I REALLY wish GAY guys would STOP it. - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2002, 10:11 PM   #61
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

."

I also know quite a few lesbians,
Im a Male-Lesbian I think

DB9

Old 07-31-2002, 11:07 PM   #62
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

Im a Male-Lesbian I think

DB9
you are incorrigable

Old 08-01-2002, 02:28 AM   #63
ONE
love, blood, life

wink

Quote:

you are incorrigable
I do think some parts of me are.
DB9
Old 08-01-2002, 10:56 AM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick

Well, melon, I know some gay men who are like that. However, I also know some gay men who are total opposites.

Stereotypes suck, but SOMETIMES people do fit the description.
Very true, Bonochick, but in my opinion people tend to more often than not speak of gays/lesbians in primarily stereotypical terms...kind of like if everytime a woman mentioned a man it was with regard to to drinking beer and belching or if men always talked about women in terms of painting their toenails and watching soap operas.
Old 08-01-2002, 04:31 PM   #65
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:19 AM
You know what I've always found funny? A few of my friends admitted that they were bi-sexuals or lesbians. It didn't bother me at all, but it did bother some of our other friends. They would say things like, "Aren't you afraid she's going to hit on you or try to make out with you?"

So many people think that just because a woman is a lesbian that she will try to get on every single woman she encounters...just like they think that every gay man is attracted to every single man that they encounter. Sheesh, it's not like a heterosexual is attracted to every person of the opposite sex...why would it be any different for the attractions of homosexuals?

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 08-02-2002, 10:17 PM   #66
Refugee

Local Time: 07:19 AM
hmmm..This is in response to Basstraps reply and a few other replies.

In Newfoundland there arent many gays are there. When my jazz band whent there we had a grand time. All the guys decided it would be fun to dance ontop of each other in the streets, wink at any guy who looked at them funny, etc. Half the school there thought they were gay.

One thing I never did understand was why do famous gay people make it such a big deal thet they are gay? I mean, you don't see a straight person going around making a big deal about being straight. I know people say that it's not common to be gay but still, if it's natural to them why make a big deal about it?

I think I need to some out of the closet...I'm...I'm....I'm straight. *gasp!* OMG I can't believe it! What a shock..

Okay that was kinda lame. But you get my point? If someone came out of the closet and said they are gay making a big deal about it isn't wierd like that just was.

Thats just my 2 cents.
Old 08-02-2002, 11:05 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by RavenStar

One thing I never did understand was why do famous gay people make it such a big deal thet they are gay? I mean, you don't see a straight person going around making a big deal about being straight. I know people say that it's not common to be gay but still, if it's natural to them why make a big deal about it?

I think I need to some out of the closet...I'm...I'm....I'm straight. *gasp!* OMG I can't believe it! What a shock..
Perhaps it would be a shock if being straight were looked down upon as being gay has historically been and, I'm sorry to say, still is. Straight people don't make a big deal out of being straight because it is still the accepted way to be. They don't have to come out of the closet because there was no need for them to be in the closet in the first place. This was not and, frankly, still is not the case for gay people.

As for famous gay people making a big deal about their sexuality, I think it's precisely because they feel being gay is natural, not in spite of this. Not to say anything gives off the impression that it is something to hide and that they are bowing to outside pressure to keep it hidden. Proclaiming their sexuality for all to hear projects precisely the opposite view: not only is it not something to hide, it is something to be proud of.

I can see your point in terms of some celebrities using coming out as a publicity stunt, but I don't think that means we should denegrate the entire process.
Old 08-03-2002, 12:09 AM   #68
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by RavenStar
hmmm..This is in response to Basstraps reply and a few other replies.

In Newfoundland there arent many gays are there. When my jazz band whent there we had a grand time. All the guys decided it would be fun to dance ontop of each other in the streets, wink at any guy who looked at them funny, etc. Half the school there thought they were gay.

Okay that was kinda lame. But you get my point? If someone came out of the closet and said they are gay making a big deal about it isn't wierd like that just was.

Thats just my 2 cents.
Most of the time, I don't even think its the famous gay person making the big deal...its the media and the public endlessly speculating "is he or isn't he?" I think that most gay celebs/famous people would rather not discuss their sexuality but its kind of forced upon them. They can either admit it or the tabloids will out them anyway so they decide to go ahead and come out.

Straight people don't need to "admit" to anything because being straight is considered "normal" and being gay is considered "abnormal". Until society starts accepting gays as "normal" it will always be a big deal to some people.

