im guessing that.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popmart86

Acrobat
U2Feedback is mostly liberal/democratic. are there any conservative/republicans here. it's ironic cuz U2 seem to be mostly on Bush's side praising him and all.

:scratch:

I am a Democrat conservative. ( Lot's of my views are not shared here, shhh.):wink:

popmart86 said:
it's ironic cuz U2 seem to be mostly on Bush's side praising him and all.

I would love to see some examples of U2 praising Bush. Bono does talk positively about Bush's efforts whenever he has mentioned him, but I would argue that is more Bono trying to catch more bees with honey for his own efforts for relief, than any real admiration of Bush.

I would argue that Edge especially has made his discomfort with the merging of politics and U2 known - especially in relation to Bush.

I don't really know what I am. I'm not really a centrist because on each issue, I tend to lean pretty far right OR left, but the problem is they kind of balance out. I suppose I'd be slightly right of center, but for the most part I prefer our current Democratic leaders/politicians over the Republicans. Locally, I vote straight ticket Republican, mainly because they are people I know or have family connections to, but I don't support Pres. Bush.

popmart86 said:
U2Feedback is mostly liberal/democratic. are there any conservative/republicans here. it's ironic cuz U2 seem to be mostly on Bush's side praising him and all.

i don't think that's necessarily true.

many, many U2 fans are devoutly religious, which often translates into being socially/personally conservative, as well as an understandable impulse to speak up for/defend the Religious Right.

i do think that the majority of U2 fans are straight, white, Christian, and reasonably well off, and that hardly translates to true Leftist ideology and thought which is pretty absent on this board.

U2 sees themselves as artists, and it's a rare artist who would express any sort of nationalistic or homophobic or racist sort of thougth that's often associated with the Far Right.

also, i think you're incorrect about where U2 stands on Bush.

Bono has said that he will work with anybody, and he has gone out of his way to praise the administration for their work funding AIDS programs in Africa, however, when it comes to virtually all other issues, i'm quite certain all of U2 are in direct disagreement with Bush (and i think Edge has had some rather disdainful quotes about Bush, but i'd have to look those up).

I'm a practicing Catholic who is into devotion to Mary and the saints, particularly St. Jude, who I credit with interveninig on my behalf several times. This is considered conservative in the Catholic Church. I'm liberal on most political and social issues, including gay marriage (I support it). So I don't fit into any neat little ideological box.

Most people I meet everyday consider me ultra-liberal or far left, but as an anarchist, I am against the state, and I am very concerned about so-called leftist regimes like China, Cuba, et al. I have some things in common with my conservative friends.

Also, unlike liberals and Bono, I hate the Clintons. U2 played the Clinton library opening; Clinton wrote a preface to the U2 photo book; I think Bono is even cozier with the Clintons than with Bush, and he's had the former leader of Russia over for dinner.

Back in the War/UF/JT days, the band was clearly left and anti-war, where many of their statements these days ar much more ambiguous.

I agree that Edge is likely left of Bono today; he even endorsed Kerry, and Kerry attended their recent Boston show to some fanfare, and the Democrats played "Beautiful Day" at their 2004 convention.

Anu

popmart86 said:

Oh the young and naive...

Don't they just make you warm and fuzzy inside?

To be fair, we've done a number of political compass threads - all of which tend towards the liberal/democrat side of things.

But the majority of regular members are not here to trumpet a single viewpoint necessarily. We do engage in vigorous, and sometime contentious, discussions over many issues.

I remember the only other post I made in here was asking the same question the thread-maker asked. Ironic that the 2nd post is on the same subject. :lol:

I agree with nbcrusader, that most of what I read around here seems to be pretty intelligent and well-thought debates with people on both sides. and in general it's hard to pick a "side" that the forum leans to but...

