I want to leave. - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2002, 09:08 AM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:58 AM
Random ponderings...

Are there different standards for Muslims and non-Muslims in a Muslim nation? I heard that even the Taliban didn't necessarily expect a non-Muslim female journalist to have to wear the burqa.
Any comments? Because I really don't know.

Melon

Old 08-25-2002, 02:36 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Random ponderings...

Are there different standards for Muslims and non-Muslims in a Muslim nation? I heard that even the Taliban didn't necessarily expect a non-Muslim female journalist to have to wear the burqa.
Any comments? Because I really don't know.

Melon
My memory is a bit hazy on this, but I believe that when Afghanistan and Pakistan were playing a friendly soccer match, a Taliban official had the Pakistan soccer team arrested and their heads shaved for the crime of wearing shorts.

The Taliban official was later dismissed from his position.

So who knows.

Old 08-25-2002, 03:06 PM   #48
War Child

Local Time: 12:58 AM
melon, in most middle eastern countries, non-muslim arabs are still held by the same standards as muslim arabs, however foreigners, particularly english and american expats, are not, and are usually free to do what they are used to doing, e.g drinking, dressing the same etc

from my day-to day experiences in kuwait (most experience), KSA, UAE, bahrain it goes like this:
least constricting to most:

UAE-different laws exist in different states, there are 6 states total. the sharia laws that bama was spouting about in amnesty, exists only in the more rural states like al-ain and ajman but not in the metroplitan cities such dubai or abu dahbi. in the cities, you can drink, go to the bar/disco, go to the beach, wear whatever you want. freedom of speech is tolerated to a certain level. there is a high level of expatriats living there.

bahrain-a little more conservative in terms of dress, you can still wear what you want but you will get odd looks if you, say, walk around the street in a bathing suit. i'm not sure about freedoms of speech and journalism there.hotels have bars and discos. so many english expats live there, that they actually have english style gardens set up. bahrain has a normal court system and probably follows a british set up.

kuwait-kuwait is basically a big city surrounded by a small suburban part with a beech and desert. drink is legal to own but not to sell which makes the black market for it thrive. almost 90% of kuwait consumes alcohol since only 40% of the people are actually kuwaiti. there are no street bars/ clubs etc, but people have turned their houses/chalets/farms into entertainment complexes filled with anything from alcohol to prostitution and finding a place to drink/party is not hard at all, especially if you are foreign. dress code is similar to bahrain. the press have almost total freedom which is quite odd since they have more freedom than more westernised places like UAE. they basically slag the govt every chance they get! kuwait has also excellent, unedited tv cable choices and there is a satellite on almost every house. kuwait also has a normal law system and follow a french set up a believe! ODD!
in kuwait you can choose different kinds of education too, including american, english, french, indian and iranian schools.

KSA- expats can only drink/party/dress down on specific enclosed compounds. non of these things are allowed in KSA because they specifically target such things with special 'decency' police as they call it. KSA follows strict islamic rule and law, and outside the compounds, everything is enforced and no one is cut any slack so EVERYBODY has to abide by their strict rules. they also censor tv, video, internet, limit the sales of satellites and cable, no free speech or press particularly on issues of religion and government. but what do you expect of a country that houses the single most important and holy islamic location? sharia and islamic laws apply in KSA.

common sense applies to all these places.
after all, i wouldn't come to the US and ask to hunt endangered species then bitch at the lack of freedom when i get denied.(you can hunt anything in almost all middle eastern countries, they all lack decent animal laws which is a shame.)
again freedom is SUBJECTIVE thing. being able to own a gun does not = freedom.
Old 08-25-2002, 04:13 PM   #49
Refugee

Local Time: 08:58 AM
CannibalisticArtist is quite accurate in all of his reports. Where did you live in these respective countries, CannibalisticArtist, just out of curiousity, as it seems like we've lived in the same countries.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 08-25-2002, 05:30 PM   #50
War Child

