I saw a kinder gentler GW Bush tonight.. - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2002, 10:43 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:58 AM

Arun-
I dont think the connection needs to be made.
Saddam needs to go..period, before or after Osama..

Thanks for the contributions Sting/Bama

DB9

Old 10-10-2002, 01:14 AM   #47
Refugee

Local Time: 04:58 PM
well

The bush administration is saying that this is part of the war on terror

Also....if Bush sr had done this right the first time....we wouldn't need a second war with iraq. ....so you can't tell me the bush lineage is somehow doing soemthing righteous...it's just trying to correct a previous 'f*ck' up

so naturally you have to connect it..that's sorta the point.

If bush just said...." hey saddam is a f*cker..needs to go, here's the evidence"/..I'd say go ahead.

I am very upset that countries like russia and france have their heads up their ass on the iraq issue...they need to understand that iraq broke the resolutions and their need to be consequences.

Old 10-10-2002, 01:19 AM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Arun V
Also....if Bush sr had done this right the first time....we wouldn't need a second war with iraq. ....so you can't tell me the bush lineage is somehow doing soemthing righteous...it's just trying to correct a previous 'f*ck' up
GHW Bush went as far as the UN resolutions allowed at the time. He played by the UN's rules and now we've got to finish the job.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:21 AM   #49
War Child

Local Time: 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
Ms. Joyful-
Thank you for your 2 unbiased articles
If an article is pro-attacking Iraq, it's biased.
If it's against, it's biased.
So a non-biased article would have to come from an alien who just says "Iraq? I dunno."
Old 10-10-2002, 03:35 AM   #50
Jesus Online

Local Time: 02:58 AM
Big Grin

Well lordy me Tyler. If that isn't the most blatant truth someone has ever posted in here...
!
Old 10-10-2002, 10:41 AM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama
Diamond:

I watched it and I agree with most of what he says. I hope it doesn't have to come to any large military action, but I understand that it may. I have seen it said that this is a "racist war" and that Bush is trigger happy and such; well, just as many of you are not "sold" on Bush's position, I put no monetary value in the "racist" and "trigger happy" claims. Thanks.

~U2Alabama
just because i'm not sold, doesn't mean i think bush is racist or trigger-happy. i don't think that. i just fear that we are getting ourselves into something without thinking it fully through. at the moment i feel more threatened by al qaeda still than i do saddam. i feel like we should finish that job first. i'm not saying that saddam isn't a major threat, but i am afraid of the number of soldiers we will lose, as well as the number of innocent iraquis who will die. we can blame saddam all we want, and i agree that he is a truly evil man and is the root cause of this but our hands will not be clean when this is over. i just want to make sure we exhaust all other options before taking a military approach.

*edited because i can't spell worth a damn before 10 am.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:50 AM   #52
Refugee

I agree with flower...we gotta take care of al qaeda and there isn't a solid al qaeda saddam link.

I thinK regime change is the best hing for iraq cos we could finnaly end the sanctions which kills millions of iraqis every year ( and there is no way i want to see them lifted before saddam is out of power). in truth any war we fight with iraq will kill far fewer iraqis' than the sanctions do year after year. so that's not a foremost concern in my mind.

I really dont' feel like giving the arab world one more reason to hate us. it's just going to mean having to gight two or three more wars later.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:43 PM   #53
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

GHW Bush went as far as the UN resolutions allowed at the time. He played by the UN's rules and now we've got to finish the job.
well we dont' impose on israel to comply with UN resolutions...why do we have to follow them???
Old 10-10-2002, 02:35 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Resolutions in regards to Israel do not call for the use of force to resolve them. Resolutions in regards to Iraq do!

In regards to sanctions, millions of Iraqi's are NOT killed every year by sanctions. Iraq under sanctions is allowed to sell all the oil they need to purchase as much humanitarian supplies they need to prevent problems among its population. Iraq has the 2nd largest oil reserves in the world and can use this wealth to purchase any humanitarian supplies they need. I'm sure there have been Iraqi's killed over the past few years, mostly by Saddam, but there is no way to accurately verify who, where, and how certain individuals have died or been murdered, given Saddam Husseins complete control of Iraqi society.

