I made a promise... and I'm keeping it...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
FYM will no longer be a war zone...
be warned.

If you cant discuss without attacking someone or a group, etc.. you best take it out of FYM... and off Feedback.

One member has already been voted off the island (fym).

Also..
If anyone thinks they can mod this place, in addition to the current mods...
step up, and email me privately.

Joel

I am sorry I cannot agree with this.

The person in question has given a lot to this place. I would take his place in doom for the sake of his ability to share religious beliefs to those with a spiritual yearning.

Respectfully though, I urge you to ponder why it has become a war zone. Two opposing sides, as usual in a debate. I honestly feel the majority rule here. Yet I do see both sides, though it is not always clear.

I for one am tired of fighting though, if we are calling it that.

And I will email you, please consider what I have said.

z edge said:
I am sorry I cannot agree with this.

Z,

Although this may sound harsh...
I don't care if you agree with this or not.
I issued a warning prior.
I carried out what I said I would.
I don't care who is on what side.
I'm not picking sides.
I AM singling out those that continually 'start shit'.

I'm really tired of having to hear people whine about what goes on in here, and then having to break up the fights.

Also, I will be announcing a new mod soon, which I feel will be fair no matter their personal standing.

Elvis-
Plez do NOT consider myself for Moderation purposes..
In my limited mental capcity I do think it would behoove the forum's best interset if any cosideration of my nomination b waived:angry:.:wave:

I also do not feel sexy enough to b a Mod.
Im a Rocker..:dance:

Thank you-

DB9:dance: :banghead: :cool:

Last edited:
diamond said:
Elvis-
Plez do NOT consider myself for Moderation purposes..
In my limited mental capcity I do think it would behoove the forum's best interset if any cosideration of my nomination b waived:angry:.:wave:

I also do not feel sexy enough to b a Mod.
Im a Rocker..:dance:

Thank you-

DB9:dance: :banghead: :cool:

No worries Dave...

No one even pondered the thought ;)

Besides, anyone that has been denied access to FYM previously is not able to be a mod.

z edge said:

The person in question has given a lot to this place. I would take his place in doom for the sake of his ability to share religious beliefs to those with a spiritual yearning.

i also believe that your revoking of this person's privelage to speak in this forum is totally unwarranted. this individual brought some much needed balance to this forum. in all fairness, i have not seen one thing that justifies your decision in this matter. my only theory is that you've made this decision based on the fact that you, along with certain moderators, can't be bothered with strong opinions that get other's panties in a wad for no reason. this individual has shown nothing but passion and class in his arguments.

i guess as long as you hold one of the diluted and re-hashed opinions commonly found around here, you'll be just fine.

TripThruUreWires said:
i also believe that your revoking of this person's privelage to speak in this forum is totally unwarranted. this individual brought some much needed balance to this forum.

Um?? :| This individual brings controversy and fights to this forum.

in all fairness, i have not seen one thing that justifies your decision in this matter. my only theory is that you've made this decision based on the fact that you, along with certain moderators, can't be bothered with strong opinions that get other's panties in a wad for no reason. this individual has shown nothing but passion and class in his arguments.

:rolleyes: passion and class?? His continuous nitpicking of me for one shows no class whatsoever. His constant arguments with melon and the way he belittles people for another.

Are you reading the same posts I am??

The individual in question, in recent days, brought very little to this forum apart from interminable posts and a high-and-mighty attitude that detracted from anything useful he might be trying to say. He was not a healthy influence, in my opinion.

