever seen or ever heard of in this country other than the Civil War! It also appears the members here are starting to not only judge and attack but dislike each other for their views. As the campaign heats up, it can only get worse. I predict more trouble, less civility, less objectivity, more hard feelings, lost friends, bannings, and general ickiness. I pity the mods!

I don't see MM as being the 'truth.' He is nothing more than reactionary propaganda. Talk about playing on people's fears, which is what Bush gets accused of here! I also think there are few, if any, people who don't question the government and all of us are suspicous of it, no one is following blindly, that's crazy, and actually an insult and an incorrect assumption. Personally I take it for granted that the government and both parties are liars and I consider the source. MM is a wacko looking for a following he, unfortunately, seems to have found.
__________________
Lilac is offline  
Old 08-13-2004, 01:57 PM   #34
Refugee
 
ThatGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Vertigo
Posts: 1,277
Local Time: 03:59 AM
I didn't post in the Larry King thread, and you apparently missed the irony of my post in this thread.

And yes, HA was talking about people on the right and the left. She said so herself in her first paragraph. Gee, you sure sound defensive.
__________________
ThatGuy is offline  
Old 08-13-2004, 02:05 PM   #35
The Fly
 
Lilac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 231
Local Time: 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy
I didn't post in the Larry King thread, and you apparently missed the irony of my post in this thread.
I meant you and him, whatever you posted, in either thread. Irony? Sure that wasn't just a throwoff on shart1780? Also I don't think any message board veteran, and I'm a veteran of an all politics board too, believes that things are really 'irony' or 'jokes' as much as the vicious intent, though disguised somewhat cleverly, that was their actual intent.

Quote:
And yes, HA was talking about people on the right and the left. She said so herself in her first paragraph. Gee, you sure sound defensive.
Yes I am. So was she. So are you. Everything I said about the 'us vs them' is coming true. Like minded people jump in and defend each other against 'the enemy' like you just did her and I did the person who started this thread. So my predictions are playing out right on schedule. It can only get worse.
__________________
Lilac is offline  
Old 08-13-2004, 02:12 PM   #36
Refugee
 
ThatGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Vertigo
Posts: 1,277
Local Time: 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lilac


I meant you and him, whatever you posted, in either thread. Irony? Sure that wasn't just a throwoff on shart1780? Also I don't think any message board veteran, and I'm a veteran of an all politics board too, believes that things are really 'irony' or 'jokes' as much as the vicious intent, though disguised somewhat cleaverly, that was their actual intent.
]

Please don't try to tell me what my intent was after I've already told you what I meant by it. You can assume anything you want but that doesn't make it the truth.

Quote:
Yes I am. So was she. So are you. Everything I said about the 'us vs them' is coming true. Like minded people jump in and defend each other against 'the enemy' like you just did her and I did the person who started this thread. So my predictions are playing out right on schedule. It can only get worse.
Actually I jumped in here because you said something about me that wasn't true. I don't agree with what Danospano said, and I didn't like being lumped in with those comments. I only "defended" HA's post because you clearly didn't read her first paragraph.

And it only "gets worse" when discussion becomes attack.
__________________
ThatGuy is offline  
Old 08-13-2004, 02:13 PM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life
 
HelloAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: new york city
Posts: 14,534
Local Time: 07:59 AM
I never said MM was the truth. And I don't know why he should be branded as a wacko. I think any extreme perspective can be seen as wacko. I don't see him as extreme. But then again, what do I know?

And yes, I was talking about people on both sides. I see merit in both arguments. What I don't like is when people attack each other. I haven't done that in my post. But I'll stop posting in here now because I'm sure I bring nothing to this messy table.
__________________
HelloAngel is offline  
Old 08-13-2004, 02:18 PM   #38
New Yorker
 
Scarletwine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Outside it's Amerika
Posts: 2,746
Local Time: 06:59 AM
The title is offensive in the least.
Considering his movies are very popular as well as his books, you've lumped an awful lot of people and Un-credible. What a conceited, elitist crock of shit.

Hopefully you learn tolerance with age.
__________________
Scarletwine is offline  
Old 08-13-2004, 02:47 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington State
Posts: 3,861
Local Time: 11:59 AM
Wow, most of you didn't understand what I was trying to say at all.

I'm not saying anyone who doesn't support Bush isn't respectable or anything. I'm a conservative but heck, I know some very respectable liberals. I may not agree with alot of their views but they present themselves in a respectable manner and seem to think things out and be completelty honest people. My problem with Moore is that he just can't be respected. He's obviously a liar.

Ok and don't give me the "well all politicians are liars what do you expect???" line. No politicians are 100% truthful, but at the same time I'm not going to assume they're lying until it's proven. Alot of politicans have been accused of lying but there's not been alot of proof.

Moore's an outright liar. I've read enough articles proving how he twists the truth to know this. So do alot of other people. I don't have a problem with people questioning the government because alot of times it should be questioned. But Moore's entire career seems to be based off of lies and deceit. It's not hard to see either. He makes whoever he dislikes out to be big meanies abusing the poor innocent person. Just watch any of his 'documentaries' and you'll see it. Either the white man is abusing the poor black man or the poor Arab man.

My point is that there's alot of respectable conservatives and alot of respectable liberals. I've seen too many instances where Moore has been proven to lie to trust anything he says at all. It's not just a liberals vs. democrats thing. Heck, alot of liberals agree with me. They'll tell you he's a liar too.
__________________
shart1780 is offline  
Old 08-13-2004, 02:49 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 04:59 AM
Everywhere you say "Moore" I would replace with "Bush" and it would be true.
__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 08-13-2004, 02:53 PM   #41
Refugee
 
ThatGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Vertigo
Posts: 1,277
Local Time: 03:59 AM
Hey, I already did that, joyfulgirl.
__________________
ThatGuy is offline  
Old 08-13-2004, 03:56 PM   #42
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,234
Local Time: 05:59 AM
Kids.





__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 08-13-2004, 04:04 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,255
Local Time: 05:59 AM
Well, so much for the whole olive branch thing staying intact .

Anywho, I feel completely out of the loop here-I've not read a single one of Moore's books and still haven't seen either one of his movies. So I don't know who to side with in this whole thing.

Hence why I think I shall just stay neutral.

Angela
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 08-13-2004, 04:11 PM   #44
The Fly
 
Lilac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 231
Local Time: 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by mistyrose


Unless you were being facetious, that's ridiculous to say you have to be a liberal to listen and enjoy U2.
Exactly, this Bono is 'ours' hahaha crap is stupid Are you not allowed to like his music if you don't agree with everything he says?

Quote:
It would be saying "you have to be a Christian" or at least believe in God and Christ to be a U2 fan, since God/Jesus/spirituality is so prevalent to U2's music and 3/4ths of the band members have called themselves Christian at one point or another. Yet U2 has fans who are athiests or agnostics.
Right, or Buddhist, Hindu, Jewish, or Wiccan. Like the political position, it shouldn't matter if you like the music.

Or are we back to the old 'real fan' stuff again?
__________________
Lilac is offline  
Old 08-13-2004, 05:28 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy
Hey, I already did that, joyfulgirl.






Great minds.
__________________

__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com