I'm So Sorry - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2005, 01:45 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:23 AM
Having done enough research on her myself, I do not need right wing media storm troopers to decide what I think about her. I read the reports and her comments, and have seen enough of the people she has spoken out for and with over the last year to make up my mind about her.

Old 08-15-2005, 01:50 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Back to the topic at hand....

I can remember when people in this forum would hold the war dead saying he was not facing the families....

This article pretty much shows that is false.

Old 08-15-2005, 02:04 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Back to the topic at hand....

I can remember when people in this forum would hold the war dead saying he was not facing the families....

This article pretty much shows that is false.

sorry, but one sentimental article (in a magazine that the WH had the gall to blame for dead post-riot Afghanis in that whole Koran-toilet debacle) does not a compassionate man make. it really doesn't matter what the right wing media shock troops, or you, think of Cindy Sheehan. a greiving mother is way more compelling than a vacationing president who clears brush for fun (lost on him is the fact that, in the real world, people have to clear brush for paychecks).

why no post-war plan? what was victory supposed to look like anyway? why roadside bombs and not the roses to greet our troops like Cheney promised?

i cannot, for the life of me, understand people (not you, Dread) who might have had coherent reasons for supporting the invasion who are not bashing this adminsitration, and particularly Rumsfeld, for making essentially wrong decisions at each and every critical moment. it's a mess, the war is essentially over, new euphamisms ("global struggle against violent extremism") are being tossed out like Coca-Cola Classic after the 1985 New Coke bomb, expectations have been lowered, and recruiting goals are coming up so short that (gasp!) they're now ignoring the whole "don't ask/don't tell" clause.

it's over. i'm sorry it's over, i'm sorry we screwed it up, i'm sorry Iraq is now a haven for terrorists and increasingly religious, i'm sorry our leaders invaded for poorly supported reasons and then didn't have anything resembling a post-war plan.

seems as if everyone gets this but Mr. Bush and Mr. "last throes" Cheney.

sorry, a bit off topic, but needed to vent for a moment.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:28 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

That's a beautiful article, my first instinct is to wonder- why does he not show that level of emotion in public? Because it would be seen as "weak", contrary to his image? I would have so much more respect for him if he did. I am not questioning his sincerity w/ those families, I believe that is real emotion. You would have to be inhuman otherwise.

If it's true that Cindy Sheehan met w/ him shortly after her son's death, maybe her state of grief at the time didn't permit her to have coherent thoughts and questions about the war. Maybe she just sought comfort from President Bush and to honor her son's memory by meeting him. Things in Iraq have also certainly changed since then. That one parent in the article said to confront the President by questioning the war would disrespect their son, I can't remember the exact wording. However not everyone feels that way.

I just meant if it's true re how long it was after her son's death, I know it is true that she met w/ President Bush
Old 08-15-2005, 02:31 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
That's a beautiful article, my first instinct is to wonder- why does he not show that level of emotion in public? Because it would be seen as "weak", contrary to his image? I would have so much more respect for him if he did. I am not questioning his sincerity w/ those families, I believe that is real emotion. You would have to be inhuman otherwise.
I think he has shown that level of emotion twice that I can recall. I also remember people feeling it was not genuine.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:10 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

but if he refuses to alter any strategies or admit any error or refuse to listen to any advisor who doesn't tell him what he wants to hear (witness the firing of Gen. Shinseki), just how geniune can his sorrow be?

people who are genuinely sorry make amends. they atone for their errors.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:13 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:23 AM
Oh, so she actually has met him..........OK.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:16 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

I keep thinking about, who was it Al Gore who talked about Clinton putting things into "boxes"? I don't know, I can't remember

It's like that's what Bush does..families and sorrow, being sorry about that into one box..the war itself into another box.

Then again many people compartmentalize like that, it's a coping and defense mechanism. But they aren't running a country and making decisions that affect so many lives.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:41 PM   #24
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:23 AM
I find it puzzling that Cindy Sheehan gets tarred and feathered as an exploitative, agenda-driven hypocrite for simultaneously being an antiwar activist and a grieving mother, whereas Bush's own considerable vested interests in the matter apparently pose no threat at all to the perceived sincerity of his teary-eyed breastbeating at these carefully planned events.