If Not War, Then What????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sting has always been respectful to all posters here.
i cannot say that about others.

diamond

Well, it is impressive that so many of you marched, and support the protestors. I for one am proud to see so many people take democracy into their hands and use their voices.

I cannot say that I am proud to see my countries flag burning, and skulls drawn on it ect.....But, so be it. There were many respectful protesters there as well.

I am bumping this in the hopes that people can start to produce a viable alternative to the Iraq situation. The containment of the past 12 years has failed. The Iraqi people have sufffered because Saddam has directed foreign aid from the people who need it most, to his supporting cities/villages ect.

Let's see if FYMers can start by giving some examples of what to do if WAR is not the answer. The status QUO is not the answer either.

PEACE

Dreadsox:

well you know my old idea: Controll all the imports/exports to iraq, 100% by UN troops (US, European, ... with UN blue helmets)

Hussein has a kind of pseudo democracy in Iraq, so my second idea would be to give the oposition a chance at the next election campaign by a massive ammount of "blue helmets"

Third: not only Weapon Inspectors for the Iraq but also Humanitarian Inspectors.

This is of course not a "either or" but can be combined

Klaus

I truly don't that there is an alternative to war. I marched yesterday, mainly because I am against preemptive war or US unilateral atack. We signed the UN Charter and it prohibits any rogue action.
So other than Klaus' ideas, I think Bush has taken across the point of no return. He should have concentrated on Al Quaeda first.

Klaus said:
Dreadsox:

well you know my old idea: Controll all the imports/exports to iraq, 100% by UN troops (US, European, ... with UN blue helmets)

Hussein has a kind of pseudo democracy in Iraq, so my second idea would be to give the oposition a chance at the next election campaign by a massive ammount of "blue helmets"

Third: not only Weapon Inspectors for the Iraq but also Humanitarian Inspectors.

This is of course not a "either or" but can be combined

Klaus

Klaus,

I think you may have me on board for this idea.

We need:

#1 Cut Iraq's Black Market Exports of OIL
#2 UN Distribution of Humanitarian AID
#3 UN Inspectors with Access to Everything
#4 UN Peacekeepers making sure they all have a fair shake in the "elections".

SOunds so simple eh?

U2girl said:
Keep sanctions and inspectors in Iraq. International exchange of intelligence info to help them work effectively, if necessary, add military backup troops (sort of "peacekeeping" kind of troops) if they should be stopped.

That?s my opinion as well, that would help the inspections to be more reliable. I?m not sure, but I think I heard somewehre that Germany proposed something along those lines. I also think that UN leaders could come up with a way to block black market of weapons and oil. The most important thing should be helping Iraqi people to get food and medicine.

Last edited:
follower said:

That?s my opinion as well, that would help the inspections to be more reliable. I?m not sure, but I think I heard somewehre that Germany proposed something along those lines. I also think that UN leaders could come up with a way to block black market of weapons and oil. The most important thing should be helping Iraqi people to get food and medicine.

The Black Market issue is a HUGE one. It is one of the main failures of the containment policy.

As to helping to make sure that medical and other supplies get to the people, how do you do this without sending in a contingent of people to occupy Iraq?

I agree with you. The suffering needs to be alleviated. I just do not see how it can be without a UN occupation.

I really didn't want to start another new thread about Iraq, but did anyone see the 60min. (yes the last liberal news show) about the GAO's assessment about our troups readiness to withstand chemical & bio attack. It was chilling. basically 2 months ago the GAO said our equipment was insufficient in quantity and effectivenss, faulty, and no where near available in the numbers we need. Where improvements have been made only the first wave of soldiers have the new issues. The speakeer for the Pentagon says all has been fixed since then. Give me a break. I've first had knowledge of the speed of our beaurocratic military.
The report even states that 60% of gas masks have tears. This pisses me off and makes me so concerned for our men & women.

It also had a great report of Bowling for Columbian.

I wish I could find the article I read about one month ago....

It is something like 1 in 8 of our chemical suits is defective. Scarletwine, the suits are only good for 24 hours anyway. I hated wearing them in the heat of Alabama during training. I cannot immagine wearing them in Iraq in the summer.

Peace

Back
Top Bottom