Anthony i grew up in kuwait, in faiha to be precise, and i have travelled to the gulf countries i mentioned with family and friends, as well as many middle-eastern countries. i have been to the UAE twice in which i lived in dubai and abu dahbi, but i also visited sharja (across the bridge ) ajman and the themepark in al ain.
bahrain i didn't stay for long, and KSA i only stayed there a day(it was more than enough! ) and got my info from my father, he's been there many times.
Old 08-25-2002, 06:08 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CannibalisticArtist
UAE-different laws exist in different states, there are 6 states total. the sharia laws that bama was spouting about in amnesty, exists only in the more rural states like al-ain and ajman but not in the metroplitan cities such dubai or abu dahbi. in the cities, you can drink, go to the bar/disco, go to the beach, wear whatever you want. freedom of speech is tolerated to a certain level. there is a high level of expatriats living there.
CannibalisticArtist:

Please note that in the case of Elie Dib Ghaleb (the Palestinian Christian who married a Muslim bride), the arrest took place in Adu Dhabi, where he lived and worked.

Regarding the abuses which you posted in the U.S., I do not deny that those have occurred, nor do I deny that they should be investigated and corrected, if necessary. However, you absolutely deny that a woman was arrested for "swearing" in a bar in UAE, and instead blame her for being drunk or exaggerating. Great!

~U2Alabama
Old 08-25-2002, 06:23 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

The statements "swearing is legal in the United Arab Emirates" and "my friend was arrested in the United Arab Emirates" do not contradict each other. The officer who arrested Bama's friend could very well have been acting on his own.

Just my logical explanation for the supposed conflict here.
Old 08-25-2002, 06:37 PM   #53
Banned

Location: my lovenest / in bed with Larry, Bono, Larry, :heart: Adam, Larry, Edge, *swoon* kisses and THUD !!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
[B.

As for the Saudi Arabian thing, you are quite right. My mother was indeed forced to wear such apparel. However, that was ages ago in the late 80s. I confess I do NOT know how things work now, but I have had people come back to me and tell me that young teenage girls get to wear what they wish. Now, that is.

Ant. [/B]
I was in Saudi just before the bombing of Khobar Towers, and when downtown in the Bazzar I noticed all of the women were covered head to toe. They also were not allowed to make eye contact with us. I am not sure at which age they start this, but I doubt they allow their teenage girls to dress as they want, God forbid. Or should I say "Allah forbid" ? Whatever.

U2Bama, I believe your story and will not lower myself to calling your friend a liar.

I find it funny that people are executed for shoplifting but are allowed to use foul language in the streets. Of course, I am sure they are alowed to use whatever type of language they want if it is about the USA
Old 08-25-2002, 07:26 PM   #54
Refugee

CannibalisticArtist;

Sounds like you had an awesome up-bringing. You said you were raised in faiha, when was this, though? (I'm just curious). Lol.

Ant.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 08-25-2002, 07:33 PM   #55
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer
The statements "swearing is legal in the United Arab Emirates" and "my friend was arrested in the United Arab Emirates" do not contradict each other. The officer who arrested Bama's friend could very well have been acting on his own.

Just my logical explanation for the supposed conflict here.
makes sense. as opposed to the nonsensical "my friend was arrested in the United Arab Emirates" = "there is no freedom of speech in the UAE". i suspect there is more to this story than just aimless 'swearing' in a different language no less. the policeman had to have been arab. in arabic, 'damn' is not considered blashphemy nor swearing, especially not when said in english.
it wasn't a conflict, more of a thread hijack but now it seems we are back on track.

hijack again: Anthony i was in kuwait up until 1997. BTW the faiha area sucked .
Old 08-25-2002, 07:38 PM   #56
Banned

Location: my lovenest / in bed with Larry, Bono, Larry, :heart: Adam, Larry, Edge, *swoon* kisses and THUD !!!

Damn it Just realized something.

This is very odd, I was looking at your name CannabilisticArtist when my cd (Boston elevation) suddenly jumped back form the end of 'walk on' to 'The Fly' where he says "every artist is a cannibal........"

Odder still, it was in the bazaar in Saudi that i mentioned earlier that a friend of mine (we were in a record shop) grabbed me and said "hey this is rare you should buy this"!!!!!!!!

I looked to see what he was talking about and he handed me an IMPORT copy of 'the Fly' single!

Of course I bought it and still have it!
Old 08-25-2002, 07:40 PM   #57
Refugee

Yeah, I guess it did. I lived in Salmiya and Ahmadi. Did you ever go there? (I realise its a hijack, but this thread was hijacked ages ago...)

