Im sick and tired of The American Guilt Complex - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2002, 10:27 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:00 PM

True, some of the Europeans have criticised the E.U. concept.

And Blair's support of the War on Terrorism.

~U2Alabama

Old 11-16-2002, 05:44 AM   #47
you are what you is

Local Time: 09:00 PM
I planned to leave Holland (well almost) when the current (almost past) government was elected even though the political party I support is in it

I think the way the political party I support is acting nowadays is questionable (for a lack of a better word)

I think the current efforts for European unity are lack lustre

I want to congratulate myself of giving Bama an online orgasm by expressing my doubts on dutch/european subjects

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 11-16-2002, 12:12 PM   #48
Refugee

Local Time: 08:00 PM
It is true that the current efforts for European Unity are lacklustre, but why leave it at that? I think they are appalling and governed by a shameless display of self-interest and political greed; and I have my eyes firmly placed on France and Germany when stating this.

I criticise France for its gung-ho attitude to the whole European concept, "it is OUR way or the highway, you will pay for our farmers and smile about it". They can do this, because they have Germany right behind them.

Britain is pretty much lacklustre, to say the least, when it comes to the EU. You have a government that wants more intergation (which I totally agree with) and a lot of pig-ignorant people in the general public who think that it would be 'giving up soveriegnty', and you have a Prime Minister who, when tackling the selfish interests of the French, is accused of being 'rude' by the French president.

So, yes. The moment Britain removes its head from the sand and Germany and France stop being so bloody selfish, then European integration will be that much better off.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 11-16-2002, 03:37 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Any chance the United Kingdom will adopt the Euro in the near future?
Old 11-16-2002, 07:45 PM   #50
Refugee

"Any chance the United Kingdom will adopt the Euro in the near future?"

Well, the Labour government, a loooong time ago, said that they would decide when the time would come. The time would be decided when the 'five economic tests' were met and our chancellor was satisfied with the results. The deadline, it has been announced, will be next year, and indeed, the Queen's speech made it clear that 'my government will decide whether to join the Euro or not following the five economic tests' - so whatever the decision is, it will be decided sometime soon.

The UK, although it elected a Euro-friendly government, is pretty much divided over the whole thing. A lot of people want it, they want to be a bigger part of Europe and feel that joining the Euro will do so. A lot of people, however, are very euro-phobic. They see the Euro as a loss of sovereignty, economic jeopardy, being dictated to by foreign countries, takin orders from France and Germany etc. Our Prime Minister, though, is a huge Euro-fan. Its no secret that he wants to be president of Europe.

I hope we join, I really hope we do.

Ant.

Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'