If not...why not? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2003, 09:08 PM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:34 PM
If not...why not?

So let me state right now it is NOT my intention to guilt trip anyone or provoke fights or anything. But I am curious, and that always gets the best of me.

So many people have gotten involved, because of Bono or not, in the effort to help Africa. We write letters. Donoate. Advocate. Demonstrate.

Have you? Do you want to?

My question really is directed at those who haven't but want to. The idea of dropping the debt is controversial and I respect that. Maybe you just disagree.

But if you don't disagree, I'm curious. Are you insanely busy? Don't think Bush is listening? The problem is too big? Other people are already doing a lot? Other?

So there's my curiousity. I hope I haven't offended anyone and look forward to some discussion.

SD

Old 01-13-2003, 09:13 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:34 PM
I don't have too many problems with having to pay slightly more in taxes to help drop the debt (though it seems that the development of African nations is hampered by crooked governments as much as by debt payments).

And I definitely don't have any problems with people and corporations richer than me paying slightly more in taxes to help drop the debt.

Old 01-13-2003, 09:43 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

I'm not sure if you're referring to DATA/Drop the Debt or Bono's Angels?

My main problem with DATA, for example, is that it provides convenient links for contacting senators/congressmen/the president, but as I am neither a citizen nor resident of the USA, it's sort of a moot point for me. I'm not going to write to a random senator pretending to be from their district. I'd like to see more options provided for people outside of the USA - the "What can you do?" section is not very globally-friendly, IMO.

I am interested in Bono's Angels; I just haven't had the time to go and really educate myself about what you guys are doing.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:34 PM   #4
New Yorker

Speedracer, yes corruption is a huge problem! That's why groups like DATA and Jubilee insist that the money is indeed used for schools, health, etc if the HIPC is to be eligible.

Anitram-- excellent point, and just the sort of thing DATA might not have thought of (though since it was founded by an Irishman, he sure should have!) Bono's Angels, my site, needs to improve on this front too. We're basically a letter-writing campaign. I just post the letters I've written, really, and being from the US, that's the perspective. Would any non-US Angel be willing to let me post his or her letter to make ourselves more global?

SD
Old 01-14-2003, 08:24 PM   #5
She's the One

Local Time: 01:34 PM
Re: If not...why not?

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling

Have you? Do you want to?

Are you insanely busy?

Other people are already doing a lot?

No.

No.

Yes.

Yes.

I give so much to my job that I barely have enough of myself left for myself and my husband. For instance, it's 5:20, and I'm still sitting in my classroom with about an hour's work left to be done. I'm posting here because this is the first real break I've gotten today. This is Martha time. I don't get much of it when school is in session.

So, yeah, I'd love to, but to be effective, the letters have to be from me, not what someone else has written, and I've just signed. Those who can commit are doing a great job. I devote my time to making sure the next waves of voters are compassionate, caring, involved individuals. That's all I can do, but it's a huge job.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:43 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I haven't done anything substantial yet... I've written letters and such, but I'm not a member of any organization. Yet. I think it's a huge problem and it's absurd that most people in the US could give a shit... I try and educate my friends. My prof in class today (the history of sub-saharan africa) said "You know, if we got together $15 billion dollars, the United States could get rid of global AIDS. The problem is that politicians are scared to start a movement in increasing foreign aid... They're afraid they won't get re-elected."
Old 01-14-2003, 09:10 PM   #7
New Yorker

Martha, you gave me teacher fuzzies. Amazing job, isn't it?

Kristie, thanks for writing! That's HUGE and exactly what we need more of. I'm happy to add you to the Angels for writing, if you like!

Thanks for indulging my curiosity, guys!

SD
Old 01-14-2003, 09:19 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:34 PM
I haven't done a damn thing. Here's why:

1. I literally don't have even $5 to spare; I'm trying to get established in my profession and don't make alot.
2. I will not write my congressman or president bush. the reason is I don't believe in politics at all. I don't believe it will make one bit of difference to write a letter.

I support the movement in spirit, and wish bono the best of luck.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:38 PM   #9
War Child

Local Time: 03:34 PM
well said jofo.
so shes taking lots of vitamins
cause she knows that
it be tragic
if those evil robots win
Old 01-15-2003, 01:45 AM   #10
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kristie
"You know, if we got together $15 billion dollars, the United States could get rid of global AIDS. The problem is that politicians are scared to start a movement in increasing foreign aid... They're afraid they won't get re-elected."

i'm sorry to say this, but i haven't donated, and i won't. i honestly don't think most of the politicians here care. i'm sure they already know. as others have said, i really don't think a stupid letter to my congressman or president will change a damn thing.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:51 AM   #11
New Yorker

Thanks for such honest replies! I'd like to submit this as food for thought: the politicos don't care...because they think we don't.

If we do, they will. Simple as that.

SD

PS I've donated a lot of time and energy, but I don't have a penny to spare either. I think that phone call or letter is much more valuable. Don't feel bad!
Old 01-15-2003, 08:39 PM   #12
She's the One

Local Time: 01:34 PM
Quote:
Martha, you gave me teacher fuzzies. Amazing job, isn't it?
Are...
you...
one of...

us?

Old 01-15-2003, 08:53 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

i'm sorry to say this, but i haven't donated, and i won't. i honestly don't think most of the politicians here care. i'm sure they already know. as others have said, i really don't think a stupid letter to my congressman or president will change a damn thing.
Having worked in my congressman's office when I was a young liberal............I can assure you that someone is reading the letters......and they do make a difference.

Peace
Old 01-15-2003, 09:06 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: If not...why not?

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

I give so much to my job that I barely have enough of myself left for myself and my husband. For instance, it's 5:20, and I'm still sitting in my classroom with about an hour's work left to be done. I'm posting here because this is the first real break I've gotten today. This is Martha time. I don't get much of it when school is in session.

It is 9:00 here. I just finished my report cards. I hate doing them as much as I hated getting them. My wife is sitting here correcting papers for her class. My kids have not been able to play with me for the past three nights as I have been working to get the cards done. In the meantime, someone called and made a comment about school being over at 3:30 and what a sweet job. Grrrrr.... 4:00 Pick up Kids
4:30 Give Baths
5:00 Cook
5:30 Dishes/make lunches
6:00 Read books with kids
6:30 Correct/Report Cards

Anyways......

I have written letters to Congressman Barney Frank, Senator Kennedy, Senetor Kerry, and President GW.

I am insanely busy.

I would like to do more.

I am actually interested in getting to Africa and teaching, there was a recent article about the fact that there are more teachers dying of aids than are entering the profession in some of the countries.

Peace
Old 01-15-2003, 10:01 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:34 PM
Quote:
Would any non-US Angel be willing to let me post his or her letter to make ourselves more global?

SD
Go ahead.