"I trust God speaks through me..." - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2006, 02:55 PM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:54 PM
Yes I do, and no I don't.

Old 07-20-2006, 03:02 PM   #77
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:54 PM
so who do you trust to regulate?

or do we just make it all illegal?

Old 07-20-2006, 03:05 PM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie

There is a huge gap between the government funding science and declaring something illegal, Irvine. That's the height of a straw man debate.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:12 PM   #79
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977
There is a huge gap between the government funding science and declaring something illegal, Irvine. That's the height of a straw man debate.

well, i'm trying to figure out what the issue is.

it seems to me that you have significant moral and ethical questions with the issue. if that's true, it seems to me that you'd want more governmental regulation because, as anitram has pointed out, it is far more comprehensive.

however, you seem to be uncomfortable with the federal funding of scientific research that you have significant moral and ethical questions with because you don't trust the government. so this begs several questions -- are there entities that you would trust more to regulate than the government? if so, which entities? how and why would they be more effective than the government?
Old 07-20-2006, 03:21 PM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'm trying to follow your argument as well nathan.

The issue is federal funding for stem cell research. You oppose it for two reasons: one, you have ethical concerns with stem cell research and don't like the idea of the government funding the killing of innocent people. Two, you don't trust the government to properly dispense funds for stem cell research (though I'd like to you to elaborate how they might screw it up. . .give more money to the most inept researchers?)

And anyway, doesn't your first concern kind of make the second one a moot point? And if you oppose stem cell research on moral and ethical grounds why is it somehow "okay" for private companies to do so without government funding (or perhaps even oversight). If it's "wrong" wouldn't you have to argue that it SHOULD be illegal?
Old 07-20-2006, 03:54 PM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

You obviously didn't major in science...
A neutron goes into a bar and asks the bartender, "How much for a beer?"
The bartender replies, "For you, no charge."

Hope that's not over your head Herr Professor.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:59 PM   #82
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500

A neutron goes into a bar and asks the bartender, "How much for a beer?"
The bartender replies, "For you, no charge."

Hope that's not over your head Herr Professor.
It may not be LOL, but it's decent...
Old 07-20-2006, 04:31 PM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

The issue is federal funding for stem cell research. You oppose it for two reasons: one, you have ethical concerns with stem cell research and don't like the idea of the government funding the killing of innocent people. Two, you don't trust the government to properly dispense funds for stem cell research (though I'd like to you to elaborate how they might screw it up. . .give more money to the most inept researchers?)

And anyway, doesn't your first concern kind of make the second one a moot point? And if you oppose stem cell research on moral and ethical grounds why is it somehow "okay" for private companies to do so without government funding (or perhaps even oversight). If it's "wrong" wouldn't you have to argue that it SHOULD be illegal?
My issue with government-funded stem cell research is that it sets a remarkably dangerous precedent that, if unchecked, could conceivably allow the government to begin to determine who lives and who dies, based on the fairly arbitrary measure of "medical research" -- and to do so with taxpayer dollars. Certainly, inviting governmental oversight guarantees* a certain degree of accountability, but this goes both ways. The federal government could be conceivably dragged into medical debates and forced to legislate on issues which would ordinarily be out of its bounds (and rightfully so). The abortion debate would be kids' play when/if the government is forced to decide whether someone is dead (or dead enough) so that their organs can be harvested for "crucial scientific research."

Stem cell research is legal. I may disagree with it, but it is what it is. But I'm certainly not going to agree to funding it, and I certainly don't think the federal government should.

*And yes, I do think the government would be incompetent in the supervision of the funds, the groups who would receive them, and the ethical issues underneath it.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:34 PM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

My issue with government-funded stem cell research is that it sets a remarkably dangerous precedent that, if unchecked, could conceivably allow the government to begin to determine who lives and who dies, based on the fairly arbitrary measure of "medical research" -- and to do so with taxpayer dollars.

How could the government decide who lives and who dies?

And who is "who?" Embryos or those already born?
Old 07-20-2006, 04:35 PM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie

^
WildHoney, see my amended post.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:03 PM   #86
Blue Crack Supplier

while i can understand the objection -- as much as i might disagree -- to having federal dollers help fund research you might find morally objectionable (though i find our war in Iraq morally objectionable yet i still have to help pay for it), it seems to me that if your concerns are with the best oversight and regulations of the research then it is best done by the government due to the laws regarding the use of federal funds rather than leaving the research up to private fundings and diminished regulation and oversight.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:06 PM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Actually, my objection has less to do with my morality on the subject than with the broader ethical and legislative crises that can very conceivably come into play as a result of how it is addressed.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:09 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

The abortion debate would be kids' play when/if the government is forced to decide whether someone is dead (or dead enough) so that their organs can be harvested for "crucial scientific research."

Aren't there already concerns over this in organ donation situations?
Old 07-20-2006, 05:10 PM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie

There are. That's why I brought it up. It's a situation that a decision to fund research like this could only aggravate.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:13 PM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
There are. That's why I brought it up. It's a situation that a decision to fund research like this could only aggravate.
I don't see how. It's already difficult to donate your organs. ( at least in Illinois) The state doesn't have a say, the next of kin does, even though I have registered, signed the back of my driver's licence, etc. Why would this change because of stem cell research?