I want to go to Africa - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2006, 11:23 AM   #16
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:33 PM
here's a list of a few of the organisations i narrowed my search down to... how applicable these are to people not in England i'm not certain but have a look anyway, if only to give yourself a better idea of what you're dealing with.

www.kidsworldwide.org
www.amizade.org
www.globalcrossroad.com
www.crossculturalsolutions.com
www.madventure.com
www.unitedplanet.org/quest
www.volunteer.org.nz
(i did really like volunteer.org and was actually accepted to them before i decided to go to ghana instead of uganda.)

this next guy is the same as the above link but is a direct contact to him so you avoid the middle organisation of volunteer.org and go straight through him which cuts costs slightly.
http://groups.msn.com/africanchildf...onhomepage.msnw

hope thats of some use... if you can go, you MUST... its an incredible experience and something i hope to build on in the future

Old 02-01-2006, 11:25 AM   #17
New Yorker

oh yeah... pictures... and lots of them!!!

http://photobucket.com/albums/v477/d.../Ghana%202005/

Old 02-01-2006, 01:05 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by digsy
oh yeah... pictures... and lots of them!!!

http://photobucket.com/albums/v477/d.../Ghana%202005/
Awesome pics!!! I LOVE the pics of the little kids (the sleeping one at the end ). I tried to take a ton in Tanzania, but a lot of the kids were offended if you didn't give them a coin for a picture.

What program did you go to Ghana with? Our school has a semester in Ghana program (same price as regular tuition) that I should've done
Old 02-01-2006, 05:42 PM   #19
New Yorker

went with www.kidsworldwide.org

its a non-profit independent organisation which means you literally pay your costs out there as a "donation". i watched my $250 (for a month) go straight into the hands of the woman who runs the home i was in and for that i got housed, fed, more than looked after and saw the girls get a new mattress and a bookshelf for their growing supplies. far better then seein a couple of hundred dollars disappear into some organisations pocket somewhere.
the down side - the program probably could be slightly better organised - on the way out there i met a group of other people all going out with one organisation, they were all grouped together, doing the exact same project and even had organisation t-shirts they were all wearing.
i went out on my own, on my own accord and timing to fit in wih hoever was here and waited 2 hours at the airport for my pickup which was daunting

but really, as it was, it's fine, i had no real problems and actually got to experience the whole thing independently as oppossed to in an organised "school trip" type style.

as for the photos, most of the pictures are of the girls i was looking after who were more than happy to have their picture taken every time they heard the click of the lens cap coming off!
the ones taken on the beach of all the boys were kids from a fishing village next to where we were staying... initially a few of the woman tried to get money from us but we ended up playing with the kids for a couple of hours and randomly took a few pics of them all just messing about.... by that point the adults didn't seem to mind (i think us keeping the kids distracted for a few hours was payment enough!)
Old 02-01-2006, 08:43 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:33 PM
Digsy, thanks for the links!
Old 02-04-2006, 04:04 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:33 PM
Just bumping it up just in case anyone needs the links.