Illegal Imigrants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Klaus

Refugee
on a one of these small green spots at that blue p
by BBC

US threatens mass expulsions
More than 13,000 Arab and Muslim men in the US are facing deportation after co-operating with post-11 September anti-terror measures, it has been revealed.

They are among 82,000 adult males who obeyed a government demand to register with the immigration service earlier this year, on the grounds they come from 25 mainly Muslim countries said to harbour terror groups.

Only 11 of those who registered, and of the tens of thousands more screened at airports and border crossings, have been found to have links with terrorism.

The vast bulk of those facing deportation proceedings were found to have lapses in their immigration status. By co-operating fully with the demand to register, many had hoped to be treated leniently.

But the immigration service - which faced a backlash after several of the 11 September hijackers were found to have been in the country illegally - says enforcement is now a top priority.

Correspondents say families in immigrant communities have already started packing up to leave the country, while others are simply going underground.

Mass arrests

Officials told the New York Times that more than 600 Arab and Muslim illegal immigrants were deported during the first wave of expulsions after 11 September.

If a loophole can be exploited by an immigrant, it can also be exploited by a terrorist
Jim Chaparro
Homeland Security department

US tackles net security

But the Department of Justice stopped releasing figures after the number of arrests reached 1,200, says the paper, and no complete statistics are now available.

Last year authorities launched a drive to track down those already served with deportation orders, in which more than 3,000 arrests were made.

But this third sweep for illegal immigrants seems set to produce the largest wave of deportations: 13,354 at the last count, compiled by American newspapers.

"There's been a major shift in our priorities," Jim Chaparro told the New York Times. He is acting director for interior enforcement at the Department of Homeland Security - which has now absorbed the old immigration service.

"We need to focus our enforcement efforts on the biggest threats. If a loophole can be exploited by an immigrant, it can also be exploited by a terrorist," he said.

'Good conscience'

But critics say the latest crackdown on immigrants is unfair and racist.

"People did register out of their good conscience, because they wanted to follow the rules, respect the law," said Fayiz Rahman of the American Muslim Council.

He says the policy is "targeted only toward Muslims.

"This is a major concern. They are planning to reduce the number of Muslims on American soil... discourage Muslim immigration, make our lives difficult."

Other critics say some of those awaiting deportation had only violated immigration rules due to a backlog in processing of applications by the government.

Added to the controversy is a report released by the Department of Justice on Monday, which found "significant problems" in the way many immigrants arrested after the 11 September attacks were treated.

Many were chained, physically and verbally abused, held without bail and denied access to lawyers, says the report, according to news agency AFP.

But immigration officials defend the clampdown on immigrants.

"We get criticised every day for not following through," said Bill Strassberger, spokesman for the Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

"We can't have a legitimate immigration system if we allow people to come and just do what they want. It's not fair to those who do comply with the rules."

About 82,000 men registered over five months, lots of illegal emigrants supported the government by registering in the fight against terror.
Do you think it's fair to throw them out (they violated the emmigraion rules) or do you think the Government should treat those illegal imigrants different?

Klaus

You know, if I lived abroad illegally, would I expect to be treated hospitably by that country? No, I would expect to be deported. I've been bitching about illegal immigration for years, and it should have been taken care of years ago.

If these people believe that going home will cause them harm, then legally apply for asylum. If not, legally apply for immigration or legally extend your visa. Otherwise, you have no excuse. Go home.

Melon

You can't let illegal immigration run unchecked for decade after decade and then single out one particular group for mass deportation. Yes, they are here illegally and they are breaking the law...but so are millions of other people in the US without proper papers.

in all fairness, i would like to add that if someone came to to the United States illegally due to the fact that staying in their own country any longer meant certain death or severe suffering ( from war, famine, etc), than i can understand why one would have to take a chance by breaking a country's law and entering it illegally. however, the vast majority of illegal aliens do not fit into this catagory. so i agree with you, Bono's American Wife. Why single out one group? perhaps some groups are indeed more likely to contain "terrorists", but every group can contain violent criminals .

Bono's American Wife said:
You can't let illegal immigration run unchecked for decade after decade and then single out one particular group for mass deportation. Yes, they are here illegally and they are breaking the law...but so are millions of other people in the US without proper papers.

Exactly.

And, personally, while I realize that these people are breaking the law by coming here illegally, I really don't think that the laws on them should be that tough-coming here illegally isn't the worst thing they could possibly do.

There's various factors that may play in the reasons why they come here illegally, we don't know what their problems are and why they couldn't come in legally. And like Fly for Freedom said, too, yeah, if they're escaping from a war-torn country or things like that, I wouldn't blame them for not bothering to mess around with the legal stuff. They just want out.

I dunno. That's just how I feel. :shrug:.

And you know, it's a good thing we didn't have measures like this when our ancestors came here from Europe, or else we'd all be speaking German or have Irish accents or whatnot now.

