I saw Ali Hewson interviewed on BBC this morning about Sellafield....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougal55

War Child
Hi!

I saw an interview of Ali Hewson this morning on BBC Breakfast News about her campaign for Sellafield to close.....She looked great in the interview and she pointed out about the danger of an even worse disaster than Chernobyl if the terrorists has their own way....and wants to see the place closed down..... I also love the fact that over 1 million postcards are being sent to Tony Blair and to BNFL (Sellafield) too! Cool idea, that!

Heres the article published earlier this month on BBC News website.... and can anyone direct me to a weblink about her campaign? Im interested to know more......

The wife of the Irish rock star Bono has launched another campaign to close the Sellafield nuclear power plant.
Ali Hewson is organising for more than a million postcards to be sent from households throughout the Republic of Ireland to UK Prime Minister Tony Blair demanding that he shut down the plant.

U2's Bono and his wife Ali, an anti-nuclear campaigner live in Killiney Bay in south County Dublin - just over a 100 miles away from Sellafield. Ali Hewson is an anti-nuclear campaigner

Ali Hewson believes it is a risk to her children and the children of the Irish nation.

So, she has organised a special postal delivery for the prime minister.

The British Government denies Sellafield is the risk the Irish Government and pressure groups believe it to be.

Ali Hewson is not convinced, and has organised for 1.3m households to be given postcards calling for the plant's closure.

They will be sent free of charge to Mr Blair.

Ali Hewson told the BBC: "I think it is the first step to say to Tony Blair that we respect what you did in Northern Ireland, we respect what you did for the peace process, but we don't respect you standing behind BNFL and Sellafield."

People can buy other postcards to be sent to the Prince of Wales and Sellafield's chief executive.

All of the postcards will be delivered on 26 April with the proceeds going to victims of the Chernobyl disaster.

Irish Government spokesman

Fergus Finlay, once a special government adviser and a key player in the peace process, is also involved in the campaign.

Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern has already offered preliminary support.

A scheme spokesman said: "We are working on trying to establish the campaign which still depends on us being able to pay for it, but we hope it will be up and running soon.

"The idea is that the cards will be delivered to homes in the Republic and people will be urged to send them on to Tony Blair and Prince Charles, as well as to Sellafield itself.

"It is hoped that we will be able to get corporate and government backing for the campaign. Some individuals have already made personal financial commitments."

The Irish Post Office An Post confirmed it would drop the postcards through 1.3m homes in the Republic for people to forward to the UK.

Supermarkets and banks will be asked to sell the cards to customers for one euro.

Terrorist target

The commissioning of a new mixed oxide (MOX) reprocessing facility at the end of 2001 caused outrage in the Republic.

Mr Ahern's party, Fianna Fail, itself launched a high profile protest against the nuclear plant towards the end of last year, publishing full page articles in the British press demanding its closure.

A spokesman for Mr Ahern said: "The Taoiseach has made it quite clear that he is opposed to Sellafield and would like to see it closed.

"Obviously the plans for the postcard campaign would need to be examined carefully but as long as it is all legal it would have his backing."

hope she succeeds!

dougal

Thanks Gina Marie for the link!

Yeah its not very often that Ali appears on British TV these days but, good lord, she was good even for a brief 30 or so seconds as part of the half-hourly headlines. I think that is a short clip of an entire interview which is probably longer and I missed that, damn! Did anyone see the "longer" interview?

Thanks again Gina Marie!

dougal

You're quite welcome Dougal

Glad to help

smile.gif

I got a phone call about an hour after it was on saying that she had been on the news. I was like "why didn't you tell me WHEN IT WAS ON rather than now?" Argh!!!!!

Anyway she's an amazing woman and I wish her the best of luck with this campaign
smile.gif

Ali is doing a great job.

I saw (I think) the full interview, she came across really well as always, and you could tell she already had the presenters convinced...

As a result from radioactive dumping from the Sellafield Nucelar reprocessing plant, the Irish sea has become one of the most radioactive stretches of water in the world, and I think the most radioactive sea in Europe. Basically its the dumping ground for the world's Nuclear waste to Ireland's great misfortune (to say the least) and to BNFL and hence the British Government's profit.

I dont pretend to know as much as I should about the situation, but here are some facts I managed to dig up (with very little effort I must say):

(1) Increased rates of cancer have been reported on the east coast of Ireland and west coast of England. In the village of Seascale, near Sellafield, there has been a disproportionate amount of cancer reported among the population. Some of the residents of this town are convinced that Sellafield is the cause of an unusually high amount of leukemia cases among the children.
(2) However, government scientists in the United Kingdom ruled out any such link between cancer and radiation from the Sellafield plant in March 1996.
(3) Opponents to Sellafield claim that the report was inconclusive, and continue to pursue further investigation.
(4)Sellafield has eleven silos full of radioactive nuclear waste. Each silo contains an amount of waste eight times the amount that was released by Chernobyl in 1986.
(5) If vapor happened to be released from one of these silos it could result in a disaster much worse than Chernobyl. Leaks of radioactive waste are dangerous due to its half life of 24,000 years.

I think that it is great what Ali is doing. I get a lot of inspiration from her. I hope to someday be able to fight for the things that I believe in as well as her. :)

Is there any kind of online petition or anything where North Americans and other supportive parties can help Ali's cause?

Back
Top Bottom