"I trust God speaks through me..." - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2006, 06:15 PM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977

Forced organ harvesting, yes.
I'm not sure what this would entail.
How is this different from the current organ harvesting/donation process?

Old 07-20-2006, 06:19 PM   #107
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:03 AM
Quote:
In the 1970s, when the country took up the abortion debate, one of the big issues raised was euthanasia. At the time, this was pooh-poohed -- that will never happen, that's unlikely, etc. However, we are now sitting right in the middle of this debate. It is reasonable to presume that each generation advances the cause of the previous generation. So it is not out of hand to extend the conversation of how a culture defines, defends, and takes life just one step further. (As WildHoney pointed out, organ harvesting is a subject that's already out there.)

and where is euthanasia legal?

it remains as much a debate today as it was in the 1970s, and i think it's rather disingenuous to think that the legality of abortion is somehow tied to the euthanasia issue. the euthanasia issue has surfaced entirely independent to abortion and mostly as a result of legitimate ethical quandries -- patients suffering from ALS and other rare but devastating issues. usually, it's an issue about the reduction of suffering. i've actually studied euthanasia quite a bit and i've never heard it linked to abortion.

i don't think the link is there.

Old 07-20-2006, 06:27 PM   #108
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
In the 1970s, when the country took up the abortion debate, one of the big issues raised was euthanasia. At the time, this was pooh-poohed -- that will never happen, that's unlikely, etc. However, we are now sitting right in the middle of this debate. It is reasonable to presume that each generation advances the cause of the previous generation. So it is not out of hand to extend the conversation of how a culture defines, defends, and takes life just one step further. (As WildHoney pointed out, organ harvesting is a subject that's already out there.)

and where is euthanasia legal?

it remains as much a debate today as it was in the 1970s, and i think it's rather disingenuous to think that the legality of abortion is somehow tied to the euthanasia issue. the euthanasia issue has surfaced entirely independent to abortion and mostly as a result of legitimate ethical quandries -- patients suffering from ALS and other rare but devastating issues. usually, it's an issue about the reduction of suffering. i've actually studied euthanasia quite a bit and i've never heard it linked to abortion.

i don't think the link is there.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:51 PM   #109
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

You seem to assume I'm looking at this from a moral perspective. I'm not. I'm looking at this issue from a political and ethical one.
No, not at all. The moral stance makes zero sense to me, but that wasn't what I was misunderstanding.

Quote:

Once you introduce federal money into any situation, you open the door to special-interests, to politicking, to corruption -- all of which the federal government either cannot or will not regulate.
This is what I'm misunderstanding. Do you honestly think this will be better in the private sector?

Old 07-20-2006, 07:29 PM   #110
Blue Crack Supplier

sorry for the earlier double post -- my computer was freaking out, so i turned it off and went home ... erm, anyway ...
Old 07-20-2006, 07:41 PM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

This is what I'm misunderstanding. Do you honestly think this will be better in the private sector?

Do you honestly think it will better in the federal one?

I'm not saying I know the answer. What I am saying is, I'm pretty sure the federal government isn't it.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:04 PM   #112
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Do you honestly think it will better in the federal one?

I'm not saying I know the answer. What I am saying is, I'm pretty sure the federal government isn't it.
I'd think there would be more of a checks and balances with the issue, and voters would control the regulation rather than corporations.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:06 PM   #113
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

this seems rather unhelpful, especially with so many lives that could be improved or healed.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:54 AM   #114
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

nathan, what do you think of this perspective I mentioned in earlier post? Fair or not?

Or maybe, just maybe there isn't that assumption at all. Maybe, just maybe opponents of stem cell research KNOW that federal gov is the major funder of research, and know that without such funding the stem cell research will likely die on the vine. Maybe all the talk about gov. oversight messing things up is just a cloak for the fact that opponents don't want this research to happen at all, and they know that stopping gov. funding is the surest way to see that it doesn't. It would certainly be more consistent since opponents base their opposition on moral/ethical concerns and thus could not logically support any kind of stem cell research, publically funded, or otherwise.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:51 AM   #115
ONE
love, blood, life

AIDs.

Cancer.

Alzheimer's.

Spinal Cord Injury.

Parkinson's Disease.

IMO, these are the biggest and most important five diseases/injuries for which a potential treatment and/or cure could be affected by stem cell research. If full federal funding were granted today, would there be cures tomorrow? Of course not. It could take years, it could take decade of research, but if there is a legitimate shot that this research could lead to eventual treatments and cures for the above mentioned diseases/injuries, then you have to fund it. You HAVE to. When you give a paralyzed person the chance to walk again, when you give a person with Alzheimer's the chance to use their mind again, when you give a person with Parkinson's the chance to control their own body again, when you give a person with cancer or AIDs the ability to live again, you are giving somebody their life back. For that, no amount of federal funding is too much.

A stem cell, that will likely be disposed of anyway, doesn't have a husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend or kids or parents or friends or any of that. A stem cell gets used, it's not leaving anything behind. Anyone with any of the above diseases/injuries will either leave all of those people behind if they die, or if they live, all of those peoples' lives will be affected by watching that person live with that disease/injury.

How you choose a stem cell's POTENTIAL life over a sick person's REAL life is totally beyond me.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:01 AM   #116
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 08:03 PM
I think any funding, whether it be from the government, private sector, mob money etc is good, and definately needed to give us the best chance of finding cures for debilitating and fatal diseases.

Some people were saying ealier that stem cells may not help at all so why bother, the point is, they may NOT but unless we test them over and over again, we'll never know. I honestly do NOT understand why ANYONE would be opposed to this? And then attaching issues like forced organ farming and the like to it is just silly. All it is is cells, that can be used to help us work out the building blocks to life and maybe therin find the key to ease or cure people who are suffering. Is that not a moral and enlightened thing to do?
Old 07-21-2006, 02:09 AM   #117
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:03 PM
A much better point to argue is that Federal funding of research that many are opposed to on moral grounds is not a valid use of their tax dollars, of course one may make the same argument about almost every example of government spending.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:33 PM   #118
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:03 AM
Quote:
At his first veto ceremony, Bush piously surrounded himself with children who were adopted while still embryos in fertility clinics. The kids were telegenic symbols of the potential embedded in each human embryo, but entirely disingenuous ones; the bill Bush rejected wouldn't have prevented a single one of them from being born.

Fertility clinics destroy thousands of embryos every year, byproducts of the in-vitro fertilization process. The bill would have allowed federal funding only for stem cell lines made from embryos that were destined for destruction, not adoption. No lives will be saved by the president's veto, but it's quite possible that many will be lost, victims of complications of diseases that embryonic stem cells could one day cure.
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...,3886474.story
Old 07-21-2006, 10:22 PM   #119
Blue Crack Addict

I guess we can forget about a cure for AIDS or Alzheimer's. A friend of mine recently lost a father to Alzheimer's, and it wasn't fun. This pisses me off.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:15 PM   #120
War Child

Another instance where the President did what HE wanted instead of 'we the people' wanted. Will he ever put public opinion above his own?