Illegal Aliens Murder 12 Americans Daily - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2007, 11:15 AM   #211
She's the One

Local Time: 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

The environment along many parts of the border is thrashed from the immigrants. I think the wall or fence would probably help.
I was thinking of migratory animals. Can you give some examples of how the immigrants have trashed it?

Old 10-06-2007, 11:28 AM   #212
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

So, in that spirit, what do you mean when say that closing the border is the first step? Are you talking about stopping ALL immigration between the U.S. and Mexico? Because halting legal immigration certainly wouldn't do anything to stem the tide of illegal immigration.
I am referring to illegal immigration.

Quote:
Or are you referring to building a wall? I think the effectiveness and appropriateness of such a measure can be debated without returning to the "you want an open border" nonsense.
I am referring to a wall, fence, drone planes...I don't think the American public will accept any form of amnesty and business enforcement unless the flood of illegal immigrants is stopped. Then I think the public would be more likely to discuss amnesty and a path to citizenship for those already here. I know I would be. Unless we stop the illegal immigrants at the border, most Conservatives will think it is just another 1986 smoke and mirrors legislation.

Quote:
And another question? Why do YOU think we can't get Congress and the President to do actually do these things?
This is a bit of a mystery. I am sure it has to do with the corruption of both parties (payoffs from those execs and private financiers that benefit the most from all of this...always follow the money...or power). It may also have to do with equating a fence to the Berlin Wall and INS to the Gestapo.

Quote:
I tend to think to think this debate is so heightened with emotion and aspersions (sometimes well founded, sometimes not) about the "true agenda" of the opposing side. I don't know that the answers are easy but I have a feeling people tend to oppose some of the ideas on immigration reform not on the merits of the ideas but on assumptions about the "real motives" and attitudes of those promoting the various reforms.
True, when I occasionally discuss this issue in Northern California, those that wanted to stop illegal immigration are often assumed to be some sort of racist.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:30 AM   #213
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:16 AM
Well, I have to admit my knowledge about the immigration problem from Central America via the Mexican border isn't deep enough to grasp the complexity entirely, and I'm sure such a long border is hard to be overseen on its whole (we can't do it here in Europe either, but als wouldn't ever plan on building walls again), so I can just express my view that I feel that a wall or fence is the worst possible thing a country can do to its neighbours and itself.

I would say that a wall/fence wouldn't be the answer to the problem as the people who organise the illegal immigration will find ways to get the people though anyways. Also the costs of building this wall surely could be invest in measures to tackle the problems your neighbour economies are struggling with, though it of course can't be done by the US itself, that's for sure.

Is there any reliable source on an estimate how much it would cost to secure the border that way. Such data for example would be helpful for a serious discussion, though my personal reluctance for accepting a wall would certainly remain. (Not any "think tank" or minutemen propaganda website or any other source with its own political agenda would be nice).
Old 10-06-2007, 11:33 AM   #214
She's the One

Quote:
True, when I occasionally discuss this issue in Northern California, those that wanted to stop illegal immigration are often assumed to be some sort of racist.
One must watch what one says if one doesn't like being called racist. Posting propaganda like the kind that started this thread, continually calling out "Mexicans" as the major problem (when one has been repeatedly reeminded that illegal immigrants are from many other countries) can make others suspect one's motives.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:35 AM   #215
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega
I can just express my view that I feel that a wall or fence is the worst possible thing a country can do to its neighbours and itself.
I really don't want to live in a country that has to build a wall to keep the poor out. There has to be a better solution.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:10 PM   #216
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:16 AM
A trench?
Old 10-06-2007, 12:43 PM   #217
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:16 AM
Quote:

Maybe it's the way you discussed it...
Old 10-06-2007, 01:53 PM   #218
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
A trench?
No, no, a MOAT! With a dragon!!
Old 10-06-2007, 01:55 PM   #219
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Do you have an actual suggestion other than a fence/wall?
Old 10-06-2007, 02:22 PM   #220
Blue Crack Addict

I don't believe a fence/wall is practicable for a border of that length (or that terrain). It may be useful to bridge some short spans (although this raises the question of whether you want the Berlin Wall in your backyard). I don't know that I'm particularly opposed to some sections of the wall, even if I do think it would be preferrable not to have one at all.

So if it's impractical in its entirety, then the question is what else can you do? I'm by no means an expert as to what kind of manpower would be necessary to patrol the areas and so on, but these are things that should all be looked at.

And if you want to close the border, then I would not support any of it unless you also, at the same time, repealed the laws which permit Cubans to be given exile once they land on your shores. Frankly, the double standard smacks of political expediency.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:57 PM   #221
ONE
love, blood, life

Ummm...I like your old avatar better Ani!

Fernando
Old 10-06-2007, 04:06 PM   #222
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:16 AM
Quote:

Do you have an actual suggestion other than a fence/wall?
Do you honestly think a wall across our entire southern border is feasible and/or the best solution?
Old 10-06-2007, 04:06 PM   #223
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

\

A big bug zapper

would be the most cost effective.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:46 PM   #224
Blue Crack Addict

I would like one day for some Native American tribe to stand up, pick a really nice piece of real estate and erect a big, fat wall around it, to prevent anyone else from coming in. Then maybe they can consider what to do with the 300 million already here.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:57 PM   #225
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:16 AM
Quote:
I would like one day for some Native American tribe to stand up, pick a really nice piece of real estate and erect a big, fat wall around it, to prevent anyone else from coming in. Then maybe they can consider what to do with the 300 million already here.