If Kerry were elected what a nightmare our world would become..(nice article).. - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2004, 02:33 PM   #46
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by drivemytrabant
nui·sance n.
One that is inconvenient, annoying, or vexatious; a bother: Having to stand in line was a nuisance. The disruptive child was a nuisance to the class.

Forgive me if I never have and never will see terroists that way.
or how about this one...
Quote:
Main Entry: nui·sance
Pronunciation: 'nüs-&ns, 'nyüs-
Function: noun
Etymology: Anglo-French nusaunce, from Old French nuire to harm, from Latin nocEre
: something (as an act, object, or practice) that invades or interferes with another's rights or interests by being offensive, annoying, dangerous, obstructive, or unhealthful
[/B]
I think this definition would most definately fit how most Americans viewed terrorism before this "war" on it erupted.

Old 10-20-2004, 02:33 PM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:56 AM
strannix,
Quite simply if you equate terroists to cockroaches, they will always be among us.
I think we agree on that.

It just so happens that I do think Bush's approach to Kerry's approach will have the terrorists down to nuisance quicker and more effectively than Kerry's.

Or more aptly put, I appreciate Bush's approach in contrast to Kerry's more "sensitive" approach to fighting the War On Terror.

db9

Old 10-20-2004, 02:34 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Were it not for the fact that I strongly believe that Bush needs to be FIRED because this is the only way he’ll get it through his thick head how much he has damaged America,

and that there might be a couple of new Supreme Court Justice appointments during the next 4 years,

I would consider voting for Bush just so he could clean up his own damn mess (not that he could).
Old 10-20-2004, 02:35 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

Ms Joyful,

youre still beautiful.

db9
Old 10-20-2004, 02:36 PM   #50
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

... in contrast to Kerry's more "sensitive" approach to fighting the War On Terror.
Then maybe Bush should use "Macho Man" as his campaign song as he poses with his cowboy hat.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:40 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Then maybe Bush should use "Macho Man" as his campaign song as he poses with his cowboy hat.

For my friend, Mr.BVSS -

I am just a cowboy lonesome on the trail
A starry night, a campfire light
The coyote call, the howling winds wail
So I ride out to the old sundown

I am just a cowboy lonesome on the trail
Lord, I’m just thinking about a certain female
The nights we spent together riding on the range
Looking back it seems so strange

Roll me over and turn me around
Let me keep spinning till I hit the ground
Roll me over and let me go
Running free with the buffalo

I was took in texas I did not know her name
Lord, all these southern girls seem the same
Down below the border in a town in mexico
I got my job busting broncs for the rodeo

Roll me over and turn me around
Let me keep spinning till I hit the ground
Roll me over and let me go
Riding in the rodeo

Roll me over and set me free
The cowboy’s life is the life for me
Old 10-20-2004, 03:55 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Oh great, know this will get added to the Pleba-like Edwards thread....

hahaha i saw that pic yesterday. there are actually better kerry/edwards doctored photos out there i think i'll post them on the edwards thread right now!
Old 10-20-2004, 04:53 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:56 PM
All this talk of terrorism being a nuicance, that somehow we must make the world back as it was on September 10 2001 is quite disturbing. Yes we will probably never stop terrorism but to then take a defeatist stance and decide to put it to the side, as a nuisance, is self-delusion. You cannot declare a unilateral peace and expect it to be supported by your enemies - in their minds your are all worthy of death and shall be slaughtered by the millions. The stakes are too high for terrorism to be treated the same way as it was in the 1990's. You also cannot fight a more sensitive WoT, the only thing that your enemies will accept is force - case in point the attitude towards America after Somalia where the US showed it was a paper tiger that could not take any casualties. Basically the WoT is a global war with multiple fronts, integrated intelligence and millitary operations as well as a stronger law enforcement at home and to downgrade it because it is not the same as it was before 9/11 would be profoundly misguided.