Another point is that launching a military strike against Iraq does not take away from resources being used to fight the war on terrorism. The USA has a large enough military and intelligence services to not only fight Iraq and Al-Quada at the same time, but to safeguard against a possible North Korean invasion of South Korea, continue to police the situation in Bosnia, Kosovo and other area's, and to watch the situation between China and Tawain and still have forces available to respond to all these contingencies combined!
Old 10-10-2002, 04:14 PM   #55
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
Resolutions in regards to Israel do not call for the use of force to resolve them. Resolutions in regards to Iraq do!

In regards to sanctions, millions of Iraqi's are NOT killed every year by sanctions. Iraq under sanctions is allowed to sell all the oil they need to purchase as much humanitarian supplies they need to prevent problems among its population. Iraq has the 2nd largest oil reserves in the world and can use this wealth to purchase any humanitarian supplies they need. I'm sure there have been Iraqi's killed over the past few years, mostly by Saddam, but there is no way to accurately verify who, where, and how certain individuals have died or been murdered, given Saddam Husseins complete control of Iraqi society.

Another point is that launching a military strike against Iraq does not take away from resources being used to fight the war on terrorism. The USA has a large enough military and intelligence services to not only fight Iraq and Al-Quada at the same time, but to safeguard against a possible North Korean invasion of South Korea, continue to police the situation in Bosnia, Kosovo and other area's, and to watch the situation between China and Tawain and still have forces available to respond to all these contingencies combined!

sting we actually agreed....the argument was that bush left saddam in power cos of UN resolutions....so back then...the US should have taken saddam out. Now I brought up israel only to point out...we should have finished the job in 1991...now..it may be harder.

also..even the US congreesman that went to iraq and came back were critical of the sanctions....I think the sanctions are legit..but they aren't doing the iraqi ppl any good.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:02 PM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

This has been a nice healthy discussion.

The beginning of The Persian Gulf War the voting was ALOT closer.

I think after Saddam is removed it will be a "wake-up" call to other "up and coming" terrorists..that the civilized peaceful nations of the world are united and there is no future in reigning in fear in terror..causing them to re-examine their thinking..

Sure terror will never go away entirely, however if we do nothing they will flourish.
Sorta like pulling weeds in the garden..maintiance..stinky maintance
Not a fun job but nesecessary in our day and age..
Remove the terrorists in our world, remove the stinky weeds from our garden

Hope this analogy makes sense

-diamond-
Old 10-10-2002, 06:19 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
I think after Saddam is removed it will be a "wake-up" call to other "up and coming" terrorists..that the civilized peaceful nations of the world are united and there is no future in reigning in fear in terror..causing them to re-examine their thinking..
Oh it will be a wake-up call alright...
Old 10-10-2002, 06:21 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

wink

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth

Oh it will be a wake-up call alright...
Dr Teeth-
You could choose to do nothing and live in fear
or
pull the weeds

DB9
Old 10-10-2002, 06:32 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Arun,

The US congressmen that went to Iraq only get to see what Saddam Hussein wants them to see, things that are a creation of Saddam himself.

At the End of The Gulf War in 1991 Iraq complied with UN resolutions by cooperating with the UN on all points. The process to comply with all resolutions was under way. It was during the Clinton administration which started in 1993, and more particular in 1998 that Iraq became in open violations of UN agreements and resolutions.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:31 PM   #60
Refugee

Local Time: 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
At the End of The Gulf War in 1991 Iraq complied with UN resolutions by cooperating with the UN on all points. The process to comply with all resolutions was under way. It was during the Clinton administration which started in 1993, and more particular in 1998 that Iraq became in open violations of UN agreements and resolutions.
So are you saying the US should have put some sort of pressure on Iraq in 1993 or 1998 when they first began to violate their sanctions? I hardly think it would have made sense back then given the circumstances. Then again, I'm not sure what has really changed between then and now regarding our relationship with Iraq.