Idolotry of the Bible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pardon? I dont personally isolise anything/person/etc but Im not understanding the question. Is it possible to worship two pieces of cardboard and some rice paper?

Main Entry: idol·a·try
Pronunciation: -trE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -tries
Date: 13th century
1 : the worship of a physical object as a god
2 : immoderate attachment or devotion to something

beli said:
Pardon? I dont personally isolise anything/person/etc but Im not understanding the question. Is it possible to worship two pieces of cardboard and some rice paper?

Well I dunno, I know people that worship one piece of cardboard containing rolling papers....

The two definitions provided by Dread show two forms of idolatry:

1. Worship of the object. There are plenty of households that own a nice Bible that has never been opened. In these households the Bible is treated with reverence and respect, but never play a role in faith. There are plenty of items that fall into this catagory that are used by people who identify themselves as Christians.

2. Attachment or devotion. If it is devotion to the object, such as the belief that carrying a Bible provides protection, etc., I would say that points to idolatry.

If this is a suggestion that following the Words of the Bible closely is somehow idolatry, that would be interpreting Scripture to avoid following Scripture.

Dreadsox said:
Main Entry: idol·a·try
Pronunciation: -trE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -tries
Date: 13th century
1 : the worship of a physical object as a god
2 : immoderate attachment or devotion to something

I understand the words - English is my native language - just not the question.

Fuck it. Now I remember why I don't like FYM. Bye. Hopefully I won't forget again.

nbcrusader said:
If this is a suggestion that following the Words of the Bible closely is somehow idolatry, that would be interpreting Scripture to avoid following Scripture.

Can following the words be idolotry?

thacraic said:

Well I dunno, I know people that worship one piece of cardboard containing rolling papers....

people worship rolling papers?

they're kinda useless without something to put in them.

or maybe they're in short supply where you live?

beli said:
Fuck it. Now I remember why I don't like FYM. Bye. Hopefully I won't forget again.

no, beli, come back! you're one of the few people who says anything relevant here.

:heart:

I certainly don't think following Scripture closely is idolatry. But perhaps it's possible that people somehow don't get the whole picture of the Christian faith and limit themselves to the verbal aspect of it when that's *not* the whole experience? For example, they might not be able to spontaneously pray?

MrsSpringsteen said:
I think it's possible. One can idolize the Bible in an improper manner and context.

Any examples you can think of?

verte76 said:
I certainly don't think following Scripture closely is idolatry. But perhaps it's possible that people somehow don't get the whole picture of the Christian faith and limit themselves to the verbal aspect of it when that's *not* the whole experience? For example, they might not be able to spontaneously pray?

Can focusing on the scripture get in the way of focusing on God?

Dreadsox said:

Can following the words be idolotry?

Not if you follow all of them. The problem is that you have some that will follow a lot of them to a T. They don't lie, cheat, steal, they may even take OT law seriously and not cut their hair a certain way, they live a very clean life but then that's all. The rules have become their religion. They may even pray every day but it's because of habit instead of really coming to the Lord.

I know people like this. Like I said they can't quote you the Bible all day long, but that's where it stops.

Dreadsox said:

Can focusing on the scripture get in the way of focusing on God?

Perhaps. God is beyond verbal limitations, after all. Words *can* limit. Perhaps people are so wrapped up in the verbal expression that they forget that God is way beyond verbal expression. So yes, I can see how focusing on the scripture might get in the way of focusing on God because Scripture is not God Himself.

I know someone who replaced her alcohol addiction with the Bible without doing even the basic level of questioning why she drank to begin with. So while not drinking has certainly enabled her to run her daily affairs better, she just spouts off stuff from the Bible without any self-analysis.

I know many who use the Bible to place themselves above others, always trying to demonstrate how righteous they are and judging others, quoting the Bible to show another what a sinner they are rather than genuinely trying to connect with the person using Jesus' teachings of love and understanding.

But I don't know if either of those examples are truly idolatry or not.

nbcrusader said:

Or perhaps it is suggesting that following the letter of the word is inferior to following the spirit of the word.

Mildred said:

people worship rolling papers?

they're kinda useless without something to put in them.

or maybe they're in short supply where you live?

Er... um... it was a flippant remark.. I really didn't think it would lead into a discussion...

I wouldn't know honestly about the supply of substances that would be used to go in rolling papers... having said that, we did used to smoke rolled cigarettes. at any rate...

joyfulgirl said:

Or perhaps it is suggesting that following the letter of the word is inferior to following the spirit of the word.

I really was not suggesting anything. It was a topic in my religion class this week and I was not in class. I am not sure where it was going so I thought I would ask it here to see how people felt on the topic.

Your response here, is in some ways the way I was leaning however.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Yes I believe it is. I know some that can quote the Bible inside and out yet still don't know God.

Hiya BVS,

I am just catching up with you on every thread! LOL

I do agree it is possible as well so I see what you are saying. But I have no way of knowing if anyone knows the Lord. I can only know my own heart.

See ya!,

Carrie

joyfulgirl said:

I know many who use the Bible to place themselves above others, always trying to demonstrate how righteous they are and judging others, quoting the Bible to show another what a sinner they are rather than genuinely trying to connect with the person using Jesus' teachings of love and understanding.

I have been thinking about your post here. These lines spoke to me.

In a sense I feel that this was part of the Christ stories. There were so many it seems who at the time wrapped themselves in the law and scripture, yet Jesus appears to have come in direct contradiction to this behavior.

thacraic said:

Hiya BVS,

I am just catching up with you on every thread! LOL

I do agree it is possible as well so I see what you are saying. But I have no way of knowing if anyone knows the Lord. I can only know my own heart.

See ya!,

Carrie

When someone uses Bible versus to condemn you and tell you you're going to hell and never have you seen this person love his neighbor, then I would say it's safe to say. But you're right only God knows.

Back
Top Bottom