If Bush, Sr. Was Still in Power...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

If Bush, Sr. Was Still In Power...

• He would not be a threat to anyone.

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • He would only oppress those within his own country.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • He would likely invade his neighbors in the Middle East. Not a threat outside the Mid-East though.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • He would become a major threat to the United States and the free world.

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

melon

ONE love, blood, life
I couldn't resist. :sexywink:

Still...think about it and discuss, as appropriate.

Melon

Last edited:
He would not be a threat to anyone, except those who ruthlessly invade other countries with a Napoleonic mentality.

For those of you who voted "He would become a major threat to the United States and the free world.", please explain why.

Well if he was still in power he'd be overiding the 2 term limit and on the way to making himself a dictator.

Pretty easy if you ask me.

Kind of ironic - a lot of left-leaning posters on here have made comments about their dislike for the term limit in the past.

Macfistowannabe said:
Kind of ironic - a lot of left-leaning posters on here have made comments about their dislike for the term limit in the past.

I support term limits for the Presidency. FDR had a great run with 4 terms, but he's one of a kind. I think most other 4 term presidents would be a disaster.

Melon

This converstaion about extending the two term limit for Bush Sr is crazy talk. He didn't even push the second term. If it were abolished the president today would still be Bill Clinton.

Back on topic.

I think that if Bush Sr were still in power... he would be no threat to anyone. I think this because of the following differences to his son.

* He was an intellegent man who had a grasp of the issues.
* He knew the value of planning with allies & working within the framework of a global society.
* He was an experienced diplomat who knew how to resolve situations involving many parties successfully.
* He was reasonable.
* He was not a true neo-con.

timothius said:
* He was an intellgent man who had a grasp of the issues.
* He knew the value of planning with allies & working within the framework of a global society.
* He was an experienced diplomat who knew how to resolve situations involving many parties successfully.
* He was reasonable.
* He was not a true neo-con.

Compared to his son, yes, Bush, Sr. is all of these things. Compared to everyone else, I say this:

He lived in denial of an economic recession throughout his term. He, like most Republicans, construct a large foreign policy to deflect from their massive domestic policy failures. Honestly, looking at our Republican presidents, if we remove all foreign policy from consideration, what would we remember them by?

Melon

melon said:

Compared to his son, yes, Bush, Sr. is all of these things. Compared to everyone else, I say this:

He lived in denial of an economic recession throughout his term. He, like most Republicans, construct a large foreign policy to deflect from their massive domestic policy failures. Honestly, looking at our Republican presidents, if we remove all foreign policy from consideration, what would we remember them by?

Melon

Agreed. But considering we are in War I was focusing more on his foreign policy. While I don't think he was a good domestic president (not many are), I didn't think he was exactly terrible either. He was one of the most forgettable presidents in the past 50 years (along with Carter) merely because he was terribly devisive and kept things running as they were.

Bush Sr. was a heck of alot smarter than his kid is. I didn't like his domestic agenda, which is why I campaigned for Clinton in 1992. But getting Saddam out of Kuwait was a just war, I think that's when I started getting cracks in my formerly ironclad pacificism.

Back
Top Bottom