I wonder how the kids are doing - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2003, 07:26 PM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:57 AM
I wonder how the kids are doing

When I was a kid in the late 70's and early 80's I don't remember any stressful world situations like Iraq and 911 and stuff like that. This made me think today that if this type of stuff was happening when I was a kid I wonder how I would of reacted to it. Would I have just gone about all the fun things in life or because it's on tv all the time maybe I would have been really effected by it on a daily basis and consequently grown up to be a more jaded depressed person.

Do you folks think the affects of the last 2 years have a huge negative effect on the kids and teenagers or do you think they aren't really affected by it from a psychological standpoint ?

Old 09-02-2003, 07:53 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 04:57 PM
Well check out your parents or grandparents, whoever was the 'kid' generation during WWII.

Old 09-02-2003, 08:29 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:57 AM
Re: I wonder how the kids are doing

Quote:
Originally posted by EvolutionMonkey
When I was a kid in the late 70's and early 80's I don't remember any stressful world situations like Iraq and 911 and stuff like that.
Stress that I remember:

* Vietnam
* Iranian Hostages
* Oil Crisis
* Hijackings
* Bombing in Lebanon
* Cold War
* Accidental Passenger Planes Shot Down
* Lybia
* Syria
* Berlin Wall

I think there was stress.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:36 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

There's always been stress, but not as much media coverage of stressful events as there is now. I'm told that there was so little news of WWII that people in the States didn't know what was going on in Europe. In the '50's President Eisenhower had a heart attack. They were able to get away with telling the press that the President had the flu. Good grief! There's no way in hell they'd get away with that now. Dread did a good job of posting all of the stressful stuff that went down in the '70's and '80's.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:42 PM   #5
BAW
The Flower

I was a kid in the early/mid 70's and a teenager in the early 80's and it was fairly stressful with all the things dread mentioned...but I think verte makes a good point about the media coverage. The horrible things going on the world weren't crammed down our throats 24/7 like they are now...TV, radio and newspapers were the only real sources for news and as a kid, TV was really the only place I heard about all of these things.

I was actually more terrified of UFO's landing on earth than any real events going on the world at that time LOL!
Old 09-02-2003, 08:57 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Good grief, BAW, I'll be *really* careful about my UFO jokes around here. Disclaimer: all my comments about UFO's are jokes!!
Old 09-02-2003, 09:08 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:57 AM
CNN, MSNBC, FOX have changed the way news is broadcast. I think that this is a major factor in why things are terrifying now.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:08 PM   #8
BAW
The Flower

LOL verte!! I was seriously terrified of UFO's when I was a kid

I couldn't even sleep with my curtains open at night because I was convinced every plane or helicopter that flew by was an alien space ship
Old 09-02-2003, 09:24 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
CNN, MSNBC, FOX have changed the way news is broadcast. I think that this is a major factor in why things are terrifying now.
Absolutely. There was even a difference in the way the first and second Iraqi wars were covered. The second was much more graphic than the first. Now I can barely watch without turning into a bundle of nerves. So I generally don't.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:54 PM   #10
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:57 AM
From what Dread has said, is this a good or bad thing?

Awareness is vital I think. From what Evolution Monkey raised in thsi thread, I feel somewhat ignorant of what was happening in the world during especially the 80's. So is this media saturation overall for the good? It can go too far, and in some cases does indeed do that. Though when I look at 9/11 and other major events, I think there is a feeling of you can't really go too far at all. I'm musing here, but I think it raises the question of whether there should be some moderation not from reporting the facts and giving something the attention it deserves, but from what can easily become a media circus.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:58 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

I think the last true life changing stress faced by Americans was by those young men of draft age during the Vietnam War. Since then, we really haven't faced a nation-wide life changing matter (9/11 provided the most significant, lasting images in our recent collective history, but as for changing the way we all live our daily lives, it does not compare to the potential for a year's service in the military).

Today, as a culture, we seek activities that create endorphine rushes in a way we never have before. Extreme sports, bunge jumping, etc. Our life is at such a high comfort level, we fret when our ISP slows down, our car AC isn't cold, or other minor inconveniences. We spend more time thinking about WHAT we will eat instead of IF we will eat.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:00 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Absolutely. There was even a difference in the way the first and second Iraqi wars were covered. The second was much more graphic than the first. Now I can barely watch without turning into a bundle of nerves. So I generally don't.
I found the First Gulf War far more stressful because my father-in-law was a civilian contractor in Dahrain during the conflict. He was issued a gas mask and created a sealed room inside his apartment.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:34 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

In 91 Saddam was full strength.

This time he had almost no weapons and was weaken by years of sanctions.

Back to Emonkeys question. We all have our start point of reference. Mine is in the 60s.

It is impossible to protect us completely. Look at Israel with all their security. They will never have peace until there is a resolution to the mideast situation.

We will never have true homeland security until those that want to inflict terror on us no longer wish to so.
That does not mean we must capitulate to their demands. But, we should be doing more to achieve some understandings where they can be reached.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:22 PM   #14
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:57 AM
I grew up in fear of nuclear war. I felt bombarded with the idea that someone was going to fire a missile at any time and start the nuclear war that will end all wars. We had drills, like crunching under a desk would protect me from a nuclear explosion. Everytime they would test the outside weather alerts a small part of me would panic.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:12 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:57 PM
My Mum and Dad grew up in the seventies during the troubles here

My mums family were burnt out of 3 houses, had death threats and when my mum was about 12 and 13 men and women in her street used to throw things at her because she was a different religion

I feel safer living here now than I would have back then - every era goes through stressful times - the only thing that firghtens me is that they have all these advances in nuclear and chemical weapons nowadays