If not...why not? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 01-16-2003, 07:29 AM   #16
New Yorker
Local Time: 02:38 AM
Martha....I sure am.

Whenhiphop--thank you!!!. Could you post it here and I"ll add it to the Letters page?

Dreadsox-- good to hear from someone "in the know", thank you!

Old 01-16-2003, 02:51 PM   #17
She's the One
Local Time: 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Sherry Darling
Martha....I sure am.

I knew there was something about you that I liked!

But how are you managing an internship, too?

Old 01-16-2003, 07:05 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 08:38 AM
Sherry, its in your other thread, if Im not mistaken. I hope it suits your needs, if you need any adjustments, do tell.

Dear President Bush,

I was disappointed to hear the news of the postponement of your journey to Africa.

Like many European citizens who were excited about the potential for this trip, I heard the news with regret. As you know, millions of Africans, many of them children, will die of AIDS, starvation, or other preventable diseases.

Apart from that, I know that you personally, Mr. President, have the possibility to make great changes by influencing, adjusting and slightly redirecting the policies of the International Monetary Fund based on the Washington Consensus.

Another important contribution of the current U.S. administration could be setting and encouraging higher ethic and Christian standards in the pharmaceutical industry.

Dear President Bush, those issues are of great importance, and you have the power to give a whole continent some chances to survive. I want to encourage you to give the *emergency* currently devastating Africa the highest priority. It is in Africas humanitarian interests, it is in American and European long-term security interests, and it is the right thing to do.

Hoping to be hearing about concrete plans from your administration soon,

Old 01-16-2003, 07:18 PM   #19
New Yorker
Local Time: 02:38 AM
Martha-- I'm finishing my MA right now, and went back to school full time last semester. By far the biggest drawback if I make this career move from teaching to development work is...HOLY SHITE WILL I MISS MY STUDENTS!

Whenhiphop, that's perfect! What a great letter! I'll post it up right away! You're an

Old 01-16-2003, 08:35 PM   #20
The Fly
Local Time: 01:38 AM
Anitram, have you tried emailing DATA and suggesting that they make things more global? I agree that the site is mostly geared toward the US. I wonder if that's because they are focusing on the US at the moment to get the word out to us about Africa and all that's going on there.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:07 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:38 AM
I've done a little bit-sending letters from sites that I'm signed up with, and then last fall I did an informative speech on the crisis in Africa in my Advanced Speech class.

I feel bad for Bono when I hear that our government isn't doing more-Bono puts so much faith in these people and thinks they'll do something, and it just ticks me off when they don't follow through, they let him down. But I still write to them anyway, just to bug them-they need more people bugging them. Plus, there's always the very off chance that our government will actually do something-if not Bush himself helping out, maybe someone else in the White House will.

I'd like to do a lot more, and as time goes on, maybe I will. But this is a start.