Ant.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 08-25-2002, 07:46 PM   #58
War Child

that's a pretty cool coincindence z edge. i love that verse as you can tell . i first found about U2 in kwt when my brother bought a tape of AB with him from the US when he visited. several car trips later and i became hooked!
anthony- salmiya=everyday. what else is was there to during the weekdays? . i had a friend who lived in ahmadi but i didn't visit him very often. i'd just meet him...in salmiya!
Old 08-25-2002, 11:04 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by CannibalisticArtist

makes sense. as opposed to the nonsensical "my friend was arrested in the United Arab Emirates" = "there is no freedom of speech in the UAE". i suspect there is more to this story than just aimless 'swearing' in a different language no less. the policeman had to have been arab. in arabic, 'damn' is not considered blashphemy nor swearing, especially not when said in english.
it wasn't a conflict, more of a thread hijack but now it seems we are back on track.

hijack again: Anthony i was in kuwait up until 1997. BTW the faiha area sucked .
Of course, I meant to reconcile the statements "it is legal to swear in UAE" with "my friend was arrested for swearing in UAE," but you obviously understood that.
Old 08-26-2002, 01:48 AM   #60
Refugee

I have no trust in our Government. I AGREE
I have no faith in the Constitution. I DISAGREE
I have grown to despise the man that I elected President. I HAVE ALWAYS DESPISED HIM
I have lost my faith in the Goodness of Humanity. I BEGAN AGREEING ABOUT 18 YEARS AGO (IM CURRENTLY 22 YEARS OLD)
I have lost my trust in America. SAME HERE
I pledge no Allegiance to any Flag. DITTO
I do not support the Military. I SUPPORT THE TROOPS, BUT DISTRUST THE OFFICIALS
I hate the Blind Followers of our Executive Leader. TELL ME ABOUT IT
I hate the Flag Worshippers. GEORGE CARLIN SAID IT BEST, SYMBOLS ARE FOR THE SYMBOL-MINDED
I hate the Corporations. THEY DO SOME GOOD, BUT DOES THAT MATTER? NO
I hate having Capitalism rammed down my Throat. ITS HARD, BUT I THINK ITS THE BEST SYSTEM AT THE CURRENT TIME.
I hate the Illusion of Democracy that everyone clings to. SMALL BRAINS WILL CLING TO ANYTHING.
I don't believe in the Illuminati. I DONT KNOW WHAT THIS IS.
I don't believe that the Planet is being run by Lizard People. YOU NEVER KNOW.
I don't believe the President is a Pawn of the Free Masons. YOU NEVER KNOW.
I don't believe I'm being spied on whenever I watch TV. YEAH, THATS A LITTLE FARFETCHED.
I don't believe the Government is tracking my every move. NEVER LET YOUR GUARD DOWN
I do believe that the Government is nothing more that a bunch of Greedy, Squabbling, Infantile, Corrupt White Men. AMEN, BROTHA
I believe the Country needs to take care of itself before dealing with Foreign Matters. TRUE
I believe Israel is in the wrong. THAT MAKES TWO OF US. NOW THE HARD PART IS CONVINCING EVERYONE ELSE.
I believe no good can possibly come of invading Iraq. MAYBE IN THE LONG RUN, BUT IT WILL INEVITABLY SCREW UP A LOT OF LIVES.
I hate the Government. WHICH ONE?
I hate most of the Citizens of this Once Great Nation. WHICH ONE? AMERICA OR BRAZIL. (LOL)
I hate the idea that it is the Duty of the United States to provide Freedom and Democracy to the world, when we have none for ourselves. GREAT LINE, CAN I USE IT SOMEDAY.
I hate the People who cannot see that I have every Right to say all this and still be American. NO, YOU BELONG IN PRISON AND FEED ONE MEAL A WEEK, YOU ANTI-SEMITE, UNEDUCATED, SADDAM LOVIN BASTARD. OOPS, THAT JUST KIND OF SLIPPED OUT. (LOL)
There are better, freer countries out there. AUSTRALIA, CANADA, GERMANY. LETS GO!
This is my home. I hate to see it like this. A--------MEN