I'm ashamed...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
... that this forum has some seriously ignorant posts/threads. Can some of you PLEASE go out and READ (non-fiction please).

Do we need to have sort of certification that people must achieve prior to posting in here? lol.

Now I know why I rarely actually get involved in my own forums.

I had a long list of nonfiction books on globalization (evils of), the environment, politics, etc., that I was going to post but now I think everybody should just chill out and go read "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again" by David Foster Wallace. It's nonfiction. It's hilarious. And DFW is an amazing person. Read him.

Elvis, I know how you feel.. It's a fight.. Fighting back the Frontiers of Ignorance, it's a tough fight.. a never ending one, but a necessary fight.

L.Unplugged

Last edited:
I actually want to revise my statements above...

Sometimes I'm seriously ashamed to be human. It's not just this forum, I think it's a problem with the majority of human kind.

Elvis said:

Sometimes I'm seriously ashamed to be human. It's not just this forum, I think it's a problem with the majority of human kind.

I understand how you feel, Elvis, however, when you get in those moods, think of the great people in our world, both past and present. People like Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, Mother Theresa, Martin Luther King, Jr., Abraham Lincoln, Jesus, etc. Then think of far less famous people, like the person who let you cut in line at a supermarket, or one who gave you a quarter for the parking meter when you couldn't find one - these are the people that make this earth a wonderful place. :yes:

joyfulgirl said:
everybody should just chill out and go read "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again" by David Foster Wallace. It's nonfiction. It's hilarious. And DFW is an amazing person. Read him.

joyfulgirl, you should go read this short story* by DFW. It's amazing. I read it while riding in a bus in Honduras, and I thought I was going to hurl from the way the driver was taking the twising mountain road we were on, but I still couldn't stop reading. It's the first thing of Wallace's that I read, and I had never read anything like it before. Really good stuff.

*don't miss the link at the bottom of the page to take you to the rest of the story. A friend of mine read that first page, and didn't realize for 3 years that there was more to the story. :lol:

Spiral_Staircase said:

joyfulgirl, you should go read this short story* by DFW. It's amazing. I read it while riding in a bus in Honduras, and I thought I was going to hurl from the way the driver was taking the twising mountain road we were on, but I still couldn't stop reading. It's the first thing of Wallace's that I read, and I had never read anything like it before. Really good stuff.

*don't miss the link at the bottom of the page to take you to the rest of the story. A friend of mine read that first page, and didn't realize for 3 years that there was more to the story. :lol:

Thank you, Spiral--I just printed it out and I can't wait to read it! I'm such a DFW junkie. I just read one on a flight to Chicago over the weekend in the latest Conjunctions, as a matter of fact, called "Good Old Neon." I just checked the website, though, and it's not available online, but check it out if you get a chance.

He is probably my favorite contemporary writer. I met him once at a reading and he is soooo nice and shy and kind of endearingly awkward. He's also a bit of a genius, I think.

I also recommend "Brief Interviews with Hideous Men" (some brilliant, sick stuff in there though some say lacking in heart) and "Girl with Curious Hair." I am soon to tackle his 900 page tome "Infinite Jest".

david_foster_wallace.jpg

wallace_davidfoster.jpg

Last edited:
Elvis said:

*cough* check out my sig....sad but oh so true

Elvis said:

Oh God, I agree with you 100%. And i've felt that way just about every day , for most of my life...

Now you know why I love animals so much!:yes: :heart:

Last edited:
doctorwho said:

I understand how you feel, Elvis, however, when you get in those moods, think of the great people in our world, both past and present. People like Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, Mother Theresa, Martin Luther King, Jr., Abraham Lincoln, Jesus, etc. Then think of far less famous people, like the person who let you cut in line at a supermarket, or one who gave you a quarter for the parking meter when you couldn't find one - these are the people that make this earth a wonderful place. :yes:

Of course, this is also very true! :heart:

GET IN THE SPIRIT! All these people ashamed of being human.. Hahaha..

Come on guys.. let's help those ashamed few out by thinking of some animal alternatives.. I've already suggested a sugar glider, though I think a Euglena or Zebra Finch might be just as good.

Hunka Hunka Burnin' Love,
L.Unplugged

Last edited:
Elvis said:
... that this forum has some seriously ignorant posts/threads. Can some of you PLEASE go out and READ (non-fiction please).

Do we need to have sort of certification that people must achieve prior to posting in here? lol.

Now I know why I rarely actually get involved in my own forums.

:up:

This place needs to change, is NOT free your mind, this place where tolerance should be the most important value, has been kiddnaped by the most intolerant people, who bash anyone that don't share their conservative ideas, I guess a forum like this sometimes is not worth the personal atacks, and that is why , some people for which I have the most respect for their ideas and commitments don't post any longer here, about me, I just feel useless the arguments when people actually don't listen.

:(

I dunno...I think this place is kind of fun, in a masochistic way. :p

Melon

Raf is right

I feel its become something of an Old Boys Club.
Disagreeing with someone because of their opinions is fine. Even strongly disagreeing. But attacking someone and making fun of them for it will just ignite fury, and dont be surprised if the person you picked on lashes back at you.
I'm always ready to resolve any disagreements I've ever had with anybody on here, but some of you just dont want peace.
You seem to prefer war. Sick.
And very sad.... :(

Last edited:
Re: Re: I'm ashamed...

rafmed said:

This place needs to change, is NOT free your mind, this place where tolerance should be the most important value, has been kiddnaped by the most intolerant people, who bash anyone that don't share their conservative ideas

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh I almost fell out of my chair for you Rafmed!

It only works this way dosen't it? HA! Forget the fact that the conservatives are way outnumbered here, hence majority rules.

:sexywink: :sexywink:

Elvis said:

well said.

Elvis said:

Sometimes I'm seriously ashamed to be human.

Allow me to be the first to commemorate this Three Week Anniversary of This Quote.. A Statement only a mother could love...

I'm truly concerned for our Board Operator.. has anyone seen him lately?.. Is He still with us?... Has he morphed into an animal to hold true to his word?.. A Parakeet?.. Naah.. If you're going to become an overcommericialized pet store bird.. at least choose a cockatoo...

Take Care of Yourself,

L.Unplugged

Lemonite said:

Allow me to be the first to commemorate this Three Week Anniversary of This Quote.. A Statement only a mother could love...

I'm truly concerned for our Board Operator.. has anyone seen him lately?.. Is He still with us?... Has he morphed into an animal to hold true to his word?.. A Parakeet?.. Naah.. If you're going to become an overcommericialized pet store bird.. at least choose a cockatoo...

Take Care of Yourself,

L.Unplugged

Concerned? Awww thanks Lemonite.
But that's not gonna get me to change your status ;)
Sometimes I post, sometimes I don't.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom