"I Kept My Promise"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

80sU2isBest

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
This chaps my hide....

Michael Schiavo just had to get the final parting shots at Terri's parents; problem is he used her tombstone to do it. How inappropriate; how mind-boggling inappropriate. ..

Schiavo parents upset by grave inscription

FLORIDA -- Terri Schiavo's husband buried her cremated remains Monday in Clearwater, inscribing "I kept my promise" on her bronze grave marker. Michael Schiavo also listed Feb. 25, 1990, on the marker as the date his wife "Departed this Earth." That's the day his wife collapsed and fell into what most doctors said was an irreversible vegetative state. Terri Schiavo died March 31. The grave marker lists that date as when Schiavo was "at peace." The inscription inflamed her parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, who had waged a long legal battle to keep their severely brain-damaged daughter alive. They also said that they had not been notified about the service beforehand.

(1)A tombstone is supposed to be a tribute to the one whose body is buried. And yet, by putting "I kept my promise" on there, Michael is glorifying himself, not her, and saying "I did the right thing!". The tombstone is not the place to do that.

(2)By putting the 1990 date on there, he is firing one more shot at the parents.

-- The Associated Press

1. I agree the marker should be about her and not about him.

2. I agree with the date though, for that is when she died, I think it's a shame her body was kept breathing for no reason.

I wouldn't doubt that he hates her parents. That's clear. I'd probably hate them too; they sound like very irrational people.

Regardless, whether or not her parents are good or bad people or whether Michael is a good or bad person, the science very clearly dictated that she had no hope for recovery, and I'm glad that her soul is now free to be in heaven. I'll let God deal with Michael and her parents on His own time.

Melon

80sU2isBest said:

You'd probably give a couple if Terri was your daughter.

yes, i might. but she's not. she's not any of our daughters. to my knowledge she is not even any one of our relations. it is madness to think that a personal family problem is somehow national news. it's personal and everyone should just stay the hell out of it, in my opinion. if my parents were getting a divorce i wouldn't appreciate the nuances of the situation being discussed on some anonymous message board. this world is full of problems and frankly terri shiavo's grave only concerns about 3 out of a few billion people.

Se7en said:

yes, i might. but she's not. she's not any of our daughters. to my knowledge she is not even any one of our relations. it is madness to think that a personal family problem is somehow national news. it's personal and everyone should just stay the hell out of it, in my opinion. if my parents were getting a divorce i wouldn't appreciate the nuances of the situation being discussed on some anonymous message board. this world is full of problems and frankly terri shiavo's grave only concerns about 3 out of a few billion people.

It's news; one of the things we discuss in this forum is news.

Did you protest when the results of her autopsy were posted on this forum? I don't remember you doing so. If not, why not?

I totally agree with se7en!

It none of your bleedin' business. Ya its news because people like yourself make it news. What is news, a creation of a few reporters!

It has no effect on you what is written on her gravestone, you dont know her. I can understand it is in very poor taste but its not our wife now is it!

I've seen weirder things on gravestones......either way, it's just a hunk of granite. Pretty lame on Michael's part, but her parents are welcome to construct and ten-story memorial to her if they so choose.

80sU2isBest said:

It's news; one of the things we discuss in this forum is news.

Did you protest when the results of her autopsy were posted on this forum? I don't remember you doing so. If not, why not?

because i honestly don't believe i've commented on any aspect of this situation more than a time or two and it's been a while at that. i think it's just starting to go a little bit too far.

bonoman said:
I totally agree with se7en!

It none of your bleedin' business. Ya its news because people like yourself make it news. What is news, a creation of a few reporters!

It has no effect on you what is written on her gravestone, you dont know her. I can understand it is in very poor taste but its not our wife now is it!

bonoman, there are many things that make news that are discussed in these forums that have no effect on us, but we still discuss it.

Michael Schiavo did this with the intent of making Terri's parents mad. If he has any brains in his head, he had to know that the respectful thing to put on his wife's tombstone would be something good about her such as "loving wife", "wonderful woman", etc. But he chose to have inscribed something about himself instead. He had to have known how disrespectful that was, and yet he did it anyway. He also had to know it would make the news. HE made this news, not me.

