"I Want a Twenty-Four Hour Truce During Which There Is No Rape"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
joyfulgirl said:
Just two weeks ago, a male friend of mine had Rohypnol, the 'date rape drug,' slipped into his drink by two men. Probably the intent was to rob him rather than rape him--or at least that's what my friend suspected. Still, you are quite right.

Ugh.

How can people be that sick and cruel? I just don't understand.

Angela

Because they're not normal. People say there's no such thing as normal. To an extent I agree, but mostly I don't. There is a 'normal' in humankind. Those who are happy enough going about their business without causing intentional harm to others, those who play by the rules and can love and respect and appreciate others. They're normal. These normal people make mistakes, and have faults. We all do. Normal or not. But what the hell is 'normal' about taking a man or woman and forcing yourself on them? I'd guess that most people really do think they're pretty normal when it comes down to it, we might think we're a bit odd or have quirks etc. But quirks and oddness in personality don't cause you to violate someone's person in such an utterly sick and pysical as well as emotional way.
There's a normal alright. Look at who fill up our prisons. They're not normal. We are not the same kind as those (not including people who may have simply made a mistake and other exceptions to the rule and hence end up in jail). We don't rape and murder and think nothing of it. We don't enjoy seeing genuine and real harm inflicted on anyone.

I don't want to sound like the church lady or anything, but I think it's Satan.

At the root of every evil thought, deed, or action is Old Scratch himself. It's all about the power for that evil rat bastard. He corrupted God's creation and now he moves in the heart of man as a weapon against The Almighty. He thinks that if he can control God's greatest creation then he has won.

But we all have free will, so no one is let off the hook by saying "the devil made me do it". We can say "The devil tempted me", but the ultimate choice between good and evil lies with us.

Sadly, it sure seems like more people are taking the devil's road rather than God's.

Angela Harlem said:
Because they're not normal. People say there's no such thing as normal. To an extent I agree, but mostly I don't. There is a 'normal' in humankind. Those who are happy enough going about their business without causing intentional harm to others, those who play by the rules and can love and respect and appreciate others. They're normal. These normal people make mistakes, and have faults. We all do. Normal or not. But what the hell is 'normal' about taking a man or woman and forcing yourself on them? I'd guess that most people really do think they're pretty normal when it comes down to it, we might think we're a bit odd or have quirks etc. But quirks and oddness in personality don't cause you to violate someone's person in such an utterly sick and pysical as well as emotional way.
There's a normal alright. Look at who fill up our prisons. They're not normal. We are not the same kind as those (not including people who may have simply made a mistake and other exceptions to the rule and hence end up in jail). We don't rape and murder and think nothing of it. We don't enjoy seeing genuine and real harm inflicted on anyone.

I'm one of those who has said that whole bit about there being no such thing as normal...but this post makes some very good points concerning that. Very well said-I couldn't agree more.

Angela

bonoman said:

I agree with what yoursaying but the context in which you are saying it makes it seem like this is only limited to women. It is not.

No, I definitely did not mean to come across as it is only women who are affected by this. (I wasn't sure how to make that clear and guess after I got going forgot it.) Thanks for mentioning it though. :)

Here's another article I found that talks about hiding the accuser and how the web has changed things for victims/accusers. Just thought it would be interesting to share.

Back
Top Bottom