im scared to be raptured

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

love_u2_adam

Blue Crack Addict
Heaven In Alberta, Where We Got All Hell For A Bas
i don't know if this should go into fym or zoo confessions but its religion soo I'll put it in here!!

ok getting on with it..im scared to be raptured into heaven because i may not be good enough..i don't wanna confess my sins, i wanna live my life, i wanna get married, i wanna have a relation ship..i wanna be an adult! For the first time in almost a year i went to church last Sunday with a friend..it felt good but i felt like "if i don't do this all the time i might get stuck here, i might not get into heaven". i mean from time to time i read my bible, but my family doesn't go to church...my dad thinks the bible has been changed so many times it just crap..we have about 10 bibles in our house i don't get it at all, ok getting back on track...its hard to worship when you have nothing to worship..i never talk about god, i never talk about the bible. i have though excepted god into my heart and i have gone to confession. i pray a lot and i know i have him around me but i just don't know. Every one keeps telling me he's coming and its really overwellming when people are telling you that soon you're going to have to confess and you're going to see the devil and you're going to see god and Jesus and your convertible world is going to go to the shits soon..i mean i can't take it!! i feel like oh shit i suck at religion and i suck at worshiping god and how can i do this if i don't know what im talking about..its hard, i know what i want i just don't know how to get it!! I have kinda switched tracks a little, going from being raptured to god and stuff but it was nice to get off my chest:)

Last edited:
Thats cool though that you vent like that. I think its good in a way to let your feelings out.

I know a man who died a few weeks back. And a couple days before he died, he met with my pastor. And he told my pastor how he felt uneasy about something. My pastor asked him if he was uneasy because he didn't know if he was saved or not. The man said "no" ... he said that he knew he was saved, and that he knew he had Jesus in his heart. After a little while, my pastor asked him if he was uneasy because he didn't know if he lived his life 'good' enough ... if he didn't please God enough. The man said that this is what he was uneasy about. My pastor said that he smiled to the man, and told him how luckily, it isn't about what we do on earth. All God will see is what Jesus did for us a couple thousand years ago ... how He died on the cross for us.

The same goes for everyone who has accepted Jesus into their hearts. Its not about what we have done, rather its about what Jesus already did for us.

With that being said, I would say it is important to be mindful of the times we are living in. Just look at what is going on in Israel right now. Read Ezekiel chapter 38. Its a prophecy that seems as though it may come true very soon. It speaks of how Russia, Iran, and Syria will invade Israel with a number of other nations. It is all unfolding right before us, and it is awesome to see. Just keep praying to God; read His word and trust in the promises He has already given you.

I just hope that encourages you in some way.

With that being said, I would say it is important to be mindful of the times we are living in. Just look at what is going on in Israel right now. Read Ezekiel chapter 38. Its a prophecy that seems as though it may come true very soon. It speaks of how Russia, Iran, and Syria will invade Israel with a number of other nations. It is all unfolding right before us, and it is awesome to see.
So political theory, realpolitik and human nature take a back seat?

Im not saying that anything takes a backseat. But I am saying that it is more than coincidence that a book, and a particular chapter, that were written thousands of years ago, are now unfolding in front of the entire world. And at the same time, I am trying to give comfort to someone who is currently going through a difficult time spiritually.

I just looked it up and I found nothing specific, and telling somebody that the world is going to end (the particular part that I was raising issue with) hardly seems comforting.

love_u2_adam I think that your concern is legitimate because you are worried, ultimately only you can find resolution for worries in faith, seeking advice is a perfectly fine way to resolve these existential questions. I think that if you live a moral life and treat other people well then not only will you have fufilled the tenents of your faith then you will be a decent human being and any loving God would judge you favourably.

Fear should never be used to justify faith, if you believe in God then do so for the right reasons and not coercion or the threat of eternal damnation, the world is going to keep on spinning and worrying about an end that may never come can distract from the good and the not so good in the here and now.

Last edited:
netminder0 said:
With that being said, I would say it is important to be mindful of the times we are living in. Just look at what is going on in Israel right now. Read Ezekiel chapter 38. Its a prophecy that seems as though it may come true very soon. It speaks of how Russia, Iran, and Syria will invade Israel with a number of other nations. It is all unfolding right before us, and it is awesome to see. Just keep praying to God; read His word and trust in the promises He has already given you.