I do though agree that sometimes I shy away from this board because there seems to be a true despise of anything that bares a Republican/Bush stamp of approval. (since I am a R. from CA and voted for Bush too) I have noticed as well that when I actually do venture into this section of Interference there are usually an abundance of threads about a White, Republican, Christian doing something bad that most people on this board have an easy time mocking and yelling about. Kinda intimidating, since I am each of those things. Plus quotes like this "U2 sees themselves as artists, and it's a rare artist who would express any sort of nationalistic or homophobic or racist sort of thougth that's often associated with the Far Right" turn me off to posting here. I realize that alot of cases dealing with that subject matter can be attributed to the white rich republican but I hate that we seem to be the one's to which the entire practice is always blamed for. I thought everyone on both sides of the political spectrum can be nationalistic/homophobic/racist, but when I hear that people have this type of view on a group I fall under (the 3 characteristics mentioned earlier) I end up going to browse another forum because this one often gives me the idea that I should be ashamed of being a conservative/republican. :(

popmart86 said:

So, you consider the current day US Republican party to be conservative?

Interesting point of view.

catlhere said:
...that I should be ashamed of being a conservative/republican. :(

Again, I'd direct the same question at yourself.

I cannot see the expansion of government powers and bureacracy, expansion in the deficit and interventionist foreign policy of the present day Republican party as deriving from a conservative thought process.

financeguy said:

Again, I'd direct the same question at yourself.

I cannot see the expansion of government powers and bureacracy, expansion in the deficit and interventionist foreign policy of the present day Republican party as deriving from a conservative thought process.
Well that is a good point but my comment wasn't only about people disliking Bush or his administration, it was kind of a broader idea that I sometimes get overwhelmed with the dislike and criticism on this board of the type of people usually associated with conservatism i.e. White/Republican/Christians. I know that nobody HATES any of that group (and if they did, they would be no better than the picture they paint them to be) but I definitely have a hard time posting because I can just feel an angry/spiteful attitude about those 3 characteristics that I also happen to fall under :reject:. On the other side, I don't usually see many threads about some Liberal/Democrat doing something bad for the country, or being a despicable human being. I'm sure there are some, but I'm just going on my observations over the past couple of months of reading this forum and lurking around. I'm sure it's mostly because the Republicans are in power so there is more of an accountability towards them when things go wrong, and maybe there will be an abundance of threads about another party when they come into office in the future.

catlhere said:
I'm sure it's mostly because the Republicans are in power so there is more of an accountability towards them when things go wrong, and maybe there will be an abundance of threads about another party when they come into office in the future.

Well yes, that is part of the reason.

Re: Re: im guessing that.....

Irvine511 said:

i don't think that's necessarily true.

many, many U2 fans are devoutly religious, which often translates into being socially/personally conservative, as well as an understandable impulse to speak up for/defend the Religious Right.

i do think that the majority of U2 fans are straight, white, Christian, and reasonably well off, and that hardly translates to true Leftist ideology and thought which is pretty absent on this board.

Why do people keep saying this, and where do you all get it from? Unless a survey has been done on what constitutes a U2 fan then this is pointless whaffle. It would be akin to me saying that only Americans give a rat's arse about a band's political or religious belief and the rest of the world are just here for the music, which of course would be heartily disagreed with and somehow deemed offensive.

I tend to hang out at the left side of the spectrum, and have extreme difficulty seeing anyone who is not at my side as someone other than a radical Right-winger.

I have been told that Bush and Harper are fairly central/central right, but in my eyes they are extremem right.

I am working on this.

As well, I am working poor, and a lesbian.

You got one part right - I am white.

I would say that if you threw the current FYM posters into a blender and molded the result into one person, that person would be a somewhat left leaning centrist.

indra said:
I would say that if you threw the current FYM posters into a blender and molded the result into one person, that person would be a somewhat left leaning centrist.

You forgot "very attractive" and "half drunk most nights".

Re: Re: im guessing that.....

Irvine511 said:

I fall only in the first two categories Irvine,and I lean very left :giggle:

You're right Popmart86, U2 are DOWN with Bush and the conservative movement! I don't know why, it's really confusing, but at the same time it all makes perfect sense! All I know is that it warms my heart to know that I can play HTDAAB backwards anytime if I want to learn of the next election campaign strategy!

Thank you, you've been a terrible audience!

Back
Top Bottom