Tell the man with his head being carved off that it is merely a nuicance, tell the mamed and bleeding victims of a suicide homocide bomb that it is a nuicance. You cannot make terrorism just a nuicance - treating terrorism as a nuicance is exactly the type of thinking that allowed 9/11 to happen and that goes for both the Clinton and Bush administrations
Old 10-20-2004, 05:58 PM   #54
Refugee

Local Time: 09:56 AM
Old 10-20-2004, 06:12 PM   #55
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
All this talk of terrorism being a nuicance, that somehow we must make the world back as it was on September 10 2001 is quite disturbing. Yes we will probably never stop terrorism but to then take a defeatist stance and decide to put it to the side, as a nuisance, is self-delusion. You cannot declare a unilateral peace and expect it to be supported by your enemies - in their minds your are all worthy of death and shall be slaughtered by the millions. The stakes are too high for terrorism to be treated the same way as it was in the 1990's. You also cannot fight a more sensitive WoT, the only thing that your enemies will accept is force - case in point the attitude towards America after Somalia where the US showed it was a paper tiger that could not take any casualties. Basically the WoT is a global war with multiple fronts, integrated intelligence and millitary operations as well as a stronger law enforcement at home and to downgrade it because it is not the same as it was before 9/11 would be profoundly misguided.

Tell the man with his head being carved off that it is merely a nuicance, tell the mamed and bleeding victims of a suicide homocide bomb that it is a nuicance. You cannot make terrorism just a nuicance - treating terrorism as a nuicance is exactly the type of thinking that allowed 9/11 to happen and that goes for both the Clinton and Bush administrations
So you want it like this for the rest of existance? You say you know it can't be stopped, yet you don't want it to be minimized to a minor hazzard. I don't see another choice. Your force over intellelect is what I find disturbing. You want to live in fear. If we follow the mentality we're in right now we'll just keep occupying until we piss enough people off and head towards WWIII. But maybe you can explain another option.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:21 PM   #56
Refugee

I dont want either of them, but Kerry seems just like a bitter old man, at least Bush has alot more excitement and enthusiasm.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:28 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

Force over intellect, I think not.

What I am saying is that you cannot just lob a few cruise missiles at a pharmaceutical factory after an attack and expect everything to be allright. You cannot just say that an attack is to small to warrant a response. They tried to play it safe in the '90's by not pissing people off, we appeased Arafat and didn't put the pressure on Bin Laden and look where that got us.

It is not ignorant to think that the best defence is a good offence, this is the business of saving lives and it requires eternal vigilance. Couple this with a program to reform the Arab world and bring liberty to diminish the hold of Islamism in the region and the magnitude threat will decrease.

The problem is definition, this is not really a war on terrorism it is a war on Islamism/Islamofascism. We are not going after ETA or the IRA we are going after Islamic Terror groups. Eliminating the support that they recieve by drasticaly improving the quality of life of Moslems is the only solution, to prevent another generation rallying to the cause. Liberty is the cure to despotism.

I do find it interesting the way that people dismiss millitary power as a stupid thing, as if only the most ignorant of leaders would use it when there are other softer tools at their disposal. As if those that do not hold peace at any price as their doctrine are somehow intellectually inferior to the enlightened individuals who sit sipping their lattes telling the rest of the world that they are not able to accept freedom, "liberty for me but not for thee" is the racism of low expectations - who can think that those brown men living in societies that treat their women worse than dogs can ever improve. Massive change is the only viable solution, the only other one would be to construct a total police state and exterminate all those who deviate from the non-threatening mould that the state desires from its citizens.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:59 PM   #58
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I don't think anyone is suggesting that our actions will be the same as the 90's but that we need to bring the world back to where the temperature was.

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer

Eliminating the support that they recieve by drasticaly improving the quality of life of Moslems is the only solution, to prevent another generation rallying to the cause. Liberty is the cure to despotism.
This part I'll agree with...This still won't ever eliminate terrorism. And I don't think we're on the right path to that now. You're definition doesn't stand up to what the rest of the world is presenting as the reason for this war and we'll never reach this goal by attacking through false definitions and reasoning.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:06 PM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

No way, the "temperature " of the 1990's was an abysmal failure - attemptimg to turn the heat down (so to speak) would be planting the seeds for an even greater attack. The actions may be different but if you go after terrorism in the same limp way you will fail, no matter what the specific deeds.

Liberty will not end terrorism any more than happiness will end nuclear bombs - what it will do is eliminate the vicious ideology of Islamism the same way that all totallitarian ideologys are buried when people can live free, safe and open lives.

As for Iraq its very obvious - Its all about the OIL!!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2004, 07:25 PM   #60
The Fly

The problem with Kerry is that he can say anything he wants. the fundamental problem is that the last 30 years of his career suggest alternate behavior to what he portrays now.