i'm offended and i demand an apology

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had the tart vs. pie debate with my Australian officemate a couple of weeks ago. Usually about this time of year we have the "what the hell is wrong with Americans they put pumpkin in pies" debate. She of course refuses to even try pumpkin pie even though she's lived here for, what, 30 years now and only calls herself Australian when it benefits her argument. :mad: I love her anyway, though. :wink:

This thread is awfully Lemonade Standy. :angry:

redhotswami said:
Pecan pie :drool:
:drool: Have you ever had it made with real sugarcane syrup? That's what most of the older folks used to use in it back where I grew up. Now there's only one small place left, in Louisiana, that makes it, and you have to mail order to get it. It's so much less cloying and heavy than corn syrup. Appalachian apple stack cake is another Southern favorite of mine.

My mother's contribution to potlucks and funeral suppers was always her cardamom-rosewater baklava, which people always approached gingerly and with with a deeply suspicious expression, as if they were being offered roast possum. There were always a few people who tried it though, just to be polite, and then they'd be instant converts, but they usually couldn't convince anyone else. After about two decades living in the South, my mother wised up and started presenting it as a "special nut cobbler we serve for tea back in Greece," which had the desired effect--now whenever I go back home for a visit, someone always starts reminiscing about "Sarika's delicious nut cobbler" and asks me if I have the recipe. :lol:

I'm pretty sure meat pies were actually once fairly common in the US, especially in New England--not sure what happened to change that, though. Apple pie was, of course, a classic English dessert long before it became a national favorite here.

http://www.steensyrup.com/
http://www.steensyrup.com/recipes260.html

They're in Abbeville, which is a little ways south of Lafayette. I've never tried the recipe on their website, but hmmm, maybe I will now that I've noticed it. They combine it with a only a very small amount of ordinary white sugar, which is interesting--I don't actually use a recipe, but what I've always done is combine it with a good-quality dark-brown sugar, like muscavado or turbinado...like other less-refined sweeteners, it has smoky-bitter undertones that can be overwhelming if used alone. 1 cup brown sugar and 2/3 cup cane syrup should be about right, I think, if you want to try the brown sugar route. Not sure what the cornstarch and flour are for--I've never needed that, but then I only boil the syrup about a minute, I toss a couple tablespoons of rum into it, plus I beat in one more egg than they do afterwards, so maybe that's got something to do with it? Also I use, like, double that amount of chopped pecans! Well anyhow, I'm just rambling now lol.

It's great in gingerbread too...

this thread...

did not have the desired result.

i'm capable enough to understand what belongs here or what belongs at lemonade stand. i DO have the capacity...

so in other words, enough with the pie.

on with being outraged at the lack of political correctedness in our society. or the fact there's too much. or the fact that you agree there's too much and little of it all at the same time.

won't someone please think of the children?

Zoomerang96 said:
on with being outraged at the lack of political correctedness in our society. or the fact there's too much. or the fact that you agree there's too much and little of it all at the same time.

happy holidays! :wave:

Zoomerang96 said:
this thread...

did not have the desired result.

i'm capable enough to understand what belongs here or what belongs at lemonade stand. i DO have the capacity...

so in other words, enough with the pie.

How DARE you interrupt the pie discussion??? I'm offended.

I'm cake or pie, but I lean toward pie. Particularly pecan & sweet potato...have a sweet potato pie & you'll forget pumpkin for sure.

And as for meat pies, there's Jamaican meat pies but I think some call them patties...

Zoomerang, meet you out the front of my local government offices tomorrow! We're gonna picket these bastards till New Years, as part of our ongoing rearguard action in the continuing War on Christmas (TM).

I've even got two ill-fitting t-shirts for the both of us... 'Put The Christ back in Xmas!'

Here we call them stupid apastrophes because the German language rarely uses apostrophes, but with the increasing influence of the English language people use the apostrophe for German words in the craziest ways.

Som are thinking every word that ends with S has to have an apostrophe before.

I sincerely demand apology from the English language!

martha said:
Indeed. People who leave apostrophe's out of New Year's are annoyin'g.

No,no,no.........you do not put a apostrophe anywhere on New Years Day due to the fact no-one "owns" New Years Day.............:hmm: but having said that if i were to "invite" you to "my" New Years party I just may place the apostrophe AFTER the "s" like so...... New Years' Day , I would not place it BEFORE the "s" due to the fact that the evening would belong to "all" that attends not just "me" who will host it!

fly so high! said:

No,no,no.........you do not put a apostrophe anywhere on New Years Day due to the fact no-one "owns" New Years Day.............:hmm: but having said that if i were to "invite" you to "my" New Years party I just may place the apostrophe AFTER the "s" like so...... New Years' Day , I would not place it BEFORE the "s" due to the fact that the evening would belong to "all" that attends not just "me" who will host it!

the "day" belongs to the "New Year."

we're only talking about one year. it is not a plural.

Alright, with apologies to Zoomerang69, I am going to put this pie/tart debate to rest once and for all. The only difference is the pan you use to bake it in. Tarts are made in tart pans and pies are made in pie pans. They look slightly different but the contents are quite similar.

And who says we don't have meat pies in America? True, savory pies are not as abundant here as in Australia but we do have them. Martha, what about Shepherd's Pie or Chicken Pot Pie?

I'm goutraged, guys.

Vincent Vega said:
Here we call them stupid apastrophes because the German language rarely uses apostrophes, but with the increasing influence of the English language people use the apostrophe for German words in the craziest ways.

Som are thinking every word that ends with S has to have an apostrophe before.

I sincerely demand apology from the English language!

I'm studyin in a german speaking country for the semester and I have to say, you People and your Capitalization of every Noun are killing me and my Quiz Grades. Also your damn Genders, I mean for the Words they are OK if harder than spanish because the end of the words usually don't tell you their gender. But saying "she is clean" to refer to a damn fork (or whichever one of the utensils is die, never can remember...) is just dumb.

So yeah, apologize yourself.

My boyfriend thanks this thread for educating him about the beauties of the meat cake. If I ever marry him, I sincerely unthank this thread for forcing a meat cake upon my wedding.

Varitek said:
My boyfriend thanks this thread for educating him about the beauties of the meat cake. If I ever marry him, I sincerely unthank this thread for forcing a meat cake upon my wedding.
He wasn't put off by the fact that it entered the thread via the "Black Widow Bakery" website? :wink:
redhotswami said:
btw, there is such a thing as meat cake :yuck: http://www.blackwidowbakery.com/demo/meatcake/

Varitek said:

I'm studyin in a german speaking country for the semester and I have to say, you People and your Capitalization of every Noun are killing me and my Quiz Grades. Also your damn Genders, I mean for the Words they are OK if harder than spanish because the end of the words usually don't tell you their gender. But saying "she is clean" to refer to a damn fork (or whichever one of the utensils is die, never can remember...) is just dumb.

So yeah, apologize yourself.

Sorry!

German really isn't the easiest language, especially through the genders.
But don't worry, even the Germans are confused at times which gender to use.
There's also a saying: Deutsche Sprache, schwere Sprache, German language, difficult language, but you aren't really allowed to say it because some deem it racist.

With the capitalization of nouns also is an advantage of other languages that doesn't have it. It makes it just easier, faster to write on a keyboard, and I think is as useful.
But we are used to use the capital letters and nouns, and so the last reform didn't change it.
It even made it more difficult, because now there are more cases where you have to use capital letters in verbs and adjectives.

I think, with the grammar German is one of the hardest European languages. But I can't say too much about eastern European languages.

So don't worry too much about genders, we will understand you :wink:

Back
Top Bottom