I hate the fact that being gay means being different. I love it when someone finds another person who makes them happy, regardless if they are gay or straight. Some of my gay friends miss out on so much in life because they always have to hide one huge aspect of their life (the person they love) from their boss or their brother who wouldn't understand, etc. It sucks.
Old 08-03-2002, 04:36 PM   #69
ONE
love, blood, life

I think when Gay ppl decide to come out it is to help their movement/ppl.:idea:
DB9
Old 08-04-2002, 01:22 AM   #70
Banned

Location: my lovenest / in bed with Larry, Bono, Larry, :heart: Adam, Larry, Edge, *swoon* kisses and THUD !!!
Maybe Diamond
But so freaking what?

I mean I have brown hair naturally, but sometimes I highlight it blonde but i don't go around bragging about it because it is obvious.

But then again, there is nothing wrong with brown hair or blonde highlights. If society in America would catch up with other countries on this issue, then would we need Gay Pride parades?

ALthough I do find it courageous for individuals to fight this battle I think it is also unhealthy for them in the stress they endure and the way our culture looks down on them.

Other than a neighbor I had at my old house who was a stalker, I believe, I have no problem with homosexuality.
Old 08-06-2002, 09:29 AM   #71
Refugee

Local Time: 09:19 PM
Normal I REALLY wish STRAIGHT guys would STOP it!!

Well Diamond, welcome to the world of women. Do you have any idea what it is like to be treated like that by men every day? I can't walk down the street without being yelled out out of car windows, honked at, asked if "those legs go all the way up" (classy), or told that I have a nice rack, (even if I am walking with my dad or my little brothers!) Men at the libarary I worked at would come up to the desk and stare at my chest while pretending to talk to me. I get my ass grabbed in bars, I have head butted 6 guys in mosh pits for grabbing my chest and, well, I am fuckin sick of it. Yes I am straight, and you know what I don't appreciate it anyway. I think that the majority of straight guys have such a problem with gay men, because they don't want to be treated the way that they treat women. Two of my best friends are gay. One is a man, who is not that stupid or skanky, and the other is a woman who's wedding I am going to be in soon. They are much more courtious and smarter than the majoprity of straight guy I know. SO if you want it to not be ok for gay men to treat you that then I suggest you start treating everyone the way you want to be treated. If you are not into being sexualized then don't sexualize others. Because if it is ok for someone to do it, then it is ok for everyone to do it. Until that day I suggest you just suck it up. Damn it's a compliment. Right? At least that's what the assholes always say...
Old 08-06-2002, 09:44 AM   #72
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 06:19 AM
Quote:
Most of the time, I don't even think its the famous gay person making the big deal...its the media and the public endlessly speculating "is he or isn't he?" I think that most gay celebs/famous people would rather not discuss their sexuality but its kind of forced upon them. They can either admit it or the tabloids will out them anyway so they decide to go ahead and come out.
i agree. especially the homosexuals who have been in the music business for a while. i remember for years, people speculated about people like elton john and george michael. of course, they were privately homosexual, but didn't feel the need to flaunt it. it wasn't until they were basically sick and tired of the media speculating and bothering them that they finally admitted it.

i don't think famous people like that are necessarily uncomfortable about it or anything, they just respect their privacy. even straight celebrities are private where their personal life is concerned. there are actors who won't give the names of their boy/girlfriend, or the father of their child. even the members of U2, who don't let their children be photographed that often. it's not necessarily a straight/gay thing, but just that there are some famous people who want their privacy, and some who don't.
Old 08-06-2002, 10:29 AM   #73
BAW
The Flower

Re: I REALLY wish STRAIGHT guys would STOP it!!

Quote:
Originally posted by notiti
I think that the majority of straight guys have such a problem with gay men, because they don't want to be treated the way that they treat women. SO if you want it to not be ok for gay men to treat you that then I suggest you start treating everyone the way you want to be treated. If you are not into being sexualized then don't sexualize others. Because if it is ok for someone to do it, then it is ok for everyone to do it. Until that day I suggest you just suck it up. Damn it's a compliment. Right? At least that's what the assholes always say...
That was beautiful!
Old 08-06-2002, 10:36 AM   #74
ONE
love, blood, life

Yo-
Notiti-

The idea of the thread was..hating unwanted sexual advances..
I titled it thar way to provoke interst
Melon even understands this:idea:
Keeping it Krunk
DB9
Old 08-07-2002, 01:13 AM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
Yo-
Notiti-

The idea of the thread was..hating unwanted sexual advances..
I titled it thar way to provoke interst
Melon even understands this:idea:
Keeping it Krunk
DB9
ok, then in all fairness.....at least from what i know of you....notiti's advice is still very aplicable to you.....do unto others, right?