80sU2isBest said:

Michael Schiavo did this with the intent of making Terri's parents mad. If he has any brains in his head, he had to know that the respectful thing to put on his wife's tombstone would be something good about her such as "loving wife", "wonderful woman", etc. But he chose to have inscribed something about himself instead. He had to have known how disrespectful that was, and yet he did it anyway. He also had to know it would make the news. HE made this news, not me.

Maybe he did, but I think we've got to give the man some space here. I mean, can you imagine what it would be like for your spouse to just drop into a coma one day and stay a vegetable for ten years...and then when you're finally ready to let go and move on, her parents drag you into court and turn the whole thing into a Playing God sob story....and then she dies and you find out all those years when you tried and tried to help and thought maybe just maybe there would be some improvement, there wasn't and never would've been. I would be mad too if I were him. Mad at God, mad at her parents, mad at this country for having nothing better to care about (or having LOTS better to care about but not caring about it) than someone's personal business.....

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Maybe he did, but I think we've got to give the man some space here. I mean, can you imagine what it would be like for your spouse to just drop into a coma one day and stay a vegetable for ten years...and then when you're finally ready to let go and move on, her parents drag you into court and turn the whole thing into a Playing God sob story....and then she dies and you find out all those years when you tried and tried to help and thought maybe just maybe there would be some improvement, there wasn't and never would've been. I would be mad too if I were him. Mad at God, mad at her parents, mad at this country for having nothing better to care about (or having LOTS better to care about but not caring about it) than someone's personal business.....

:up:

I think it's too bad people are still getting their shorts in a bunch over something that should have been a private issue, as it is for many, many people every single day.

People make digs at each other every day, I don't see that this is any more worthy of outrage than any other family squabble (because that's exactly what it is, especially now).

As for the quotation...maybe she just really liked that song in Evita.

sorry for that rant if it was a bit harsh, but just remember, EVERYONE involved is/was a human being and last time I checked all humans have emotions and feelings and yes we all make mistakes and sometimes do dumb things in the heat of the moment. Like others have said, nobody won here, nobody. Why can't we just let the people who have a right to be involved in the first place grieve in whatever way is right for them to grieve and be done with it?

indra said:
I think it's too bad people are still getting their shorts in a bunch over something that should have been a private issue, as it is for many, many people every single day.

People make digs at each other every day, I don't see that this is any more worthy of outrage than any other family squabble (because that's exactly what it is, especially now).

As for the quotation...maybe she just really liked that song in Evita.

lol, that's what I thought the thread was about when I checked it--that the Perons were making the news again for some reason!

It is a tasteless epitaph, and indicative of a terrible family squabble about some terribly charged issues. My own mom was in a hospice type facility while the Schiavo thing was being played out so publicly. Her brain was fine they said, she just wasn't getting better energy-wise after a surgery and subsequent infections. Such horrible decisions and opportunities for second-guessing that presents. They say there's really nothing we can do. IS that true?! How do you know? They say there's no chance we can help her, and categorize her as 'unresponsive'. Well, what the hell is wrong exactly? No satisfying answers, just frustrations. And then the decisions. With no living will, you gotta guess. I couldn't have decided, at least not for the number of months in which it was relevant, to do something like withhold feeding and hydration. Only relatively extensive functional testing could address what was possibly being processed.

This is making me think of the inspiration for the lyrics to Miracle Drug...wasn't it about some classmate of the lads who was in this very non-responsive state and basically written off as utterly handicapped and non-functional but his mom believed he wasn't and then he got the right meds and all the poetry he was creating while 'unresponsive' started pouring out?
It's such a tricky scene, that schiavo kinda deal, because you just don't know what the inner life is like for the person and withholding food and water feels like cruelty.

So, in a way, I suppose I can understand Michael Schiavo's need to state he did what she wanted, because he too had to have had doubts about his decision. He argued that she wouldn't have wanted to be kept alive like that, and anyone who had to endure withholding food and water from someone he loved must have gone through at least a little hell for it. It can't have the same feel as deciding just to not have people jump on her chest and crush her ribs if her heart stopped and let her die peacefully instead...

Back
Top Bottom