"I Kept My Promise" - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2005, 04:05 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:17 AM
"I Kept My Promise"

This chaps my hide....

Michael Schiavo just had to get the final parting shots at Terri's parents; problem is he used her tombstone to do it. How inappropriate; how mind-boggling inappropriate. ..

Schiavo parents upset by grave inscription

FLORIDA -- Terri Schiavo's husband buried her cremated remains Monday in Clearwater, inscribing "I kept my promise" on her bronze grave marker. Michael Schiavo also listed Feb. 25, 1990, on the marker as the date his wife "Departed this Earth." That's the day his wife collapsed and fell into what most doctors said was an irreversible vegetative state. Terri Schiavo died March 31. The grave marker lists that date as when Schiavo was "at peace." The inscription inflamed her parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, who had waged a long legal battle to keep their severely brain-damaged daughter alive. They also said that they had not been notified about the service beforehand.

(1)A tombstone is supposed to be a tribute to the one whose body is buried. And yet, by putting "I kept my promise" on there, Michael is glorifying himself, not her, and saying "I did the right thing!". The tombstone is not the place to do that.

(2)By putting the 1990 date on there, he is firing one more shot at the parents.

-- The Associated Press

Old 06-21-2005, 04:10 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:17 AM
1. I agree the marker should be about her and not about him.

2. I agree with the date though, for that is when she died, I think it's a shame her body was kept breathing for no reason.

Old 06-21-2005, 04:13 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

I wouldn't doubt that he hates her parents. That's clear. I'd probably hate them too; they sound like very irrational people.

Regardless, whether or not her parents are good or bad people or whether Michael is a good or bad person, the science very clearly dictated that she had no hope for recovery, and I'm glad that her soul is now free to be in heaven. I'll let God deal with Michael and her parents on His own time.

Melon
Old 06-21-2005, 04:18 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:17 AM
Can I have one of you talk yourselves up on my gravestone?

Yeah, thats moronic
I can understand the date, Ive got no prob with that...
fleh, Im just sick of hearing anything about this period
Old 06-21-2005, 04:48 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:17 AM
I agree, he shouldn't be talking about himself on the gravestone. And yes, she died on 31 March of this year.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:21 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

why should anyone give two shits???????
Old 06-21-2005, 05:33 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en
why should anyone give two shits???????
You'd probably give a couple if Terri was your daughter.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:52 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

You'd probably give a couple if Terri was your daughter.
yes, i might. but she's not. she's not any of our daughters. to my knowledge she is not even any one of our relations. it is madness to think that a personal family problem is somehow national news. it's personal and everyone should just stay the hell out of it, in my opinion. if my parents were getting a divorce i wouldn't appreciate the nuances of the situation being discussed on some anonymous message board. this world is full of problems and frankly terri shiavo's grave only concerns about 3 out of a few billion people.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:20 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en

yes, i might. but she's not. she's not any of our daughters. to my knowledge she is not even any one of our relations. it is madness to think that a personal family problem is somehow national news. it's personal and everyone should just stay the hell out of it, in my opinion. if my parents were getting a divorce i wouldn't appreciate the nuances of the situation being discussed on some anonymous message board. this world is full of problems and frankly terri shiavo's grave only concerns about 3 out of a few billion people.
It's news; one of the things we discuss in this forum is news.

Did you protest when the results of her autopsy were posted on this forum? I don't remember you doing so. If not, why not?
Old 06-21-2005, 07:35 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 03:17 AM
I totally agree with se7en!

It none of your bleedin' business. Ya its news because people like yourself make it news. What is news, a creation of a few reporters!

It has no effect on you what is written on her gravestone, you dont know her. I can understand it is in very poor taste but its not our wife now is it!
Old 06-21-2005, 07:49 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

I've seen weirder things on gravestones......either way, it's just a hunk of granite. Pretty lame on Michael's part, but her parents are welcome to construct and ten-story memorial to her if they so choose.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:52 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

It's news; one of the things we discuss in this forum is news.

Did you protest when the results of her autopsy were posted on this forum? I don't remember you doing so. If not, why not?
because i honestly don't believe i've commented on any aspect of this situation more than a time or two and it's been a while at that. i think it's just starting to go a little bit too far.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:08 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
I totally agree with se7en!

It none of your bleedin' business. Ya its news because people like yourself make it news. What is news, a creation of a few reporters!

It has no effect on you what is written on her gravestone, you dont know her. I can understand it is in very poor taste but its not our wife now is it!
bonoman, there are many things that make news that are discussed in these forums that have no effect on us, but we still discuss it.

Michael Schiavo did this with the intent of making Terri's parents mad. If he has any brains in his head, he had to know that the respectful thing to put on his wife's tombstone would be something good about her such as "loving wife", "wonderful woman", etc. But he chose to have inscribed something about himself instead. He had to have known how disrespectful that was, and yet he did it anyway. He also had to know it would make the news. HE made this news, not me.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:13 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Michael Schiavo did this with the intent of making Terri's parents mad. If he has any brains in his head, he had to know that the respectful thing to put on his wife's tombstone would be something good about her such as "loving wife", "wonderful woman", etc. But he chose to have inscribed something about himself instead. He had to have known how disrespectful that was, and yet he did it anyway. He also had to know it would make the news. HE made this news, not me.
Maybe he did, but I think we've got to give the man some space here. I mean, can you imagine what it would be like for your spouse to just drop into a coma one day and stay a vegetable for ten years...and then when you're finally ready to let go and move on, her parents drag you into court and turn the whole thing into a Playing God sob story....and then she dies and you find out all those years when you tried and tried to help and thought maybe just maybe there would be some improvement, there wasn't and never would've been. I would be mad too if I were him. Mad at God, mad at her parents, mad at this country for having nothing better to care about (or having LOTS better to care about but not caring about it) than someone's personal business.....
Old 06-21-2005, 08:14 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

Maybe he did, but I think we've got to give the man some space here. I mean, can you imagine what it would be like for your spouse to just drop into a coma one day and stay a vegetable for ten years...and then when you're finally ready to let go and move on, her parents drag you into court and turn the whole thing into a Playing God sob story....and then she dies and you find out all those years when you tried and tried to help and thought maybe just maybe there would be some improvement, there wasn't and never would've been. I would be mad too if I were him. Mad at God, mad at her parents, mad at this country for having nothing better to care about (or having LOTS better to care about but not caring about it) than someone's personal business.....