Angela

If they were really that desperate to get out of their war-torn country or whatever, they'd go to the nearest country they could, not one halfway around the world. I'm sick of illegal immigrants from, say, Afghanistan coming here to Australia. India's practically impossible to miss, and they have to go through Pakistan first to get to it!

I'm also sick of the illegal immigrants that come here rioting in the detention centres and burning them. They should be grateful that they have regular food, clean water, decent shelter, and freedom from persecution.

Axver said:
If they were really that desperate to get out of their war-torn country or whatever, they'd go to the nearest country they could, not one halfway around the world. I'm sick of illegal immigrants from, say, Afghanistan coming here to Australia. India's practically impossible to miss, and they have to go through Pakistan first to get to it!

That's true ... but if you were a refugee from Pakistan, wouldn't you want to get as far away as possible? Australia seems like a better choice than India ...

I too am sick of rioting in detention centres, but I really think the government should make more of an effort, particularly regarding the children. Besides, most of the illegal immigrants in Australia are British people who have overstayed their working visas, and no one cares about them. In relation to the US situation with the Arab immigrants, I think the governments need to take a look at what their motives are for wanting to deport these people - is it really because they are illegal (if so, then all those British people need to be forced to go home) or is it because they're seen as a threat?

Sorry to sidetrack, but as some people here know I cant let a good debate over Aussies and our refugees go without comment :D
There's 2 sides to our illegal immigrant problem. One thing is yes the government needs to stop the practice that goes on in SA detention centres without a doubt. The behaviours we read about every now and then as they flare up are a huge concern for the people who may have already been there up to 2 years without any indication of what will happen to them.
The other is the simple fact that a lot of them are in no position to claim asylum. Under the 1953 (?) definition set out by the UN as to what an illegal asylum seeker must meet before gaining that status is often simply not there in these cases. As a result we have centres filled with these people who cannot leave and cannot stay. We see riots and unbelievable cases of mistreatment by them to their children and the people working there.
What I dont get is why considering our appalling reputation of treatment of illegals, why they keep coming here. They know they will only be locked up and not allowed to live the lives they clearly hope for by coming here anyway.
The demand is clearly greater than what the current system allows and it sorely needs changing.

~*Buffalo*~ said:
That's true ... but if you were a refugee from Pakistan, wouldn't you want to get as far away as possible? Australia seems like a better choice than India ...

Exactly.

There's very few places in the Middle East that people could go to and actually be safe in, so I can totally understand their wanting to get away from that entire area of the world, period.

Originally posted by ~*Buffalo*~
Besides, most of the illegal immigrants in Australia are British people who have overstayed their working visas, and no one cares about them. In relation to the US situation with the Arab immigrants, I think the governments need to take a look at what their motives are for wanting to deport these people - is it really because they are illegal (if so, then all those British people need to be forced to go home) or is it because they're seen as a threat?

Exactly.

It's quite scary to think that racism could play a part in this whole deal. That's the horrible thing about all this.

Kinda like how, over here, the Canada-America border isn't that tightly guarded-most Canadians can come into America with little to no problems...and yet the Mexico-America border is guarded highly.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
It's quite scary to think that racism could play a part in this whole deal. That's the horrible thing about all this.

Enforcement of immigration laws is almost always followed by a charge of racism. It is part of the political dynamic of the issue.

I agree with Melon, the laws should be enforced. But we live in a culture where we love to cry "the law shouldn't apply to me".

Some also love to cry "they shouldn't apply here due to [insert extenuating circumstances]"

Everyone deserves the right to live as I (most of us) do. In countries where we are free and have choice and poverty is a result of unfortunate luck or more random circumstances.

I also think that laws should be enforced in gerneral, the only thing that worries me is that illegal emigrands supported the government this time to help to find enemies of the US. Next time they could think more about themself than about the country.

So imho of course they can't be treated like legal immigrants - but the government should treat them better than "normal" illegal immigrants.

Klaus

Sure, they should buy them a plane ticket back home and a pat on their back thanking them for the help.

well saudi arabia expelled indian jewellers not too logn ago...so it's a two way street.

Oh, this. We had a long discussion in my law class on this news, and I mentioned it in a report i did as well.

Not entirely shocking. I would have expected it as i've seen similar incidents before. it isn't going to benefit any of us though, i promise you. It won't help win the war on terrorism.

Last edited:
Axver said:

I know this is a few days old, but I'll comment anyway.

Actually most refugees do only go to countries bordering the one they are fleeing from. It's one of the reasons that Pakistan, for example, has a huge number of refugees. Countries in central Africa also have a lot of refugees due to the unstable situation in many countries in the region.

To hear Western European governments talk, you'd think all the world's refugees came to Western Europe, when in fact it's less than 2% of the total number of refugees.

Bono's American Wife said:
You can't let illegal immigration run unchecked for decade after decade and then single out one particular group for mass deportation.
true, I hate old saying such as "2 wrongs don't make a right", but they are often true

make sure your immigration rules are strict
and if you really feel you need to deport people then be a real tough guy and deport all of them instead of singling out people of a certain race

Back
Top Bottom