Idolotry of the Bible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dreadsox said:
Can focusing on the scripture get in the way of focusing on God?

Actually, yes. But that is a good thing when your focusing on God leads you to creating your own vision or notions of God. And it protects you when someone is trying to paint their own vision of God, even a really, really good sounding vision of God.

joyfulgirl said:
Or perhaps it is suggesting that following the letter of the word is inferior to following the spirit of the word.

Not when you are picking and choosing which spirit of the Word to follow.

Dreadsox said:
In a sense I feel that this was part of the Christ stories. There were so many it seems who at the time wrapped themselves in the law and scripture, yet Jesus appears to have come in direct contradiction to this behavior.

Christ came in direct contradition to those who would use the law to condemn others, and falsely portray their own righteousness. He did not say the Law was bad, He said the hypocrisy was bad.

So often, I hear people quote Jesus saying "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."

But they forget Jesus' parting words: "Go now and leave your life of sin."

nbcrusader said:

Not when you are picking and choosing which spirit of the Word to follow.

because we all know nobody picks and chooses which passages of the bible to follow and which to ignore.

nbcrusader said:
Is the suggestion that we all pick and choose, so no one command can be "held against" another person?

No the suggestion is not that at all.

The suggestion is that we selectively have shosen the bits and pieces we identify with. We focus on those and ignore others. WE have different denominations that look at the same things and come to different conclusions. We have a book that at times NO LONGER means what the original author intended because the cultural meanings and the influence of them are lost upon us because of our own cultural biases, as well as translations of the text in which words that meant one thing thousands of years ago, are interpreted to mean something different today.

I am suggesting, that when we think we are righteous and sole owners of the truth because of these things, we are missing a key part.

What was the SPIRIT of the original message?

Dreadsox said:

The suggestion is that we selectively have shosen the bits and pieces we identify with. We focus on those and ignore others. WE have different denominations that look at the same things and come to different conclusions. We have a book that at times NO LONGER means what the original author intended because the cultural meanings and the influence of them are lost upon us because of our own cultural biases, as well as translations of the text in which words that meant one thing thousands of years ago, are interpreted to mean something different today.

I am suggesting, that when we think we are righteous and sole owners of the truth because of these things, we are missing a key part.

No one person is the sole owner of the Truth, as I believe in a very general sense, we look to Scripture as the sole source of Truth.

Our discussions are to understand why we come to different conclusions to the passages. Some may say the language no longer means what it say, or that the directions were purely for cultural purposes that no longer apply. These underlying premises affect our conclusions.

The SPIRIT of the original message? Some may say that it is all about looking after the poor, helping others, etc. A wonderful message definitely worth following, but one that doesn't need a God or a Savior.

I think there is a strong argument that the SPIRIT of the original message is that Jesus Christ, in fulfilling all the Messianic prophecies, is our sole source for salvation before God.

I would suggest that we not pick and choose, but strive for full understanding - whether or not we like what we are commanded. For me, salvation is by grace alone, through faith alone in Christ alone. And the response to such grace is that I extend grace to others in all aspects of my life.

I would agree, but IDOLOTRY of the Bible can get in the way of doing exactly what you are saying.

Definition #2 sums it up for me.

2 : immoderate attachment or devotion to something

I think that sometimes clinging to the words (immoderate attachment) searching to be more righteous than like Christ fits this.

I find that people who do this are not doing this:

[Q]I would suggest that we not pick and choose, but strive for full understanding - whether or not we like what we are commanded. For me, salvation is by grace alone, through faith alone in Christ alone. And the response to such grace is that I extend grace to others in all aspects of my life.[/Q]

Dreadsox said:
Definition #2 sums it up for me.

2 : immoderate attachment or devotion to something

I think that sometimes clinging to the words (immoderate attachment) searching to be more righteous than like Christ fits this.

How can we be more righteous than Christ-like? Christ is perfect righteousness. I don't think we can ever match that.

Bottom line, I know what you mean. People point out other's sins in an apparent attempt to overlook their own.

However, I think we can admit we all fall short of the glory of God and need each other to point out where we stumble.

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:

:yes: :up:

Dread, I would swear you were one of my classmates this semester. :wink:

nbcrusader said:

How can we be more righteous than Christ-like? Christ is perfect righteousness. I don't think we can ever match that.

I am not sure that I made sense.

I think people can forget to try to be like Christ when they are completely focused on the Bible thinking they are righteous becuase they live perfectly according to what the Bible says.

Please forgive me if my post did not make sense, it happens when I am in headache hell.

Interesting thread and a topic that I spent a lot of time thinking about when I was studying at L'Abri last year. Anyways, I was just reading an editorial that made me think of this thread and thought I would post a snippet.

from the Boston Globe ...Such ferocity of human arguments over God, whether in affirmation or denial, reflects a terrible forgetfulness. Religion is to God what the clock is to time. Religion participates in the mystery of what it represents but does not embody that mystery. Not even Christianity, with its self-understanding as a religion of the incarnate Word, does more than enshrine that Word in symbol and sacrament. Indeed, "Word" is the clue, since all religion, however infinite the object of its worship, remains bound by the finitude of language -- and language always falls short of its purpose. That truth applies to religion and science both. Words are to what they aim to express as the clock is to time. That is why silence, too, is a mode of worship. And it is why, also, the language of science always leaves room for what is not known.

Back
Top Bottom