No one was alone in their decision to help this individual take, shall we say, a vacation from FYM. Some of you may not know this, but it takes more than one annoyed mod or admin--more than one REALLY annoyed mod or admin, too--to have someone suspended. Elvis is loathe to suspend the posting privileges of any member of Interference; he only does so when he has been asked, repeatedly, by several other members of the Interference community. Not that Elvis should have to be defended for his decisions, as he does so graciously provide this place to us, but hey, I was here... ;)

We've added a new mod to this forum (the always-insightful and well-respected Lilly), and things will continue to be watched closely. But no one is reneging on this decision. Attitudes such as the one this post-er consistently showed in his posts--that is to say a consistent display of condescension and closed-mindedness, coupled with a holier-than-thou tone which was more than irritating--are unwelcome. And while that alone is perhaps not enough to get someone suspended, his constant negative commentary on some of the leaders of this place--the same people who, may I remind you, give voluntarily of their time, effort, and MONEY to keep this place going--surely helped to seal the deal.

Thank you. You may now return to your regularly scheduled debates on George W. Bush, abortion, homosexuality, environmentalism, breakfast cereal, emus, and your favorite member of N*SYNC.

Allow me to untwist my panties for a sec and ask this one question that puzzles me. What makes people think that it is the opinion of a moderator that leads individuals to be banned from here? It seems we are thought of as this united front out to quell certain groups and their ideals, or in this case, certain individuals. Our main purpose here is to close threads that become nothing more than a boxing ring and hear complaints anyone has about particular posts. Our personal opinions are listened to by the admins no more or less than anyone else. We do not have the power to see people banned. It is interference as a whole that sees to that. If it can be seen that too many people aren't happy with the contributions by someone, the unfortunate decision is reached that their account is terminated. It takes a long time for this to happen. It is not a decision reached from the bias of an admin or mod.

Angela Harlem said:
Allow me to untwist my panties for a sec and ask this one question that puzzles me. What makes people think that it is the opinion of a moderator that leads individuals to be banned from here? It seems we are thought of as this united front out to quell certain groups and their ideals, or in this case, certain individuals. Our main purpose here is to close threads that become nothing more than a boxing ring and hear complaints anyone has about particular posts. Our personal opinions are listened to by the admins no more or less than anyone else. We do not have the power to see people banned. It is interference as a whole that sees to that. If it can be seen that too many people aren't happy with the contributions by someone, the unfortunate decision is reached that their account is terminated. It takes a long time for this to happen. It is not a decision reached from the bias of an admin or mod.

I don't think that this character (let's call him "A. Bubba" for sake of argument...no, that's too obvious, let's call him "Achtung B." instead...) has been any more virulent or self-righteous than a number of other individuals on this board, and I don't see any reason for these other individuals to be banned either.

I think that this particular character's *opinions* put him over the threshold of outrage of those readers who desired/petitioned to have him banned, and that's not right.

Last edited:
speedracer said:

I don't think that this character (let's call him "A. Bubba" for sake of argument...no, that's too obvious, let's call him "Achtung B." instead...) has been any more virulent or self-righteous than a number of other individuals on this board, and I don't see any reason for these other individuals to be banned either.

No?

Perhaps then, you'd like to use the nifty 'search' function of this forum.

Search for all posts made by say.. Bubba
Then COUNT how many times a personal attack is made, a name is called, etc. Then, for example, start searching on other frequent FYM posters - and do the same. Let me know the results - in this thread, and please cite examples.

I've talked/IMd with Bubba, and I've simply told him to lay low, drop the topic - not to argue with me about the decision, and perhaps I'd reconsider after a period of time. I explained my position to him EXPLICITLY, and he said that he understood and would do as asked.

Bubba has not dropped the topic with me, and has since continued to rehash, over and over, the same thing with me... either via PM or IM. This is the SAME thing he does in here, he will not drop a topic until he gets the response he wants.

If the mods/admins are against the 'conservative' minority in this forum... how come other 'conservative' members are still in good standing with myself and other mods/admins? Again, I must emphasize that this is NOT an issue of bias, just one of unruliness (not to mention, this isnt my favorite thing to be discussing at 7am on a Saturday).

If someone were to constantly brow beat the idea that everyone must accept homosexuality (for example), it would most likely fall into the same scenario. It's fine to debate, and even argue points, but once the respect for someone else to hold their own views has been lost, there is NO hope for that debate, it's going no where.

