i'm offended and i demand an apology

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
martha said:

My whole class is gonna find this out tomorrow when they get a test back. :yikes:

:lmao:

I was always pretty good at grammar, but like Yolland said upthread it was more intuitive from reading so much. Latin lessons helped formalize the rules for me though, making German easier. I guess some years later I'm actually discovering a use for that damned waste of time beyond SAT vocab words. Everyone at my high school had to get good at grammar pretty fast, because it wasn't just part of our English grade but also part of our Latin grade. :yuck:

yolland said:

I had to shamefacedly admit at that point that I didn't really understand any of that dangling participle stuff and so forth either; it was just that because I read so much, I somehow had an intuitive feel for what "sounded" right, even though I was at a loss to articulate what rules I was applying. Personally, I've found the same thing to be true with pretty much every foreign language I've studied--I'm often bewildered by the technical explanations of various grammar points when I read them, but once I get a look at sentences which apply them, it all just makes sense and I understand what to do, even though I couldn't really tell you why.

Lol. I was explaining use of comma, semi-colon and period to somebody I was tutoring. Basically, I told them forget the rules. Short pause--comma, slightly longer pause-- semi-colon, longer pause-- period. We just broke down the rhythm of the sentence.
She learned more by rhythm than rule.

Oh, so English is Germanic :reject: Oops. It doesn't matter, I suck at both. Oh and about the Canterbury Tales, I had to memorize the intro!!!! I'm gonna kill the spelling, but:

Whan that abril with his shores soote
The draught of march had pearced tru the roote

:blah:

Lies, you're spot on with the dialects! I had a catalan professor, and one who had studied in argentina...I felt like I was learning something different each time. And then of course, conversations with my relatives were even more different.

Yolland - I don't think I stayed with the language long enough to completely understand the grammar, I only took it for a year (and spent years of my life watching anime & listening to j-pop). But I could write & pronounce it naturally!

:sad: Not even The Miller's Tale?
Derk was the night as pich, or as the cole,
And at the window out she putte hir hole,
And Absolon, him fil no bet ne wers,
But with his mouth he kiste hir naked ers
Ful savourly, er he was war of this
Abak he sterte, and thoghte it was amis,
For wel he wiste a womman hath no berd;
He felte a thing al rough and long y-herd,
And seyde, ‘fy! allas! what have I do?’
‘Tehee!’ quod she, and clapte the window to;
And Absolon goth forth a sory pas.
This Nicholas was risen for to pisse,
And thoghte he wolde amenden al the Iape,
He sholde kisse his ers er that he scape.
And up the windowe dide he hastily,
And out his ers he putteth prively
Over the buttok, to the haunche-bon;
And ther-with spak this clerk, this Absolon,
‘Spek, swete brid, I noot nat wher thou art.’
This Nicholas anon leet flee a fart,
As greet as it had been a thonder-dent,
That with the strook he was almost y-blent;
And he was redy with his iren hoot,
And Nicholas amidde the ers he smoot.

"John Lennon was once asked whether Ringo Starr was the best drummer in the world, to which he responded "He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles".

Liesje said:

Mia, hon, English is a Germanic language, not romance. But yeah, I hear ya, I do NOT have an ear for Spanish and haven't taken it since third grade :reject:. German was fine for me since I'm Dutch and grew up with Dutch, which is basically German one step closer to English (and our area's particular Dutch dialects, which are even closer to English). I really wish I'd had room in my college schedule to take more German. Damn liberal arts college! My German teacher before college taught us German as it is spoken in Hamburg, and I've always been interested in taking classes from profs that speak other dialects. I try to listen to as much German music as possible, to keep myself tuned.

Ah, the Hamburger Schnack :)

It's a nice way of speaking German, and really funny to listen to.
I also like the way the old Berliners speak.

English is a real mixture with the influences of Latin, the old French language and the Anglo-Saxonian language.

I can't bear to see one of the funniest threads in a while fall of the front page, and since it's already off topic enough, sue me if you will but...

hey Vincent - I'm going to Munich this weekend. Any recommendations for what to see and where to drink?

Varitek said:
Recommendations? :)

I went in 1985 at the age of 16. I cannot help you. I do remember topless sun bathers at the olympic park.

martha said:
Toplessness is offensive. Tits are involved. :yikes:

oooooooohhhh!!! Teacher said tits!!! :shocked: :ohmy:

I'm highly shocked and completely offended by your shocking offensiveness :tsk: :drool:

Varitek said:
I can't bear to see one of the funniest threads in a while fall of the front page, and since it's already off topic enough, sue me if you will but...

hey Vincent - I'm going to Munich this weekend. Any recommendations for what to see and where to drink?

I've never been to Munich, but the Viktualienmarkt and the English gardens should be nice.

I don't know if it's nice in the Paulaner beergarden at the moment, but you could go to the Hofbräuhaus.

I don't have any insider information, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom