I need a REALLY good answer to this question. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2005, 07:21 PM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen

Pee contains urea. Some tobacco companies add urea to cigarettes.

Many of your moisterizers use Urea as their main active ingredient. Just look at the next eucerin bottle you happen to see.

Some of these "truths" are twisted some are exagerated, but by no means am I defending smoking.

I personally think cigarette companies got extremely greedy with additives, tabacco alone I see no problem with.

Old 05-26-2005, 09:55 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:16 PM
Why do people still smoke? Because most people are stupid. Maybe I should create a flag art of that:

Yellow: smart people
Blue: everyone else

Melon

Old 05-26-2005, 10:10 PM   #18
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:16 AM
who wants to help me count the smarmy self righteous attitudes displayed in this thread?
Old 05-26-2005, 10:13 PM   #19
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
who wants to help me count the smarmy self righteous attitudes displayed in this thread?
Old 05-26-2005, 10:14 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Old 05-26-2005, 10:16 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:16 AM
I know a lot of intelligent people who smoke and I have absolutely no problem with that, they have a right to do it and I do not think that it makes them lesser people.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:22 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
cool, huh? someone's been subjected to peer pressure
I think peer pressure and trying to look cool is why people start smoking when they're young. Addiction and/or the inability to kick the habit is the reason people continue smoking when they're adults.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:53 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:16 AM
Blame it on film noir,

foray
Old 05-27-2005, 05:09 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

I know how hard it is to quit (my dad has been addicted since he was 16 and has already had multiple tumors removed and he's not even 50...my grandpa had FOUR massive heart attacks before he finally quit)....so my question is: why did you START smoking?

Also, what is your definition of "social" smoking. It seems some people consider social smoking pretty much everything up to the point of pack-a-day addiction. I consider social smoking more like 1-2 ciggs a week, max.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:33 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

I smoke on rare occasions, honestly I don't even like it all that much. I only do it when I'm extremely upset about something.

I can smoke like that and not become addicted, maybe I don't have an addictive personality even though alcoholism runs in my family.

My Mother smoked from the time she was about 16. She smoked for so long when I was growing up. She quit cold turkey when our neighbor died of brain cancer and she has never smoked since then, not to my knowledge. I thought she might freak out over me smoking but she told me something to the effect that she couldn't stop me, etc. I've never smoked in front of her but I confessed to her.

I think in general people smoke and do other things like that because it is incredibly addictive and denial is an extremely powerful and persuasive force.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:10 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem who wants to help me count the smarmy self righteous attitudes displayed in this thread?

I really put some thought into my post and tried to present an alternative viewpoint on smoking but I don't think anyone read it. People don't seem to get that judgmental attitudes are also toxic (obviously they don't kill people the way second hand smoke does but I'd rather breathe second hand smoke occasionally than be around judgemental people all the time).

Anyway, being allergic to it is tough, U2Democrat. I don't know what to tell you about that but you do have laws about public smoking in your favor in most places now.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Springsteen I smoke on rare occasions, honestly I don't even like it all that much. I only do it when I'm extremely upset about something.

I can smoke like that and not become addicted, maybe I don't have an addictive personality even though alcoholism runs in my family.
Similar to me. I have never been addicted to anything and fortunately have no addictions in my family as far as anyone can trace.

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
Also, what is your definition of "social" smoking. It seems some people consider social smoking pretty much everything up to the point of pack-a-day addiction. I consider social smoking more like 1-2 ciggs a week, max.
I agree with you.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:56 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:16 PM
Sure people have a right to smoke, but shouldn't I also have the right to breathe cleaner air without the risk of having a severe allergy attack and possibly dying?

Shouldn't all people who don't want to second hand smoke have the right to breathe clean air too?
Old 05-27-2005, 11:02 AM   #28
War Child

Everyone around me used to smoke when I was growing up. My parents tried to quit but could never quite manage to do it.
My mother was stricken with oral cancer, partially attributed to smoking. She lost her tongue. She had no choice but to quit then cold turkey obviously. But still living alongside her and taking care of her, my father to this day still smokes. She passed away many years ago now.

And I often ask him why he doesnt quit....I think it is because he enjoys it. He enjoys the taste etc from it...that is all I can figure. Me I never smoked. But that is my preference, much as smoking is his or someone elses. THose that say well it becomes my problem aka second hand smoke, but you can say the same thing about pollusion, smog, and everything else in this world, like it or hate it it will always be around you.

anyhow just my .02
Old 05-27-2005, 11:14 AM   #29
Babyface

Hey everyone has a vice.
Some people are over weight from eating too much some drink too much alcohol and some do illegal drugs.
I try not to judge, to each their own.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:40 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
These are from www.thetruth.com:
In the mid 90's, a major tobacco company planned on boosting sales of their cigarettes by targeting a new consumer market: gays and homeless people. They called their plan Project Sub-Culture Urban Marketing. Also known as Project SCUM.
if that's true, that's incredibly offensive.
Quote:
Originally posted by foray
Blame it on film noir,

foray
and rock 'n' roll.