You think this is bad? You missed out on the 11-12th century A.D.:

The early Arab period was also one of religious tolerance. However, in the early 11th century, the Egyptian Fatimid Caliph Al-Hakim bi-Amr Allah ordered the destruction of all churches and synagogues in Jerusalem, a policy reversed by his successors. Reports of this were one cause of the First Crusade, which marched off from Europe to the area, and, on July 15, 1099, Christian soldiers took Jerusalem after a difficult one month siege. They then proceeded to slaughter most of the city's Muslim and Jewish inhabitants. Raymond d'Aguiliers, chaplain to Raymond de Saint-Gilles, Count of Toulouse, wrote:

Piles of heads, hands, and feet were to be seen in the streets of the city. It was necessary to pick one's way over the bodies of men and horses. But these were small matters compared to what happened at the Temple of Solomon, a place where religious ceremonies were ordinarily chanted. What happened there? If I tell the truth, it will exceed your powers of belief. So let it suffice to say this much, at least, that in the Temple and porch of Solomon, men rode in blood up to their knees and bridle-reins. Indeed, it was a just and splendid judgment of God that this place should be filled with the blood of unbelievers, since it had suffered so long from their blasphemies. The city was filled with corpses and blood. (Edward Peters, The First Crusade: The chronicle of Fulcher of Chartres and other source materials, p. 214)

In fact, a brief history of the region of Palestine, which includes modern-day Israel, reveals an endless territorial tug of war. It is, in fact, abnormal for this area *not* to be part of a larger empire/conquest.

Really, I'm tired of all this Rapture fearmongering. The entire concept is an outgrowth of 19th century American evangelical Protestantism and did not widely exist prior to that.

Even that, any student of history would realize that the present time is actually much better than any period in the past, so it is quite telling that the world didn't end when things were obviously bad like in the Middle Ages. We live in a relatively peaceful period of time right now.

I know, that's not what people want to hear. So, to the original poster, I wouldn't worry too much.

Melon

Kayla, no need to worry, I think...

I've had these feelings quite some time as well, but I think I've overcome them...

You will be okay... This fear-thing will pass, and if not, just try to search yourself for the question why you are afraid? Maybe you can talk to other people about it (just like you're doing here), and maybe it will help.

I'm here for you as well :yes: :hug:

First of all, A_Wanderer, you obviously don't have very much knowledge in biblical prophecies or teachings. Once the prophecy in Ezekiel 38 is completed, then the rapture can occur at any time. That is a fact based on scripture.

Secondly A_Wanderer, don't tell anyone that by living a good and moral life they can be saved according to the Bble, because that goes against everything the Bible says. Please don't talk about things that you think you know about. The Bible says that Jesus' blood cleanses a man from sin. And that faith in Him alone will lead to salvation. Living a good and moral life is futile, because in God's eyes, every single person is guilty of breaking the law.
With that being said, I'm not saying don't live a good life ... because a good life is the result of loving God. However, a good life does not get a person into heaven or anything like that.

netminder0 said:
Secondly A_Wanderer, don't tell anyone that by living a good and moral life they can be saved according to the Bble, because that goes against everything the Bible says. Please don't talk about things that you think you know about. The Bible says that Jesus' blood cleanses a man from sin. And that faith in Him alone will lead to salvation. Living a good and moral life is futile, because in God's eyes, every single person is guilty of breaking the law.
With that being said, I'm not saying don't live a good life ... because a good life is the result of loving God. However, a good life does not get a person into heaven or anything like that.

i fully agree with A_W, and if living life to the best of my abilities isn't good enough for God, then it's not a God i'm terribly interested in.

My advice to you love_u2_adam is not to depend a single source of information. Get out there and read or talk to other people. Just because a pastor at a church tells you that the rapture is coming doesn't mean it's true. Just because people on a message board tell you it is real doesn't mean it's true. Just because people tell you it's not true doesn't mean it either.

Get more information and make your decision and lifestyle choices based on what you think, not what others think. When I was your age, I went to a school which continually bombarded us with these thoughts of the Rapture and Second Coming and we were shitbaked the whole time. We grew up and realized that there is something wrong with a religion which uses fear to encourage worship and prayer. My two cents.

Last edited:
I agree with melon ... that region on earth has always been at war ... ever since the Israelites inherited the land thousands of years ago. But the prophecy in Ezekiel 38 includes Russian forces going to war against Israel along with other nations. This has never occured in history up to this point.
And the radical thing is ... up until 1947 ... there was no nation of Israel. It had been wiped off the map and the Jewish people scattered. Now however, there is an Israel.

so for the sake of the planet

we should get the Jews out of the Israel

and certainly make sure they don't build David's Temple

we actually would be doing them a great favor

because we all know the Jews get vaporized (with all the other non-Christians) during the rapture

^HAHAHAHA!!

laughatabove.gif

Deep, you kill me!!

Its more like 144,000 ... 12,000 from each tribe.