There are two things that really annoy me, and most likely the other mods/admins (yet, I will let them speak for themselves):

a) someone constantly making personal attacks

b) someone ignoring the authority and requests of those that moderate and run this place

Joel

Elvis said:

If the mods/admins are against the 'conservative' minority in this forum... how come other 'conservative' members are still in good standing with myself and other mods/admins? Again, I must emphasize that this is NOT an issue of bias, just one of unruliness (not to mention, this isnt my favorite thing to be discussing at 7am on a Saturday).

Like Diamond and Me? LOL, we are in good standings??? Or maybe you were referring to Lemonite:lmao::laugh:

There are two things that really annoy me, and most likely the other mods/admins (yet, I will let them speak for themselves):

a) someone constantly making personal attacks

b) someone ignoring the authority and requests of those that moderate and run this place

Joel

I am no saint, but the night before FYM was closed for a couple of days I pointed out 15 or so instances where I was called a coward (5 times in one post with knowledge of by a certain mod) and had massive personal attacks made against me. There was no response on this because I had just severly flamed one of the individuals involved and they probably figured it was a wash, but still?

Another individual mentioned sarcastically that they hoped my toys didn't blow up in my hands (re: bombs), after they called me stupid. I don't find that very humorous.

(I accidentally hit enter before finishing my post)
I have had a good response with mods since the re-opening of FYM, however with the notable exception of thursday (?) night.

And I am saying this for the record only, not that I want any action taken as we need to move on. I have to get back to work so enjoy your saturday.

Last edited:
Brother Z-
Your best posture is to argue pleasantly and tactifully in FYM.:up:
When you argue this way, it disarms the opposition by surprise.

If you get nasty like a few ..you lose.
Fight the good fight stealthfully, calmly and startigically.
Choose your battles carefully.
Dont 'blow your load' to qwikly.
Im w you.

Now-
All Im gonna say as one of the most one of the most nortoriuos/abrassive posters here ,ANYBODY can post let me being here b a testament to THAT fact.

There are a few if they had their way they would HAVE MY TESTICLES but fairness prevailed at the end of the day:)
Im sure Bubba will b back after a spell ,the Spirit of U2's Music and the Spirit of Interference.Com welcome diversity and inclusivness...

My thoughts:)

Peace-
diamond

I have pondered this topic in reading responses from all sides here.

First off, I would say to leave the Bubba issue to Elvis. As it appears, there is a lot going on behind the scenes (i.e., the e-mails, chats, and PMs) that NONE of us here is outwardly familiar with. This is certainly Elvis' forum, so allow him to deal with it as he chooses.

Secondly, yes, this is just a forum; but there seems to be a total lack of professionalism about the forum debates. Certainly, I do not expect everyone to be "professional," per se, but I think the *easiest* thing that can be done is to separate the person from their arguments. Speaking solely for myself, I change my mind a lot, as I am often throwing out ideas I'm currently grappling with. I'm certain that many here also do the same thing. Going back, vengefully, and digging up year old posts from someone just to stick it to them is *not* what this forum should be.

Third, due to the deregulatory climate of the internet, this site is *not* a guaranteed democracy! I have visited forums that choose to abide by the deregulatory, democratic model, and what are they? Utter chaos! This entire forum is what it is today, because of how it is moderated. Certainly, not all decisions are going to sound fair, and certainly, I'm sure we are allowed to protest decisions in a mature matter (which I believe I have done when I have had grievances in the past few months). Having a temper tantrum is *not* a mature way to handle grievances.

I think, ultimately, we just have to go back to common sense and treat others here the way you would expect to be treated. Certainly none of us--including myself--are perfect, but I do think that disagreement can be done in a mature, professional, and respectful manner.

As many of you know, I have had my own belligerant history with Bubba, but I have always separated him as a person from his posts (even if it isn't always obvious), which is often why I have often been receptive to trying to reconcile (hence, my willingness to reply in his most recent Biblical thread). In addition, I have also spoken with many of the most "infamous" conservative members of this forum (mostly through PMs), where I have certainly found redeemable qualities in all of them, even though we will never agree on many subjects--but we also found some common ground. I implore you all to, at least, try and do the same for the rest of each other, and, perhaps, this place will be more habitable.

