If Saddam was still in power...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

If Saddam was still in power...

• He would not be a threat to anyone.

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • He would only oppress those within his own country.

Votes: 27 56.3%
  • He would likely invade his neighbors in the Middle East. Not a threat outside the Mid-East though.

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • He would become a major threat to the United States and the free world.

Votes: 7 14.6%

• Total voters
It was in his plans to compete with Iran for WMDs. After his invasions in Iran and Kuwait, I don't believe it would be irrational to suggest that he would use them against Middle Eastern countries. I'm not so sure about the United States/Free World, but then again you never know.

FYI, I voted #2. Knowing what we know now, he was a deluded dictator commanding a nearly vanquished army with an inner circle that lied to him on a regular basis--including over whether they had WMDs. We left their government in tatters after 1991 to the point that he could only harm those within his own country.

Melon

I voted #3, I see that as a considerable possibility. I really don't know about #4, it seems like a worst-case scenerio.

I voted 4. I think he has always been a threat to the free world. I'm not necessarily saying the US is right for taking him out but I think at somepoint, someone whould have to have done it.

Saddam oppressed the hell out of his people, no question. He wanted to be some great pan-Arab leader but he couldn't pull it off. It was mostly delusional rhetoric. So #2.

# 2. He had a past of # 3, but no-one said 'no' until he went into Kuwait. Since then, aside from the usual insane dictator bluster, there was never a suggestion that # 3 would happen again. # 4 was never a possibility and I'd like the people who voted for it to explain why they think it was.

Back
Top Bottom