Idolotry of the Bible - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2004, 03:56 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:58 PM
Bibliotheism I think.

Old 12-13-2004, 08:20 AM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Can focusing on the scripture get in the way of focusing on God?
Actually, yes. But that is a good thing when your focusing on God leads you to creating your own vision or notions of God. And it protects you when someone is trying to paint their own vision of God, even a really, really good sounding vision of God.

Old 12-13-2004, 08:22 AM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Or perhaps it is suggesting that following the letter of the word is inferior to following the spirit of the word.
Not when you are picking and choosing which spirit of the Word to follow.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:28 AM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
In a sense I feel that this was part of the Christ stories. There were so many it seems who at the time wrapped themselves in the law and scripture, yet Jesus appears to have come in direct contradiction to this behavior.
Christ came in direct contradition to those who would use the law to condemn others, and falsely portray their own righteousness. He did not say the Law was bad, He said the hypocrisy was bad.

So often, I hear people quote Jesus saying "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."

But they forget Jesus' parting words: "Go now and leave your life of sin."
Old 12-13-2004, 08:41 AM   #35
The Fly

Local Time: 02:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

because we all know nobody picks and chooses which passages of the bible to follow and which to ignore.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:52 AM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Your point being....?
Old 12-13-2004, 09:27 AM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:58 PM
It is all about picking and chosing.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:55 AM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Is the suggestion that we all pick and choose, so no one command can be "held against" another person?
Old 12-13-2004, 09:57 AM   #39
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

i have no idea what this means. could you explain more?

very curious.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:42 AM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Is the suggestion that we all pick and choose, so no one command can be "held against" another person?
No the suggestion is not that at all.

The suggestion is that we selectively have shosen the bits and pieces we identify with. We focus on those and ignore others. WE have different denominations that look at the same things and come to different conclusions. We have a book that at times NO LONGER means what the original author intended because the cultural meanings and the influence of them are lost upon us because of our own cultural biases, as well as translations of the text in which words that meant one thing thousands of years ago, are interpreted to mean something different today.

I am suggesting, that when we think we are righteous and sole owners of the truth because of these things, we are missing a key part.

What was the SPIRIT of the original message?
Old 12-13-2004, 11:10 AM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
No the suggestion is not that at all.

The suggestion is that we selectively have shosen the bits and pieces we identify with. We focus on those and ignore others. WE have different denominations that look at the same things and come to different conclusions. We have a book that at times NO LONGER means what the original author intended because the cultural meanings and the influence of them are lost upon us because of our own cultural biases, as well as translations of the text in which words that meant one thing thousands of years ago, are interpreted to mean something different today.

I am suggesting, that when we think we are righteous and sole owners of the truth because of these things, we are missing a key part.

What was the SPIRIT of the original message?
No one person is the sole owner of the Truth, as I believe in a very general sense, we look to Scripture as the sole source of Truth.

Our discussions are to understand why we come to different conclusions to the passages. Some may say the language no longer means what it say, or that the directions were purely for cultural purposes that no longer apply. These underlying premises affect our conclusions.

The SPIRIT of the original message? Some may say that it is all about looking after the poor, helping others, etc. A wonderful message definitely worth following, but one that doesn't need a God or a Savior.

I think there is a strong argument that the SPIRIT of the original message is that Jesus Christ, in fulfilling all the Messianic prophecies, is our sole source for salvation before God.

I would suggest that we not pick and choose, but strive for full understanding - whether or not we like what we are commanded. For me, salvation is by grace alone, through faith alone in Christ alone. And the response to such grace is that I extend grace to others in all aspects of my life.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:23 AM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

I would agree, but IDOLOTRY of the Bible can get in the way of doing exactly what you are saying.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:26 AM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I would agree, but IDOLOTRY of the Bible can get in the way of doing exactly what you are saying.
Perhaps you can explain what you mean by "IDOLOTRY of the Bible".
Old 12-13-2004, 12:13 PM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Definition #2 sums it up for me.

2 : immoderate attachment or devotion to something

I think that sometimes clinging to the words (immoderate attachment) searching to be more righteous than like Christ fits this.

I find that people who do this are not doing this:

[Q]I would suggest that we not pick and choose, but strive for full understanding - whether or not we like what we are commanded. For me, salvation is by grace alone, through faith alone in Christ alone. And the response to such grace is that I extend grace to others in all aspects of my life.[/Q]
Old 12-14-2004, 07:45 AM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Definition #2 sums it up for me.

2 : immoderate attachment or devotion to something

I think that sometimes clinging to the words (immoderate attachment) searching to be more righteous than like Christ fits this.
How can we be more righteous than Christ-like? Christ is perfect righteousness. I don't think we can ever match that.

Bottom line, I know what you mean. People point out other's sins in an apparent attempt to overlook their own.

However, I think we can admit we all fall short of the glory of God and need each other to point out where we stumble.