Melon

Elvis said:

If this was entirely your decision, fine. It's your board, do what you want with it.

What I attempted to argue was that instances of incivility on Bubba's part, in my opinion, are being punished more severely than instances of incivility on the part of others.

speedracer said:

If this was entirely your decision, fine. It's your board, do what you want with it.

What I attempted to argue was that instances of incivility on Bubba's part, in my opinion, are being punished more severely than instances of incivility on the part of others.

First, "IF"? Thanks for telling me how the board should be run, and that only I am able to make this decision. Let me make you aware of the fact that there is another admin of this board, although not the owner, she has nearly all of the authority as I do - that authority should be respected. We also have close to 20 other mods now... all of which are now involved in a private forum for mods/admins where forum issues are discussed... their input is vital to how the board is run.

I see you've been a member of this forum since early 2001, in which case you may also know that Bubba was the admin of the board for a very long time - he out of anyone else, knows what is NOT acceptable. Bubba has a vibrant history over the past year, more so than almost anyone else in FYM... this isnt a big secret.

Awww, A. Bubba. I was wondering who we were talking about.

You know, even though A Bubba never once agreed with me on anything (that I recall), I learned a lot of religion from his posts. He may have made more than his share of personal attacks (I received a few myself), but I am willing to accept that form of bashing if we can still have an educated, mindful voice in the forum.

That's not to say that I don't give Elvis the benefit of the doubt. AS mentioned earlier in this forum, he knows more about this than anyone else. More power to you, Elvis.

My vote goes to the undecided column. I'll miss A. Bubba, but Elvis is in charge and I know he wouldn't terminate someone's membership for frivilous reasons.

I have had some rough debates with BUBBA myself. BUBBA and I had a thread where it was the two of us hashing it out past 100 posts. Despite the fact that it got a bit rough sometimes, I really enjoyed debating with him on the issue's, I think he means well. I'm very disappointed that he has been banned from the forum and wonder why others have not been banned, if what he did was so out of line. BUBBA contributed far more to this place than the number of times he was a bit rough. My main point is that having him banned is a NET loss to this place, and I have questions about whether judgment and justice is being applied equally or selectively. I don't have all the info and havn't seen every post, this is just my opinion from what I have seen, and a person who has been involved in intense long debates with Bubba in the past. I hope that he is admitted back to the forum sometime in the future.

STING2 said:
My main point is that having him banned is a NET loss to this place, and I have questions about whether judgment and justice is being applied equally or selectively. I don't have all the info and havn't seen every post, this is just my opinion from what I have seen, and a person who has been involved in intense long debates with Bubba in the past. I hope that he is admitted back to the forum sometime in the future.

losing anyone from fym is going to change the balance previously held. elvis made the call, and what elvis says here goes whether you think it's judgement or justice.

lilly :heart:

I've been a member of this forum for over 2 years now(first as STING then STING2, somehow one day they lost my STING account) and am well aware of who Elvis is and his authority. I was just offering an opinion and hope it did not offend anyone.

*Danospano.. In general.. never give a person in power the benefit of the doubt...

*Isn't it a sacred rule in any business, organization, or hell.. even one of those scandalously propagandish Non Profit Shitholes, to protect the existing capital.

*So the challenge is to groom another Bubba eh?... I've seen promise in LeggyLatina.. Gentlemen, the potential is there.. Oh yes it is there.

*Z. Edge.. You're a Lovable and Oh So Cute Asshole...

*Can I impose a restriction for no Pre-Pubescent Idealistic Teenage Girls to become Mods?

*Oh, by the way.. Thanks Elvis for making me the new mod of Free Your Mind.

Dropping a Duece in my sink,
L.Unplugged

Back
Top Bottom