I Hope You Had The Time Of Your Life - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2006, 12:59 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:01 AM
I Hope You Had The Time Of Your Life

Obviously the real and important issue is the approval of the constitutional amendment , but what the? Meanwhile same sex couples everywhere are getting along very well..

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/05/....ap/index.html

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A Senate committee approved a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage Thursday, after a shouting match that ended when one Democrat strode out and the Republican chairman bid him "good riddance."

"I don't need to be lectured by you. You are no more a protector of the Constitution than am I," Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter, R-Pennsylvania, shouted after Sen. Russ Feingold declared his opposition to the amendment, his affinity for the Constitution and his intention to leave the meeting.

"If you want to leave, good riddance," Specter finished.

"I've enjoyed your lecture, too, Mr. Chairman," replied Feingold, D-Wisconsin, who is considering a run for president in 2008. "See ya."

"Marriage in the United States shall consist only of the union of a man and a woman," reads the measure, which would require approval by two-thirds of Congress and three-fourths of the states.

"Neither this Constitution, nor the constitution of any State, shall be construed to require that marriage or the legal incidents thereof be conferred upon any union other than the union of a man and a woman," it says.

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist has scheduled a vote on the proposed amendment the week of June 5."

Old 05-18-2006, 01:23 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:01 AM
The further corosion of our constitution and society...

Idiots and Bigots shaping our country...

Old 05-18-2006, 01:49 PM   #3
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Sickening.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:58 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

They must be noticing how our society up here in Canada is crumbling after we legalized gay marriage. I mean, we're barely holding it together up here and all.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:00 PM   #5
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

The Westboro Baptist Church and the Taliban will be proud.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:11 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:01 PM

I thought Arlen Specter was better than that. Obviously I was wrong. This absolutely sickens me.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:33 PM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

it won't pass.

but even still, the authors of this amendments can all go off and fuck their various mistresses.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:08 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
it won't pass.

it does not need to

they just need to get decent Christians (who hate the sin, not the sinner) to the polls in November.

part of the Rove morally bankrupt electioneering strategy
Old 05-18-2006, 03:31 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:01 AM
Quote:
United States

One Nation Under God

In the 18th, 19th, and early 20th century, many American states passed anti-miscegenation laws, often based on controversed interpretations of the Bible , particularly the story of Phinehas. Typically a felony, these laws prohibited the solemnization of weddings between persons of different ethnic groups and prohibited the officiating of such ceremonies. Sometimes the individuals attempting to marry would not be held guilty of miscegenation itself, but felony charges of adultery or fornication would brought against them instead; Vermont was the only state to never introduce such legislation. The constitutionality of anti-miscegenation laws was upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court in the 1883 case Pace v. Alabama. In 1965, Virginia trial court judge Leon Bazile sentenced to jail an interethnic couple who got married in Washington, D.C., writing:

Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix.

This decision was eventually overturned in 1967, 84 years after Pace v. Alabama, when the U.S. Supreme Court ruled unanimously in Loving v. Virginia that

Marriage is one of the 'basic civil rights of man,' fundamental to our very existence and survival.... To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes, classifications so directly subversive of the principle of equality at the heart of the Fourteenth Amendment, is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law.
At the time that anti-miscegenation laws were ruled unconstitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court, 16 states still had laws prohibiting interethnic marriage. Those laws were not completely repealed until November 2000, when Alabama became the last state to repeal its law.

Old 05-18-2006, 04:43 PM   #10
Refugee

Specter opposes the amendment, by the way.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:34 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
They must be noticing how our society up here in Canada is crumbling after we legalized gay marriage. I mean, we're barely holding it together up here and all.

I have the sneaking suspicion that Canada will still be chugging right along long after we have imploded.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:45 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Feingold has nothing but my respect. If he chooses to run for President, he has my vote in the primary. Hands down.

Melon
Old 05-18-2006, 07:53 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:01 AM

Why don't they tackle issues that matter, like healthcare? Pretty soon my healthcare will be more than my mortgage
Old 05-18-2006, 08:20 PM   #14
War Child

this is ridiculous
Old 05-18-2006, 09:13 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64

Why don't they tackle issues that matter, like healthcare? Pretty soon my healthcare will be more than my mortgage
becaues no one has any real solutions for real problems.