Illegal to be gay? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2004, 11:21 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:11 PM
Illegal to be gay?

After watching the movie "Wilde" I was shocked to find out that at one time in some places it was actually ILLEGAL to be gay, and you could get 2 years in jail for it?? I'm not talking about what people think of homosexuality morally or in their own opinion, I mean, against the law? Jail? Is that true a person could be put away just for being gay? Wilde got 2 years in the movie and it ruined his health so he died young Was that true? I also heard it mentioned in the life of Rimbeau. When Prince Felix Yussoupov wrote his autobiography in France in the 1950's, the well know bisexual alluded to 'my secret life' and 'my double life' and said he didn't know what some people had against "a love affair of a special kind." But he never openly admitted to being gay or bi. I heard that in France in those days you could be sentenced to hard labor busting rock in the Great Pyrannes mountains for admitting gay relations. By that time he was in his 60's and didn't feel like risking it. So is/was it really against the law to even be gay?

Old 06-04-2004, 11:43 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:11 AM
I know that sodomy laws etc. were widespread for most of last century (I still can't get used to that) but too often such things just happened and people accepted it. One could look to the french quarter of New Orleans in the 50's and 60's as an example of that.

Old 06-04-2004, 11:47 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

So that's what was behind it. Did it happen in the US too? What happened in the French quarter?

So are these laws still on the books but not enforced?
Old 06-04-2004, 12:18 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

So are these laws still on the books but not enforced?
Many anti-homosexualtiy laws still exist throughout the world. Most such laws were not repealed in Europe until as recently as the 1960's and 1970's. In England, even in the so-called "swinging 60s", homosexualtiy was frequently the cause of blackmail, often with suicide as the result, rather than public exposure.
In Texas, it wasn't until 2002 that anti-homosexuality laws were overturned by the Supreme Court. There are still many places where it is illegal.
People were in the closet for very valid reasons.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:34 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks for the info biff! Yeah no wonder people stayed in the closet
Old 06-04-2004, 12:41 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:11 PM
I've had gay friends arrested and thrown in jail for having sex in public bathrooms. Regardless of the legality or inappropriateness of this behavior, it is highly unlikely that straight couples would be arrested in the same situation. They'd more likely get a wink wink and a "ok kids, go get a room."
Old 06-04-2004, 12:47 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

I heard of a straight couple arrested for having oral sex under a table at Denny's
Old 06-04-2004, 12:49 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:11 PM
Heck, yes, people were busted for being gay. Gays married for appearance's sakes, just to stop any sort of rumors or whatever from going around. If busted for gay sex, the penalties were quite severe, in the U.S. and Europe and other places.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:18 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
I heard of a straight couple arrested for having oral sex under a table at Denny's
Well that's a little different--it's a family restaurant. My friends were in a public, but empty, bathroom in a bar. There was no one there but the bartender and then the only person who stopped by for a beer that afternoon was a cop.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:00 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

I really don't think I'd like to walk in and find anybody, gay or straight, doing it I guess I'm like Tom Anderson in the old Beavis and Butthead shows, "get outa here boy, I don't wanna see that, pull yer damn pants up"
Old 06-04-2004, 07:18 PM   #11
War Child

Local Time: 11:11 PM
If certain religious conservatives (some in very high places) had their way, homosexuality WOULD be illegal. To them, freedom isn't for everyone in America, just those who live an approved lifestyle.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:21 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

I should tell you all that has happened to gay people over the centuries. But if I wrote it here, I'd make people sick.

But I'll give you one grotesque tidbit:

During the Papal Inquisition, people accused of engaging in homosexual acts were hung upside down and sawed in half, while still alive. For a "religious" organization, they were the greatest masters of torture since the Roman Empire.

Melon
Old 06-04-2004, 11:24 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I should tell you all that has happened to gay people over the centuries. But if I wrote it here, I'd make people sick.

But I'll give you one grotesque tidbit:

During the Papal Inquisition, people accused of engaging in homosexual acts were hung upside down and sawed in half, while still alive. For a "religious" organization, they were the greatest masters of torture since the Roman Empire.

Melon
Ugh. That's just...despicable.

How can people be so cruel when it comes to things like this? My god. Love shouldn't be illegal. Love is not a crime. Argh...

Angela
Old 06-04-2004, 11:59 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:11 AM
Hey, its still a crime all over the Islamic world, the abuses that continue today are not disimmilar to those of the middle ages there really should be more outcry.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:32 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Hey, its still a crime all over the Islamic world, the abuses that continue today are not disimmilar to those of the middle ages there really should be more outcry.
Yes there should be more outcry, and also for the way women ar treated. But nobody is allowed to say anything or you're non PC against Muslims remember?