"I Kept My Promise" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2005, 08:16 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:17 PM
I think it's too bad people are still getting their shorts in a bunch over something that should have been a private issue, as it is for many, many people every single day.

People make digs at each other every day, I don't see that this is any more worthy of outrage than any other family squabble (because that's exactly what it is, especially now).

As for the quotation...maybe she just really liked that song in Evita.

Old 06-21-2005, 08:16 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:17 PM
sorry for that rant if it was a bit harsh, but just remember, EVERYONE involved is/was a human being and last time I checked all humans have emotions and feelings and yes we all make mistakes and sometimes do dumb things in the heat of the moment. Like others have said, nobody won here, nobody. Why can't we just let the people who have a right to be involved in the first place grieve in whatever way is right for them to grieve and be done with it?

Old 06-22-2005, 07:22 PM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
I think it's too bad people are still getting their shorts in a bunch over something that should have been a private issue, as it is for many, many people every single day.

People make digs at each other every day, I don't see that this is any more worthy of outrage than any other family squabble (because that's exactly what it is, especially now).

As for the quotation...maybe she just really liked that song in Evita.
lol, that's what I thought the thread was about when I checked it--that the Perons were making the news again for some reason!

It is a tasteless epitaph, and indicative of a terrible family squabble about some terribly charged issues. My own mom was in a hospice type facility while the Schiavo thing was being played out so publicly. Her brain was fine they said, she just wasn't getting better energy-wise after a surgery and subsequent infections. Such horrible decisions and opportunities for second-guessing that presents. They say there's really nothing we can do. IS that true?! How do you know? They say there's no chance we can help her, and categorize her as 'unresponsive'. Well, what the hell is wrong exactly? No satisfying answers, just frustrations. And then the decisions. With no living will, you gotta guess. I couldn't have decided, at least not for the number of months in which it was relevant, to do something like withhold feeding and hydration. Only relatively extensive functional testing could address what was possibly being processed.

This is making me think of the inspiration for the lyrics to Miracle Drug...wasn't it about some classmate of the lads who was in this very non-responsive state and basically written off as utterly handicapped and non-functional but his mom believed he wasn't and then he got the right meds and all the poetry he was creating while 'unresponsive' started pouring out?
It's such a tricky scene, that schiavo kinda deal, because you just don't know what the inner life is like for the person and withholding food and water feels like cruelty.

So, in a way, I suppose I can understand Michael Schiavo's need to state he did what she wanted, because he too had to have had doubts about his decision. He argued that she wouldn't have wanted to be kept alive like that, and anyone who had to endure withholding food and water from someone he loved must have gone through at least a little hell for it. It can't have the same feel as deciding just to not have people jump on her chest and crush her ribs if her heart stopped and let her die peacefully instead...