Many people look at it like you guys do ... if God doesn't love me for who I am, then I don't want anything to do with Him. But you're missing the point. You're a sinner ... I am a sinner ... we are all sinners. We all need to be cleansed from our sins, because our sins have separated us from God. You can't get back over to God, unless you do something about your sins. And until you do, you are just living a dead religion.

netminder0 said:
Many people look at it like you guys do ... if God doesn't love me for who I am, then I don't want anything to do with Him. But you're missing the point. You're a sinner ... I am a sinner ... we are all sinners. We all need to be cleansed from our sins, because our sins have separated us from God. You can't get back over to God, unless you do something about your sins. And until you do, you are just living a dead religion.

oh, good. it's settled then.

cake for everyone! :happy:

Do you not comprehend that everyone here isn't a Christian and this constant blather about "you're sinners!!" means absolutely nothing to some of those people?

netminder0 said:
I didn't know I was saying it constantly. I thought I just said it in my last post.

Wasn't directed just at you - it's a constant on this forum, this reference to "we're all sinners" and I can tell you that it means nothing to people who don't share your faith.

You think you found your truth. But their truth is not your truth.

The Bible speaks of the 144,000 Israelites sealed in Revelation 7.

And I understand that maybe the idea that we're all sinners won't impact them greatly, but it does convey what the Bible says, which I believe is the truth. And you may say that the Bible is my truth and not theirs, but I would have to disagree. There can only be one universal truth. Truth isn't a matter of interpretation. What is truth, is truth, whether someone believes it or not.

For example, if one person says that 2 plus 2 equals 4, and the other that 2 plus 2 equals 22, then one must be wrong. 2 plus 2 cannot be anything other than 4, ever ... no matter what. Person 2 might believe that 2 plus 2 is 22, but they are wrong.

My point is ... the Bible is truth for everyone .. however some people choose not to believe it, and want truth to be whatever they believe.

netminder0 said:
My point is ... the Bible is truth for everyone .. however some people choose not to believe it, and want truth to be whatever they believe.

many paths, netminder, many paths.

one day, humility, tolerance, and respect will find you.

I agree with anitram.

The truth to me is that I don't like seeing a young girl feeling doubt and uncertainty about her life and future because of a visit to a religious centre. I don't like reading her anxiousness and fears about her purpose because of interpretations of vaguely written documents from thousands of years ago by a guy at a pulpit. A lot of people believe Nostrodomus was the truth too but I don't agree with them either. This truth you describe is the very thing that caused me to rebuke God.

Last edited:
What do you mean 'many paths'? Are you saying that nothing is absolute? Are you saying that there is no way that only one way works?

First of all, this may sound somewhat prideful, but I know that I am more humble than the average person. Secondly, I am very tolerant of other people ... I make a point to love everyone, no matter who they are. Also, who have I disrespected here? By saying that there is only one, true way, I have been disrespectful?

All I'm saying is that no one (myself included) is perfect ... which means we all need Jesus. I'm not saying we all need to go to church, or we all need religion ... I'm saying that we all need Jesus.

netminder0 said:
The Bible speaks of the 144,000 Israelites sealed in Revelation 7.

So what's the point of free will, if those marked is already determined.

This is why I have a problem with literalism.

netminder0 said:
What do you mean 'many paths'? Are you saying that nothing is absolute? Are you saying that there is no way that only one way works?

What about those that don't get to hear your truth due to geography? Time? or sheltered lives?

netminder0 said:

yes, that's what i'm saying. i hope you'll get to meet all the Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, and Muslims who will be in heaven with you.

[q]First of all, this may sound somewhat prideful, but I know that I am more humble than the average person. Secondly, I am very tolerant of other people ... I make a point to love everyone, no matter who they are. Also, who have I disrespected here? By saying that there is only one, true way, I have been disrespectful?[/q]

the first sentence pretty much explains the whole problem i have and just how self-serving it all is -- the whole, "oh, it's not me that's saying this, it's God" / "oh, i love everyone, even the non-saved." no, it is you that is saying it, offering up a rock-solid worldview that divides everyone up into saved/non-saved does little but increase your own sense of self-worth.

All I'm saying is that no one (myself included) is perfect ... which means we all need Jesus. I'm not saying we all need to go to church, or we all need religion ... I'm saying that we all need Jesus.

nope. lots of people don't need Jesus. in fact, most of the planet doesn't need Jesus. to insist that anyone, beyond you, "needs" Jesus is the height of cultural arrogance.

First off, if you believe God and what He says in the Bible, then you would believe that He is a just and fair God. He would never condemn anyone who shouldn't be condemned, and He wouldn't save anyone who shouldn't be saved. He is just.
God reveals Himself to everyone who truly wants to find Him. We do have free will. Those 144,000 are people that actually choose to follow God. They have lived lives that glorify Him ... because they choose to.

The Bible includes many accounts of people that sought God, and He revealed Himself to them. Acts 8:26-38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom